Windows 10: Windows 10 KB4598291 fixes another bug, but it’s also causing other issues

Discus and support Windows 10 KB4598291 fixes another bug, but it’s also causing other issues in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Earlier this month, Windows 10 received a KB4598291 cumulative update which fixes a host of bugs, including some of the features broken by the October... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 7, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 KB4598291 fixes another bug, but it’s also causing other issues

Earlier this month, Windows 10 received a KB4598291 cumulative update which fixes a host of bugs, including some of the features broken by the October 2020 Update, such as the Alt-Tab apps switcher and Windows Credentials manager.

These bugs have been affecting October 2020 Update users for some time and most of the issues were finally resolved. Note that Windows 10 KB4598291 is actually a preview update for the upcoming Patch Tuesday update and it’s optional.

In other words, you’ll need to click on ‘View optional updates’ option in the Windows Update panel to download and install the update. If you skip the patch, you’ll receive fixes in the next Patch Tuesday rollout.

In addition to aforementioned bug fixes, this optional cumulative update also includes a fix for an issue which causes ESENT 642 errors. For those uninitiated, ESENT is a DLL in Windows and it is a data storage tech that powers different parts of the operating system.

User reports had suggested that mysterious error was causing performance and crashes for some installations of Windows 10. The problem was first reported when the May 2020 Update was launched, and Insiders had flagged it almost a year ago.

Based on our testing, the problem with the ‘ESENT 642’ warnings has finally been fixed in this optional update.

Windows 10 KB4598291 issues

Unfortunately, Windows 10 KB4598291 has its own share of issues. According to multiple posts on the Feedback Hub, the optional update is failing to install for some people with a mysterious error message.

“Failure occurs as update get’s to near 100% finished then responds with a message that it can’t install the update and begins removing the files and restoring to the current install. I paused the updates briefly but activated updates yesterday. Total attempts by the install is around 5 or more over the past week or so,” one user noted in the Feedback Hub post.

Similarly, some users have reported that KB4598291 is breaking down DirectPlay-based games.

“I had several 3D games crash upon launching, including World of Warcraft. Upon removing the update, the games and applications are back in working order.

Others have also reported issues with World of Warcraft and other games.

Remember that these fixes will be rolled out to everyone with February Patch Tuesday update and you can skip the optional patch.

The post Windows 10 KB4598291 fixes another bug, but it’s also causing other issues appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 7, 2021

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Feb 7, 2021
  4. csatennis Win User

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 KB4598291 fixes another bug, but it’s also causing other issues - Similar Threads - KB4598291 fixes another

2. Windows 10 March 2023 Update is also causing issues (unsurprisingly)

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 March 2023 Update is also causing issues (unsurprisingly): Some Windows 10 users have encountered major issues after installing the March 2023 Patch Tuesday updates released last week. The issues do not appear widespread, but we have received a handful of reports claiming the update can’t be installed on some machines. Microsoft...
  3. With KB4598291 causing issues on some Windows 10 devices, you better be careful with...

in Windows 10 News
    With KB4598291 causing issues on some Windows 10 devices, you better be careful with...: Microsoft released the preview update KB4598291 on February 2, 2021 for Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2. The preview update fixes a huge number of issues according to the official release notes, including issues that could make the system stop responding, display a black...
  4. Update KB4598291 will not install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update KB4598291 will not install.: The recent February KB4598291 update won't install.In fact all cumulative updates from November/20 on have not installed.Everything else WILL install but this. I looked at all the updates within the update itself for February and saw nothing that my system would want...
  5. Windows Update KB4598291 error 0x80073701

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update KB4598291 error 0x80073701: I am running windows 10 Home and I am also a Windows Insider. Late last year some updates came out and have caused me some issues. Currently my issue won't let me upgrade to windows 10 Pro. The update in question is KB4598291 and it always gives me error 0x80073701. I have...
  6. Windows 10 KB4598291 (20H2) is now rolling out with important fixes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB4598291 (20H2) is now rolling out with important fixes: Windows 10 KB4598291 optional update is now rolling out to devices running version 20H2 and version 2004 with several bug fixes. Microsoft has also published the direct download links for Windows 10 KB4598291 offline installers so that you can apply the patch offline....
  7. Microsoft is fixing a Windows 10 bug that causes forced reboots

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is fixing a Windows 10 bug that causes forced reboots: Microsoft is finally fixing an annoying Windows 10 bug that causes a random reboot on some devices running the October 2020 Update. The tech giant has also removed the ‘compatibility hold’, which should allow more users to install the upcoming feature updates. In November...
  8. Windows 10 KB4586781 fails to install and causes other bugs

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB4586781 fails to install and causes other bugs: Windows 10 KB4586781, which was released in the second week of November, appears to be a fairly stable release when compared to older updates but it’s also plagued with installation issues. Microsoft’s latest cumulative update doesn’t just fail to address a bug that performs...
  9. Microsoft has to fix another bug folks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft has to fix another bug folks: Looks like yet another out-of-band patch coming our way to fix this bug. Most likely will be rushed out the door and cause more breakage across the user' sphere. Microsoft says hackers are attacking Windows users with a new unpatched bug...
  10. Another Windows 10 bug causes high CPU usage and breaks IME

in Windows 10 News
    Another Windows 10 bug causes high CPU usage and breaks IME: Windows 10 KB4515384, which was released to everyone on September 10 with security fixes and quality improvements, has been plagued by yet another bug. KB4515384 comprises of security fixes and a fix for a Cortana bug causing high CPU usage on some systems, but users have...
Tags: