Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down. I think it has to do with Fastboot. Is this ok or should I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by airtas, Sep 13, 2018.

1. airtas Win User

Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down.
    I think it has to do with Fastboot.

Is this ok or should I always eject before shutdown?

:)

airtas, Sep 13, 2018
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 13, 2018
  3. Darleen Pen Win User
    Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down - Similar Threads - keeps External Hard

2. Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down: I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down. I think it has to do with Fastboot. Is this ok or should I always eject before shutdown? 117779
  3. Windows 10 sometimes 'freezes' during shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 sometimes 'freezes' during shut down: On a few occasions over the time I have had this pc, it will 'freeze' during shut down - the spinning dots animation will stop spinning and nothing more happens until I hold down the power button on the box, which forces it to turn off. It always works fine after I turn it...
  4. Desktop keeps "shutting down"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop keeps "shutting down": I have been experiencing a problem with the computer shutting down multiple times a day. Sometimes when I am using QuickBooks, sometimes when using the internet, Word and so one. When it restart the computer all the windows are saved when I open the programs again. Its only...
  5. External Hard Drive (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Hard Drive (Windows 10): Hello, I have been using 2TB external hard drive for a couple of months and at the beginning I had no problems with it. Recently I noticed that my hard drive was taking longer and longer to load and open up the files although I only had like 600 GB filled. Just now, the...
  6. External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10

External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10: Hi Ever since the anniversary update, for some reason, when I unplug my external hard drive Windows 10 decides to close down, not crash, as it politely tells me it is shutting down. I use the 'eject external usb/hard drive etc' button and wait for the safely eject comment....
  7. HELP! Windows not running off external hard drive

HELP! Windows not running off external hard drive: I dono if I am posting this in the right bit but if you can help that will be great So my laptop runs off my external hard drive which is my (D) so when I log in my desktop open up from it and it was work until today when before I turn my laptop on I put in my USB stick...
  8. All HDD keep running after shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    All HDD keep running after shut down: After shut down all HDD keeps running (1 internal and 2 external) and computer becomes unresponsive. This is something new after 4 months without to many problems. 35927
  9. Laptop shuts down during Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop shuts down during Windows 10 installation: Okay so I'm trying to upgrade the Windows 7 on my laptop to Windows 10 and it keeps shutting down every time AFTER the download is complete. It shuts down on its own and when I start it again, I have to re-download the entire thing and it shuts down at the exact same point...
  10. PC keeps shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    PC keeps shutting down: My win 10 pc keeps shutting down when left inactive for any length of time. I have checked the power options page, see screenshot [img] Is there anything here that I need to change? Thanks in advance. I have just disabled hybrid sleep to see if this solves the...