Windows 10: Windows 10 KB5006738 (21H1) fixes memory leak, other critical bugs

Discus and support Windows 10 KB5006738 (21H1) fixes memory leak, other critical bugs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; KB5006738 is now available for Windows 10 21H2, 20H2 and version 2004 via Windows Update and WSUS. If you would like to perform the update on multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 27, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 KB5006738 (21H1) fixes memory leak, other critical bugs

KB5006738 is now available for Windows 10 21H2, 20H2 and version 2004 via Windows Update and WSUS. If you would like to perform the update on multiple devices or you don’t have an active internet connection, Microsoft has also published direct download links for Windows 10 KB5006738 offline installers.

Windows 10 KB5006738 is part of October 2021 cumulative updates and users can install it via Windows Update. It is worth noting that this patch is entirely optional and it does not include security fixes which means Microsoft won’t install it automatically (without your permission).

KB5006738 optional update will advance devices to Windows 10 Build 19043.1320. If you’re on version 20H2, Microsoft says you’ll get Windows 10 Build 19042.1320, while version 2004 will get Build 19041.1320 instead. The update includes the same set of bug fixes for all Windows 10 versions.

According to official release notes, Microsoft has fixed three critical bugs. A bug that prevents subtitles on videos has been fixed with today’s update. Another bug has been fixed where Kana input mode does not work when inserting a question mark with the Shift-0 keyboard shortcut.

Likewise, Microsoft says it has fixed a bug that could result in a black lock screen when you have set up a slideshow of pictures as your lock screen. In addition to these important bug fixes, there are several other improvements in today’s optional update.

On your devices, when you check for updates today, the following patch will appear on your screen:

2021-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5006738)

Or

2021-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5006738)

To download and install Windows 10 Build 19043.1320, use these steps:

• Open Windows Settings.
    • Visit the Updates & Security section of the app.
    • Tap on the “Windows Update” button.
    • Select Check for updates to see if new updates are available.
    • Click on the “Download and install” option if available.
    • Select “restart now” to finish installing the update.
    Download Links for Windows 10 KB5006738

Windows 10 KB5006738 Direct Download Links: 64-bit and 32-bit (x86).

You’ll find the offline installers on Microsoft’s Update Catalog. Note that the update will be offered in (.msu) format and it can be installed with one tap, but make sure that you install the correct version of the cumulative update. On Microsoft Update Catalog, you’ll need to identify the correct edition before downloading the patch.

If you’re unsure about the computer configuration, visit Settings > System > About.

Once you’ve identified the update, click on the Download button. This will open a new update window with a link to the .msu file which you need to copy and paste in another tab to begin the download.

Windows 10 KB5006738 (Build 19043.1320) Full Changelog

1. Fixes a weird bug that prevents video subtitles.
    2. Fixes an issue that causes a black screen on the lock screen.
    3. Fixes an issue that broke Windows 10 virtual private network.
    4. Fixes an issue that causes issues with BitLocker recovery.
    5. Fixes issues with Microsoft Edge and Kiosk.

Microsoft has resolved an issue that could prevent some users from viewing the pre-provisioning during the first setup screen of the device (OOBE). The problem is experienced on devices that have a credentials page for browsing Microsoft’s Azure Active Directory.

Build 19043.1320 also fixes issues with VPN networks when using Windows Server 2019 servers. Another bug has been where virtual machines using Software-Defined Networking (SDN) does not work. Microsoft has patched issues when using Windows Hello for Business when the VPN connection is offline.

The optional update also addresses a memory leak bug that could result in high memory usage. Another reliability issue with LogonUI.exe has been fixed. This bug affected network status on the credentials screen.

Known issues in the latest optional update

Microsoft is aware of at least two annoying bugs in the update. As per the changelog, some users might see the error “PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING” when attempting to install the update.

Another bug could break Windows Remote Desktop. In this case, connections might fail to authenticate if you’ve smart card authentication enabled. You might receive the prompt, “Your credentials did not work” or “the login attempt failed”.

Windows 11 could block the update

If you see the “Upgrade to Windows 11 is ready” message on the Windows Update page, you won’t be able to download the patch via Windows Update. That’s because Windows 10’s optional page allows users to manage one Windows update only, so you cannot choose between Windows 11 and Windows 10 optional updates.

The post Windows 10 KB5006738 (21H1) fixes memory leak, other critical bugs appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 27, 2021
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Possible Memory Leaks in Windows 10

A memory leak occurs when an application closes and fails to release all its RAM back to the operating system.

The first step in dealing with a memory leak is to determine which application is leaking memory.

The next step is to contact that application's technical support with complete details of the memory leak, since the developers will want to fix the problem ASAP.

