Windows 10: Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error

Discus and support Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 KB4524147, which is the latest cumulative update shipped on October 3 with security fixes, appears to break the Start menu yet again for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 4, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error

Windows 10 KB4524147, which is the latest cumulative update shipped on October 3 with security fixes, appears to break the Start menu yet again for several users.

Earlier this week, Microsoft acknowledged a bug that disables print spooler service on Windows 10 version 1903 and breaks printing functionality. Users have been reporting issues when completing a print job for almost a week, but this bug is apparently fixed in Windows 10 KB4524147.

Microsoft says it has resolved the printing issue in this release but it appears that the fix for Windows 10 has inadvertently broken the Start Menu for the second time. Users are reporting that the update has introduced a bug that causes the Start menu to fail with a confusing ‘Critical error’.

This is based on some user posts on Reddit, Microsoft’s answer forum, Feedback Hub, and as well as other forums.

Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error Start-menu.jpg

Those affected say that Start menu fails to launch with a Critical Error which states that ‘Your Start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in’.

“KB4524147 causes the critical warning pop-up when start button is pressed. Then, I uninstalled the KB. After reboot, normal status returns without problems,” a user said on Feedback Hub.

“Exact same for me. On my work machine, 18362.295 is the last build that had working search and working start menu. 300+ all has broken search and 388 has broken start menu too. On my home machine, I haven’t had any problems with search or start menu,” a user said on Reddit.

Users have said that the cumulative update needs to be removed to resolve Start menu issues. To uninstall Windows 10 update, here’s what you need to do:

• Open Settings > Windows Update > Update History.
    • Click on Uninstall update link.
    • Select and uninstall the aforementioned update.
    • Reboot your PC.

Microsoft is yet to acknowledge the Start menu issue hitting this update of Windows 10.

The growing list of issues in May 2019 Update

The May update offers a variety of new features and improvements aimed at both consumers and enterprises, but a series of problems have emerged in PCs that installed monthly updates for Windows 10 version 1903.

For example, high CPU usage and Windows Search problems were reported after users applied monthly patches for Windows 10 version 1903. Similarly, September updates have had their own list of issues, including a bug that affected audio quality in games.

The post Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 4, 2019

2. Start Menu breaks - Results in Critical Error

I've been running Windows 10 for over a month. On two previous occasions the Start menu and search did not open. One time I restored to a previous system break point.

The other time, it did repair itself when I rebooted. Now the problem persists making the machine unusable. When I click on the start menu icon I get Critical Error: Your start menu isn't working. We will try to fix it the next time you logon".

I don't understand the system working fine then breaking for no apparent reason unless an update was installed.

HerefordBob, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Windows 10 start menu critical error

Hi Darcey,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

• Which are the four steps that you have tried?

As the issue still persist, I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue still persists.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Also refer this link:

Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error

Karthicka_R, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error

1. Windows 10 KB4524147 breaks Start menu with critical error - Similar Threads - KB4524147 breaks Start

2. Critical Error - Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Start Menu: Hi, I've encountered a critical error "Your Start menu isn't working..." How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu/96f57669-ca31-4b24-bb04-23afa30c285c
  3. windows 10 start menu critical error

in Cortana
    windows 10 start menu critical error: windows 10 start menu critical error ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-critical-error/413a55db-027c-42ee-91ef-81bef5331670"
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu CRITICAL ERROR

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start Menu CRITICAL ERROR: Computer works with following exception. Click of Start Menu icon I get CRITICAL ERROR windows will try to fix on restart. I must log out and shut down computer from log in screen....
  5. KB4517389 causes Critical Error when using Start Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KB4517389 causes Critical Error when using Start Menu: KB4524147 originally caused a critical error when using Start Menu AND it prevented my printer from printing. The latter was because of some mess up with the print spooler. I uninstalled KB4524147 and BOTH problems disappeared. This morning, I updated with KB4517389. The...
  6. KB4524147 Update Breaks Windows Search

in Cortana
    KB4524147 Update Breaks Windows Search: After installing this update Windows search is not working - can't even type anything into the search box. After uninstalling the update Search returns to normal operation. I did not experience any Start menu problems, just with Windows search. So apparently we still have...
  7. Start menu broken after KB4524147

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu broken after KB4524147: I'm running windows 10 home 1903.The latest cumulative update kills the start menu for me. Clicking the start button opens up a window saying " Critical error start menu not working,sign out ..." somthing like that . I tried reinstalling all windows store apps via...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Critical Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Start Menu Critical Error: Ok new to the boards and in no means an IT guru. I have upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a few months back and have started t get the following Critical Error when ever I hit the Start Menu Button. [img] I have tried to do several things I have read in threads such as running the...
  9. start menu - critical error

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu - critical error: When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now: CRITICAL ERROR Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it for you the next time you log on. The only option is a button that says sign out now. I hit it...
  10. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    critical error start menu: Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June 2016. Lately I keep getting a critical error when I try to access start menu. I have followed Brinks tutorial on subject, but...
Tags: