Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps moving my desktop This PC shortcut

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps moving my desktop This PC shortcut in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Getting real tired of windows 10 already and its been 1 week. I have a This PC shortcut on my desktop and whenever i insert or remove a USB device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MajorFoley, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Windows 10 keeps moving my desktop This PC shortcut

Getting real tired of windows 10 already and its been 1 week.

I have a This PC shortcut on my desktop and whenever i insert or remove a USB device which is quite often it moves from the top of its column to the bottom!

It's not the auto arrange or align to the grid, i have tried with both settings off and on and it doesn't fix it so what is going on?

This along with the multi monitor hertz issue is starting to get real annoying and making me more likely to go back to windows 7.

:)

MajorFoley, Oct 31, 2018
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Oct 31, 2018
  3. Swapna S Win User
    Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Oct 31, 2018
  4. ydaltak Win User

Windows 10 keeps moving my desktop This PC shortcut

desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas?
    Windows 10 keeps moving my desktop This PC shortcut [​IMG]

ydaltak, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 keeps moving my desktop This PC shortcut

1. Windows 10 keeps moving my desktop This PC shortcut - Similar Threads - keeps moving desktop

2. Icons keep moving in my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons keep moving in my desktop: Hello everyone!I have Windows 11, the 'auto-arrange' option is unchecked, but every time I drop a new archive onto my desktop, all the other icons shift one place, as if the new one dropped wants to reach the first position on the left, but it doesn't, and is placed where I...
  3. Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11: Every time i turn on my pc my desktop shortcuts keep rearranging and idk why. I have auto rearrange off so idk why it keeps on doing it and how to keep everything from moving....
  4. Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11: Every time i turn on my pc my desktop shortcuts keep rearranging and idk why. I have auto rearrange off so idk why it keeps on doing it and how to keep everything from moving....
  5. My shortcut for "this pc" keeps going back to the bottom of the desktop...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My shortcut for "this pc" keeps going back to the bottom of the desktop...: Ok so i've had this for a while now, my shortcut for "this pc" does not wanna stay in place. It always wants to be at the left side at the bottom. https://reddit.com/link/iuiizn/video/0l0wxilicpn51/player If you have any idea how to fix this, i could use some advice. I...
  6. My "This PC" shortcut keeps moving on my desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My "This PC" shortcut keeps moving on my desktop: [ATTACH] So I always make a "This PC" shortcut on my desktop and I always put it as the first shortcut on my desktop - https://preview.redd.it/47onhgx8ykz41.png?width=190&format=png&auto=webp&s=f71a1a8947ec2206ceca4cbc6036906df59cba57 But whenever I refresh my PC or just...
  7. shortcuts keep saying moved

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    shortcuts keep saying moved: I keep getting shortcuts being moved so I cannot open word documents if they haven't disappeared https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcuts-keep-saying-moved/28ca4e84-eece-4f87-b8ca-f81804c689a3
  8. Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar: I have regularly pinned desktop shortcut icons to my taskbar simply by dragging them there. Currently I have one otherwise ordinary desktop icon which refuses to even offer me the option of being pinned. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution?...
  9. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173
  10. Can't move shortcuts on desktop...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move shortcuts on desktop...: After I install an application and it creates a shortcut on the desktop, I can't move the shortcut to another position. When I try to move it, I get a small slashed circle. What's up with that? 18020