Windows 10: Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM

Discus and support Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Roy Chan 88, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM

Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM

I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main screen for each.

I also have an external monitor that I share between the two laptops with a KVM switch. So, whichever computer is selected by the KVM has the external monitor as a secondary display.

However, when I switch the external monitor from my personal laptop to the work laptop, everything that was being displayed on the external screen for the personal laptop is transferred to the main screen of the personal laptop. This means that when I switch back to the personal laptop I have to move the programs I want displayed on the external monitor back to the external monitor. Is there some setting that I can change so that when I switch from the personal laptop to the work laptop it doesn't move the programs displayed on the extended monitor back to the main display?

I also noticed when I click the KVM to switch over, the extended monitor disappears from the displays list. The only option for now is to click the button behind the monitor to switch between displays which can be troublesome.

Thanks for any help!

:)

Roy Chan 88, Jun 24, 2020
  2. fultonian Win User

Thanks for your reply.

The issue isn't getting the second monitor to work or continue working.

If the KVM is set to the Windows 10 and I have an application window open on the external monitor and I use the KVM to switch the external monitor to the Windows 7 system, when I switch back to the Windows 10 system, the application window that was displaying
    on the external monitor is now displaying on the Laptop LCD.

fultonian, Jun 24, 2020
  3. fultonian Win User

Thank you for responding!

• Are you facing this issue after updating to November 1511 update?
      • Actually until the day before yesterday, I hadn't been experiencing the issue - when I used the KVM to switch the external monitor to the other computer and then switched back the application windows were still displayed
        on the external monitor. Then day before yesterday when I rebooted, it reverted back to exhibiting the undesired behavior.
      • When I read your reply I investigated the November 1511 update which had NOT run on my computer. I have since manually installed the November 1511 update but it is still exhibiting the issue.
    • What happens when you use Windows + P keys to extend the display?
      • Again, the problem isn't with the display extending - it does that just fine automatically.
      • However, when I have the external display selected in the KVM to the Windows 10 computer and have application windows open on the external display, if I use Windows + P and select PC Screen Only, the open applications
        windows that are open migrate to the laptop LCD and when I select Extend Display, the open application windows do NOT migrate back to the external monitor.
    • Did you try updating the display drivers and check?
      • I am running the most current driver for my display adapter - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Thanks again for your response!

fultonian, Jun 24, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This might occur when some of the settings not configured properly, I would suggest you refer to the below link and try the steps mentioned in help article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM - Similar Threads - issue multiple monitors

2. multiple monitor issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    multiple monitor issues: Hi allI ask the following with my hand on my heart , Please if you have not actually encountered the issue or actively resolved it , please do NOT answer . A pointless link is useless to me . I know its answered with the best of intentions but please rather don't do it . Even...
  3. multiple monitor issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    multiple monitor issues: Hi allI ask the following with my hand on my heart , Please if you have not actually encountered the issue or actively resolved it , please do NOT answer . A pointless link is useless to me . I know its answered with the best of intentions but please rather don't do it . Even...
  4. multiple monitor issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple Monitor Issues

Multiple Monitor Issues: I have a newer Dell laptop w/ 4x USB-C ports on it.I am attempting to use the following 3 monitor setup:Monitor 1: Dell "Teams" Monitor CenterMonitor 2: Dell 27" LeftMonitor 3: Dell 27" RightI am running a dedicated HDMI cable to each monitor using 3 of 4 USB-C ports on my...
  6. Multiple monitor issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitor issue: I recently had to replace my hard drive. I have been using multiple screens 2 and my desktop showed 3 monitors in 'display' I only had 2 & my office told me to delete one. did that, now nothing is coming up when I plug in my 2nd monitor. Can't get settings to stay up to...
  7. Multiple Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multiple Monitor Issue: I have 4 identical monitors connected (Dell E1913). 3 of the 4 have settings: Desktop Resolution = 1440 x 900 Active signal resolution = 1440 x 900 Refresh rate (Hz) = 60 Hz Bit depth = 8-bit Color format = RBS Color space = Standard dynamic range (SDR) and yet...the 4th...
  8. Multiple Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Monitor Issue: I have 4 identical monitors connected (Dell E1913). 3 of the 4 have settings: Desktop Resolution = 1440 x 900 Active signal resolution = 1440 x 900 Refresh rate (Hz) = 60 Hz Bit depth = 8-bit Color format = RBS Color space = Standard dynamic range (SDR) and yet...the 4th...
  9. Multiple Monitor Issues

Multiple Monitor Issues: I have a Dell laptop with 2 extra monitors. Everything has worked fine for a couple years and noticed about a month ago, I will be working along and everything looks up for about a second and my extra 2 displays go dark and anything on them has moved over to my laptop...
  10. Multiple Monitor issue with KVM

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multiple Monitor issue with KVM: My config: I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main screen for each. I also have an external monitor that I share between the two laptops with a KVM switch. So, whichever computer is selected by the KVM has...