Windows 10: Windows 10 KB5017308 update is causing new issues

Discus and support Windows 10 KB5017308 update is causing new issues in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 KB5017308 update is apparently causing issues for some users, according to reports. This patch is currently rolling out to everyone via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 16, 2022.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 KB5017308 update is causing new issues

Windows 10 KB5017308 update is apparently causing issues for some users, according to reports. This patch is currently rolling out to everyone via Windows Update, but you can also download the offline installers of Windows 10 KB5017308 and manually install it.

According to the official release notes, KB5017308 contains “miscellaneous security improvements”. However, it also includes fixes from the previous optional cumulative update, which was released in August. As per the release notes of the last patch, Windows 10’s September 2022 Patch fixes many issues.

For example, Microsoft has fixed an issue where installations of certain games might fail abruptly. The company patched another bug where the list icons in the search app might render incorrectly. Another bug that causes error 0x1E when you shut down or restart a device has been fixed.

Windows 10 KB5017308 update is causing new issues KB5017328-Windows-update-issues.jpg

There are several other bug fixes, including a fix for an issue where Microsoft Edge could stop responding when you use IE mode.

Windows 10 KB5017308 issues

Unfortunately, KB5017308 won’t install for many users. Like the previous updates, this patch also fails to install after the download is finished, with one of the users stating2022-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5017308) is not installing and gives an error (0x800f081f)”.

For other users, the update is refusing to install with error messages (0x8000ffff, 0x8007007e, and 0x80073701). In worse cases, it is forcing systems into a reboot loop where the patch is automatically reverted, but we’re unsure of how widespread this issue is.

Microsoft has never really acknowledged the reports of failed Windows Update installations and it doesn’t have an official fix. However, installing the update from Microsoft Update Catalog does solve the issues for those impacted.

The update also broke GPO’s “Files” policy. As per reports on Reddit, when users copy a batch file into public\documents and create a copy or a shortcut to the desktop, icons are not getting migrated and the shortcut uses a blank default icon. In some cases, the batch file is actually empty when copied over.

“Several of my customers reported that KB5017308 disrupts Active Directory Group Policy “Replace” option, specifically in a User Policy (does not happen for Computer Policy) *and* when the checkbox “Run in logged-on user’s security context” is selected. They opened up a case with MSFT Premier support,” one of the affected users told us.

In case you’ve installed the update and GPU has stopped working, you can always uninstall Windows 10 update from the Settings or Command Prompt.

Remember that the patch contains some important security fixes to help keep your system protected, so if you do not have any issues after installing it, you should not uninstall it from your system.

Microsoft has also released KB5017328 for Windows 11, but that update appears to be mostly stable so far.

The post Windows 10 KB5017308 update is causing new issues appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 16, 2022

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Sep 16, 2022
  3. Desboro Win User
    Windows 10 update: start up and sleep issues caused

Dear Vijay,

Thank you for your response: apologies for slow feedback.

Regarding step 1 - doing a restore point : I tried this twice and twice it failed. Now, the date of the update that caused the issue (13/14 September 2019) has disappeared from the history list. Is there a way of finding it, still?

Regarding Step 2- the list of updates installed: the two suggestions above do not seem to appear in the list in the window "Installed Updates".

There are two updates listed for 13 September - Security Update for Adobe Flash Player and Security Update for Microsoft Windows.

Could you advise what I might try next?

Thank you so much.

Desboro, Sep 16, 2022
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 16, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 10 KB5017308 update is causing new issues - Similar Threads - KB5017308 update causing

2. Is the new Windows 10 update causing issues or is it something else?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the new Windows 10 update causing issues or is it something else?: My PC has essentially been a brick since downloading the new update for Windows 10. I can only have one tab open at the most and I cannot open steam or discord at all. Whenever I use chrome and click on a link it takes forever to open. I tried opening iCue for my keyboard and...
  3. Is the new Windows 10 update causing issues or is it something else?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the new Windows 10 update causing issues or is it something else?: My PC has essentially been a brick since downloading the new update for Windows 10. I can only have one tab open at the most and I cannot open steam or discord at all. Whenever I use chrome and click on a link it takes forever to open. I tried opening iCue for my keyboard and...
  4. Is the new Windows 10 update causing issues or is it something else?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5017308

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5017308: Hi,KB5017308 creating problems, after update all my office systems goes stuck and taking too much time to load or open softwares/browsers. Whereas, after uninstall all systems works well.Expecting best remedy....
  6. Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5017308

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5017308: Hi,KB5017308 creating problems, after update all my office systems goes stuck and taking too much time to load or open softwares/browsers. Whereas, after uninstall all systems works well.Expecting best remedy....
  7. Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5017308

8. Windows 10 Update Causing Issues

Windows 10 Update Causing Issues: Hi all, I received and installed 3 updates last night: KB4570723 KB4497165 KB4023057 Today I have encountered a whole host of problems: Computer won't restart and it gets stuck in restart; Computer won't shut down. The screen powers off but the computer keeps...
  9. new windows update causing usb camera issues

new windows update causing usb camera issues: hey all any help would be greatly appreciated. I updated with the new windows update 1909 for x64 based and now the comp will not recognize my camera. GENESYS LOGIC USB 2.0 UVC PA CAMERA. I tried everything from updating drivers, uninstalling, searching for new software,...
  10. New update causes issues with sound

New update causes issues with sound: I recently got a small update to windows on my computer. Once the update was finished I jumped on and the sound was not working. It has done this before so I didn't think much of it and did my usual reinstall of the drivers. Unfortunately that did not help. I have tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb5017308 bsod windows 10