Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down. I think it has to do with Fastboot. Is this ok or should I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by airtas, Sep 13, 2018.

1. airtas Win User

Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down.
    I think it has to do with Fastboot.

Is this ok or should I always eject before shutdown?

:)

airtas, Sep 13, 2018
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 13, 2018
  3. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down - Similar Threads - keeps External Hard

2. NAS shut down, causing problems with connected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS shut down, causing problems with connected external hard drive: Windows 10 Home 21H1 Should this happen or is this a glitch in Windows 10? I have Windows 10 set up to Store files to a Synology NAS from a Windows PC within the local network, using Map Network Drive. I turned the NAS off (due to having some electrical work done) and forgot...
  3. Running windows from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running windows from external hard drive: Hi My laptop's motherboard has broken or failed. Now I want to take my data and export setting of some programslike android studio from hard drive. Is it possible to boot my new laptop in boot menu from my dead laptop's hard drive as external hard drive?...
  4. Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep: My laptop keeps shutting down randomly during sleep. When it turns back on I get this message: "The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata." I looked in the event viewer to the entry before the last shutdown and it says: "Connectivity...
  5. How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive?: How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-run-windows-10-from-external-hard-drive/bce57bfe-33ec-4dd1-9e27-2101a005c2b4
  6. Hard shut down during boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard shut down during boot: I booted my computer, and it just stucks at one of a directory. So I did a hard shut down and when I start my computer again. It leads me to automatic repair, it says my computer didn't start correctly and I try resolving it. Until now, I still can't find a way to fix my...
  7. BSOD At Shut Down Only If I Power Off External Drive During Process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD At Shut Down Only If I Power Off External Drive During Process: As described above I find this very odd as it never used to happen in Win 7. (I upgrade to W10 Pro x64 from W7 SP1 x64). Only if I power the external eSATA drive off during PC shut down (Total not standby or hibernate). I get around it by simply waiting before I power off...
  8. Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update

Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update: I have just recently had to get a new laptop because the motherboard in my previous laptop died unexpectedly. I was able to connect to my old hard drive until there was an issue with my Windows 10. I had a Microsoft agent check my system and he determined that i need to to...
  9. Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down: I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down. I think it has to do with Fastboot. Is this ok or should I always eject before shutdown? 117779
  10. External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10

External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10: Hi Ever since the anniversary update, for some reason, when I unplug my external hard drive Windows 10 decides to close down, not crash, as it politely tells me it is shutting down. I use the 'eject external usb/hard drive etc' button and wait for the safely eject comment....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. close down seagate external HDD

2. external hard drive keeps running

3. managing external hard drive shut down in windows 10

4. how to shut down a flash drive that keeps running,
  5. hard drive is running after shutdown,
  6. shutting down pc with external hard drive running