Windows 10: Windows 10 issue with MP4, games no 5.1 surround via Nvidia HDMI

Discus and support Windows 10 issue with MP4, games no 5.1 surround via Nvidia HDMI in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, If I used Netflix APP I get 5.1 surround, so far, that is the only way I can get full 5.1 surround sound with windows 10. Games, MP4's or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MikeBelcher, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Windows 10 issue with MP4, games no 5.1 surround via Nvidia HDMI

Hello,

If I used Netflix APP I get 5.1 surround, so far, that is the only way I can get full 5.1 surround sound with windows 10. Games, MP4's or anything like that is only doing 2.1 sound.

I have my HDMI cable coming out of my Nvidia card to the input on my receiver. If I used an app like Netflix app it works fine in full surround but anything else from the PC using WMP or VLC is just stereo so this is a Windows 10 problem.

If I google this issue it seems to fill the page with tons of people having the issue but what is the solution?

Thanks.

:)

MikeBelcher, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

5.1 surround sound issue in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

If you’re connecting an optical cable the settings would be changed so try the following steps

Two options:

1. Use the optical S/PDIF output of your motherboard.

2. Use the HDMI output of your GPU. (This is what I'd recommend if you're using a HDMI display).

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel.

• Select sound.

• Click on playback devices.

For option 1- connect the cable and set the 'Realtek digital output' as default device.

• Then right click on it.

• Go to properties.

• At the rightmost tab select DTS or Dolby Digital or 5.1.
    For option 2-connect the HDMI cable through the receiver and set the 'Nvidia HDMI Output' as your default device. Then click 'Configure' and select 5.1 and check if it helps.

If the issue persist then, I suggest you to connect the speakers directly and check in the realtek audio manager if he gets the 5.1 option or not using the SPDIF\output.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Nov 8, 2018
  3. mow1469 Win User
    No bass in surround

Okay I will mark this as solved as I have fixed my issue. Here is what I did:

• After trying all the common suggestions about drivers and such, I had no luck
    • On a whim, I bought a sound card and hooked it up via the optical cable.
    • I also changed the speaker settings on my receiver from Large to Small.
    • I removed all sound drivers other than those for my sound card (Soundblaster ZX)

I now have bass in surorund sound. I also have it set to 5.1 in Windows and have checked all speakers with a surround sound audio file I downloaded.

My guess is that the driver coming off of the Nvidia card is only in 2.1 and it just can't decode/send the right sounds to the receiver over HDMI.

At any rate, hopefully this will help someone else.

mow1469, Nov 8, 2018
  4. r_prieto5 Win User

Windows 10 issue with MP4, games no 5.1 surround via Nvidia HDMI

No surround sound with HDMI>TV>optical out>soundsystem

Hi,

As the title says, I am not getting surround sound except for when Netflix desktop app requests it. Chrome natively does not support surround sound, but video games do and I have never gotten surround out of them.

My setup sends audio out through HDMI to my TV which then forwards it to my sound system via optical out (it's an old audiophile AVR with no HDMI).

A few random things I consider relevant:

1- Disabling exclusive control of audio stopped Netflix from getting surround.

2- When Netflix enters surround mode, everything else becomes instantly silent (I assume this is what exclusive mode does) and needs to be restarted to get the sound back.

3- When Netflix enters surround mode, the sound system's screen recognizes it and changes input displays (this might mean the actual audio signal changes).

4- There is no option to change supported formats in the TV sound panel to anything higher than 2.1 stereo.

Point one makes me think exclusivity has something to do with it but how do I force other apps to take exclusive control or how do I get surround out without exclusivity?

I have a custom build pc with Nvidia GTX 1060, a Pioneer Elite sound system, and Windows 10 64bit.

r_prieto5, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 issue with MP4, games no 5.1 surround via Nvidia HDMI

1. Windows 10 issue with MP4, games no 5.1 surround via Nvidia HDMI - Similar Threads - issue MP4 games

2. Soundbar HDMI Windows / nVidia shambles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Soundbar HDMI Windows / nVidia shambles: Hi guys, Not expecting much feedback on this but worth a try. I was using a bluetooth speaker previously for sound from my PC. Had a few issues & wanted to upgrade but hate all those little wires everywhere. Anyway, the cheapest & most compact upgrade seemed to be a small...
  3. Soundbar HDMI Windows / nVidia shambles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Soundbar HDMI Windows / nVidia shambles: Hi guys, Not expecting much feedback on this but worth a try. I was using a bluetooth speaker previously for sound from my PC. Had a few issues & wanted to upgrade but hate all those little wires everywhere. Anyway, the cheapest & most compact upgrade seemed to be a small...
  4. Soundbar HDMI Windows / nVidia shambles

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. extended screen via HDMI to HDMI cord in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    extended screen via HDMI to HDMI cord in WIN 10: someone at best buy told me that a double ended HTML cord would serve this purpose, but apparently it doesn't. it doesn't make sense to me, as all the other times that I've had this setup, it has only mirrored the screen. and it did it automatically. see images for what I...
  6. Windows 10 ,HDMI issue

Windows 10 ,HDMI issue: #1 I am facing a an issue, I bought a used lcd hp e240 elite display , when I connect my cpu and lcd via HDMI cable, boot screen comes up , after windows loading screen, the monitor doesn't show any display even when I manually select hdmi as input on monitor, no signal,...
  7. Via 1705 Does't Work on Windows 10 5.1 surround

Via 1705 Does't Work on Windows 10 5.1 surround: I have an ECS H61H2-M2 motherboard with VIA 1705 sound card and I can't get it to work. I have already followed some forums, but so far I have not found any solution. If anyone managed to solve this problem, please advise me....
  8. Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI

Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI: I am running an HDMI cable from an HP PC to a 5.1 home theater system. Specifically the HDMI goes from the PC to a TV, then another HDMI goes from the TV into the 5.1 receiver. The non-PC portion of the setup works fine - the TV outputs 5.1 sound just fine when it's getting...
  9. Can't get surround sound via HDMI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't get surround sound via HDMI: hey. My HDMI plug to LG TV LGTV EDID only 2ch. there is any way to passthrough 5.1? even if i'm change in game settings to 5.1 i'm getting only stereo. submitted by /u/Shadowshoot [link] [comments]...
  10. Issues with 5.1 Surround Sound with Windows 10

Issues with 5.1 Surround Sound with Windows 10: I can not get 5.1 Surround Sound to play for my computer with any audio player; i.e. DVD/CD optical drive, Pandora, etc. but when I run an audio test using the device manager it tests perfectly. I have heard that there might be a compatibility issue with 5.1/7.1 Surround...