Windows 10: Windows 10 KB4532693 could delete and hide your data

Discus and support Windows 10 KB4532693 could delete and hide your data in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It appears that there could another issue with Windows 10 – and it’s a nasty one, potentially involving the loss of some user data such as the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 14, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 KB4532693 could delete and hide your data

It appears that there could another issue with Windows 10 – and it’s a nasty one, potentially involving the loss of some user data such as the desktop files. First off, it’s important to understand that this is simply based on a small but a growing number of user reports.

As we reported yesterday, Windows 10 KB4532693 security update reverts certain system settings to their defaults and also removes files from the desktop. For many users, Windows 10 has renamed main user profile folder and files can be restored from C:\Users profile folder ending in .000 or .bak name.

While many users are able to restore their files from the temporary folder, some users who have lost all desktop files are unable to get around the temporary profile folder.

In some cases, users have completely failed to find any sign of the vanished personal data after installing Windows 10 KB4532693.

In our comment section, two users confirmed that the update has deleted their personal files:

“My desktop is black, icons are gone, Taskbar and Start menu are also empty. Uninstalled the update and my data is still missing, I cannot find it anywhere,” one user wrote. “I call BS, some users of Surface have no temporary accounts, their data is gone,” another user confirmed the reports.

In a thread on Microsoft’s answer forum, users claim they lost all files from the desktop:

“I was on the phone with Microsoft for 4 hours. Surface Pro 7 about 2 months old. There’s no user data, no temporary account, no restore points. Uninstalling the update didn’t work because my user data is gone. Microsoft is calling in the morning because they think my personal services are free. I know the only option is to flatten the Surface and start over, like Groundhog Day the movie. I have two desktops upgraded from Windows 7 that survived, if that helps.”

“Thank you, Microsoft for the latest updates which totally wiped all settings from my system on each startup. Everything reverted to basic settings [and] all my programme information and settings were also deleted from every programme on my system. Several apps were deleted completely, keyboard settings, language screen res everything gone. Updates now turned off, an angry user said.

Microsoft has yet to acknowledge Windows 10’s new bug and we don’t know if it’s possible to restore the data deleted/hidden by the patch.

Disclaimer: The article is completely based on user reports. Windows Latest makes no claims, guarantees about the accuracy or completeness in this article or linked pages, and shall not be held responsible for anything we say in this article.

The post Windows 10 KB4532693 could delete and hide your data appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 14, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Windows 10 KB4532693 could delete and hide your data

Windows 10: Delete synced and favorites data

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

We understand that you want to delete irrelevant data stored in the Computer.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Disk Cleanup.

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
    • If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.
    • In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.
    • If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.
    • Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.
    Method 2: Clear Favorites data.

• Click Start
    • Click Computer
    • In the address bar, paste this location: %userprofile%
    • Press Enter on your keyboard
    • Make sure you have a Favorites folder listed in the
      %userprofile%
      folder
    • Right click on the folder, select open and you can delete the data listed under the folder.
    Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 KB4532693 could delete and hide your data

1. Windows 10 KB4532693 could delete and hide your data - Similar Threads - KB4532693 delete hide

2. windows 10 update problem KB4532693

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update problem KB4532693: Unable to install the above update which I have read is an issue and it is blocking other updates and keeps coming up with unable to complete updates, undoing changes, don't turn off your computer. Endeavored to uninstall via control panel but it comes up with an error has...
  3. Update deleting/hiding data/files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Update deleting/hiding data/files.: My PC has just completed a fairly lengthy update operation and now I have no settings or files. Initially I was informed that I'd been signed into a temporary profile, but then I looked and was on correct profile but needed to authenticate. I then re-booted. OneDrive is now...
  4. windows 10 KB4532693 update

windows 10 KB4532693 update: why do I get update kb4532693 downloaded every day even though it shows properly installed. It has downloaded and been installed about 20 times so far https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-kb4532693-update/80069834-9ded-408c-9f15-a48dbbb0bb53
  5. KB4532693 and data loss - fixed or pulled from Windows Update yet?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KB4532693 and data loss - fixed or pulled from Windows Update yet?: Hi! Earlyish last month I saw a thread about KB4532693 causing data loss and profile corruption, with several sufferers in the comments. I immediately paused Updates for safety; I can accept some little issues, but data loss is my number one fear. I haven't seen any news...
  6. windows 10 update KB4532693

windows 10 update KB4532693: How can I recuperate My Documents after windows 10 update KB4532693 ? I have tried everything that is on the blogs and I still cannot find My Documents anywhere on my C drive, they are gone....
  7. KB4532693

KB4532693: Hello everybody. For about 2 weeks Win Update try and failed to install KB4532693. I understand that is a well known problem with this update. How can I block this update to nstall. Soruy for my bad English....
  8. KB4532693

KB4532693: Update failed to install on 24 tries. My latest error message is : "Last failed install attempt on ‎2/‎26/‎2020 - 0xc1900401". Big Deal? Yes! What do I need to do to install this update? Any assistance is welcomed. Thank you for your help....
  9. kb4532693 update has a bug that can delete your data.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    kb4532693 update has a bug that can delete your data.: win 10 1903 or 1909 As the title say, kb4532693 update has a bug that can delete your data. kb4532693 - Google Search 150948
  10. Windows 10 KB4532693

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 KB4532693: Windows 10 KB4532693.. Update.. Is it true this update is causing problems deleting and hiding users files.. Just happened to me.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-kb4532693/fb3e048d-cf3b-4db3-a176-c32844eee43e"
Tags: