Windows 10: Windows 10 issues when adding to Domain

Discus and support Windows 10 issues when adding to Domain in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi we are looking to roll out Windows 10 but as soon as we add machines to the domain we loose the start menu and access to the search bar, any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NigelP2705, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Windows 10 issues when adding to Domain

Hi we are looking to roll out Windows 10 but as soon as we add machines to the domain we loose the start menu and access to the search bar, any suggestions gratefully received

:)

NigelP2705, Nov 18, 2019
  2. changari Win User

Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Nov 18, 2019
  3. sammy Win User
    Question:- How to add client to domain from domain controller side?

Hi Guys,

-I have domain called lab.com created on virtual machine Windows Server 2008
    -I have added a client machine Linux machine rhel6 to domain lab.com in /etc/host file
    -I am able to ping DC from linux machine by IP and hostname .
    But from DC I can only ping Linux machine by IP address and not by its hostname "rhel61.lab.com"

I don't want to add linux machine entry to DC's hosts file as it is DC so it should resolve it

But I wish to know what step or doings I am missing from DC side that I am not able to ping linux machine by its hostname.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

sammy, Nov 18, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 issues when adding to Domain

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 issues when adding to Domain

1. Windows 10 issues when adding to Domain - Similar Threads - issues adding Domain

2. Server not operational when adding User to a trusting domain in Windows Server

in Windows 10 News
    Server not operational when adding User to a trusting domain in Windows Server: [ATTACH]If the Server is not operational message keeps troubling you when adding a trusted domain user to a trusted domain in Windows Server, then this post may help you resolve the issue. When you click Advanced in the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog box in Active...
  3. Password complexity setting for AD domain with Windows 10 workstations

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password complexity setting for AD domain with Windows 10 workstations: I am trying to setup the Windows 10 password policy for our office workstation. Seems like there is a 'Password must meet complexity requirements' option in the policy setting, which require any 3 combination out of 5 criteria. But I cannot set custom combination e.g. upper...
  4. Domain Join Issue Windows 10 1709.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Domain Join Issue Windows 10 1709.: Hi After completion of 1709 wipe & Load Task sequnece, its found that machine is not joining to domain , But it continues till end When checked SMQ following message has been seen. The issue happens only in particular location and same TS works fine in other sites...
  5. Windows 10 domain user issues

Windows 10 domain user issues: Hey, I have had nothing but issues getting a Windows 10 Pro machine to work within a 2011 SBS environment. I have had issues with the firewall, which is now totally shutdown; it was preventing network applications from installing. It was just the domain element of the...
  6. How to Skip Account Creation Windows 10 Pro when will be added user to domain

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Skip Account Creation Windows 10 Pro when will be added user to domain: If installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro, it has an annoying wizard to add a local user, password and security questions. I do not want to add a "user" since it will be added to the domain and instead simply want to assign a local Administrator password like before. If...
  7. Issue with adding an user computer to domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with adding an user computer to domain: I have an issue with one computer in my domain and i removed that computer from domain. But, i wanted that computer to add back into domain. Now the issue is i am getting an error message saying DC can't be contacted. The error message is as follows. " Note: This...
  8. BitLocker automatically enabled when computer gets added to the domain?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker automatically enabled when computer gets added to the domain?: I talked to my boss about this issue, and he claims there is no domain group policy in place to automatically enable BitLocker when computers get added to the domain. Is there any way this could just be a security feature in Windows 10 that any computer added to any domain...
  9. Adding multiple users on a windows 10 pro via a domain

Adding multiple users on a windows 10 pro via a domain: Hi, We are looking to have various windows 10 pro machines shared by various users via a domain. What we want to do is have multiple users accounts on one machine via a domain. So for instance, when you add another local user to the machine via settings>accounts>other...
  10. Adding Email to add on domain?

in Browsers and Email
    Adding Email to add on domain?: is it possible to make an email, via cpanel, to an add on domain. I have had a look but cannot see anything obvious. 105077