BulldogXX, Oct 27, 2021
  3. MacDonals Win User
    netsvcs memory leak, need assistance identifying and fixing

My Windows 10 Pro laptop has a serious memory leak going on. If I leave it on overnight, I will often come back in the morning and memory usage will top 90%.When I check my processes, I see Service Host: Local System is where this is happening. When I drill into the services, I see that netsvcs services are causing it. The services running are:
    • AppInfo
    • BDESVC
    • BITS
    • Browser
    • CertPropSvc
    • DoSvc
    • gpsvc
    • IKEEXT
    • iphlpsvc
    • LanmanServer
    • lfsvc
    • ProfSvc
    • Schedule
    • SENS
    • SessionEnv
    • ShellHWDetection
    • Themes
    • UserManager
    • Winmgmt

Things I Have Tried
    • Stopping some of these indivually with mixed (temporary) results. One time stopping lfsvc (geolaction service) and iphlpsvc (ip helper) dropped the memory usage a bit but it eventually climbed back up. People suggest stopping BITS, but this didn't help either.
    • I have tried running the Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter. It claims to have found and fixed issues every single time I run it, but in the long run, it's no help.
    • sfc /scannow and DISM. I ran these and they found some issues, which I fixed with a Windows 10 Pro ISO to repair. Still I have a memory leak.
    • Registry Updates. Updated TimeBroker and Superfetch per this article
    • Full Anti-Malware Scans. No issues found with Norton Security Suite or Spybot
    • Updated Killer Networking Drivers. No luck

Any assistance on running this down is much appreciated.

MacDonals, Oct 27, 2021
  4. Windows 10 KB5006738 (21H1) fixes memory leak, other critical bugs

Memory Leak.

Windows 10 is up to date.
    All drivers are updated.

The app currently using the most memory is Firefox (but as I said above, it was Antimaleware service executable before)

I'm not sure of recent changes.

I honestly think its a bug that was accidentally put out, as a lot of people having memory leaks seem to be having different programs causing their own memory leak.

Aaron-Roberts, Oct 27, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 KB5006738 (21H1) fixes memory leak, other critical bugs

1. Windows 10 KB5006738 (21H1) fixes memory leak, other critical bugs - Similar Threads - KB5006738 21H1 fixes

2. Windows 10 KB5011831 fixes black screen and other critical bugs

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5011831 fixes black screen and other critical bugs: Windows 10 KB5011831 is now available with a fix for an issue where the operating system could crash with a black screen. The patch is offered via Windows Update (WU) and users can download the offline installer of Windows 10 KB5011831 to update multiple PCs without...
  3. Memory leak fix?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Memory leak fix?: Hey everyone!I seem to have a sudden super high spike in RAM usage even though no apps are open. I can't seem to figure out this memory leak. Any ideas? Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-leak-fix/2dd3a350-1faf-4b0a-9ee2-796497b29560
  4. Windows 10 - Memory Leaks

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Memory Leaks: I'm trying to determine what is causing a memory leak on my Work PC - its an old machine running Win 10 Pro - i7-5930, 64GB ram, Gigabyte X99 motherboard. The issue has only started a few months ago, but can't for the life of me work out what the issue is. I thought it could...
  5. Microsoft has fixed the critical bugs in Windows 10 version 21H1

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft has fixed the critical bugs in Windows 10 version 21H1: Windows 10 has received a fix for a nasty bug that crashes some PCs running May 2021 Update, specifically those systems using Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology drivers. The bug was reported after users installed KB5001391 for Windows 10 version 21H1 and it seems to have been...
  6. Bug report - Windows 10 "Photos" app memory leak

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bug report - Windows 10 "Photos" app memory leak: Double-click on a file in a directory with lots of images Wait for Photos to open the image Click the Crop tool Crop the image Click "Save" not Save a copy Click the right-arrow to go to the next image Repeat step 3 The app gets slower over time, and memory consumption...
  7. How I fixed memory leaks

in Windows 10 Support
    How I fixed memory leaks: I'm not even sure if this is best place to post. Online solutions I found did not solved my memory leaks problem so I decided to share what I have discovered and how I fixed it myself. My PC have 16 GB RAM. I have a NAS and I needed a software to auto backup/sync my files. A...
  8. Windows 10 memory leak

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 memory leak: I recently purchased a new laptop and when transferring my old files from my previous one I used a new backup program and accidentally cloned my old laptop onto the new one. This gave me a whole bunch of errors and my new key was lost so I torrented a copy of windows and did...
  9. Windows 10 - memory leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 - memory leak: I just recently started to notice that my ram usage went up without any apparent reason and my PC started to lag and even to freeze, something that didn't happened before. So i did some digging and found out this strange behavior using RAMMap something i couldn't see with a...
  10. WIndows 10 Memory leak

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WIndows 10 Memory leak: Good day , In the last week, my pc start presenting memory issues and i have been investigating and trying to solve them. the first one appeared was High use of memory like 98% when having nothing running, just pc in stand by. the problem of that was NonPaged Memory was...