Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps powercycling my USB ports even after being told not to!

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps powercycling my USB ports even after being told not to! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I use a HP Notebook - 15-da0307tx, and I have a Seagate Expansion 1TB SSD Drive plugged into the side, where I run all my Steam applications from,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Alope_Ruby_Aspendale, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Windows 10 keeps powercycling my USB ports even after being told not to!

I use a HP Notebook - 15-da0307tx, and I have a Seagate Expansion 1TB SSD Drive plugged into the side, where I run all my Steam applications from, including Blender. I also have a wired mouse plugged in as well.

I've had a number of times where the USB ports on my PC suddenly powercycle without warning, which kills any programs running off the SSD, meaning when I have Blender open, I lose any unsaved work. This also temporarily disconnects my mouse.

I've looked online and found that a way to disable "USB selective suspend setting", which is the advanced power settings:
    Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > USB settings > USB selective suspend setting

I disabled this setting weeks ago so my USB ports won't be switched off.

Unfortunately, today my USB ports powercycled multiple times in the past hour. I checked, and "USB selective suspend setting" remains disabled. I don't know what's screwed up here.

submitted by /u/Alope_Ruby_Aspendale
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Alope_Ruby_Aspendale, Aug 6, 2020
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Windows 10 keeps powercycling my USB ports even after being told not to! [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    USB ports failed

Hi,

To fully isolate where this problem is coming from, please answer the following:

• Have you tried connecting the peripheral devices to another computer to check if they will function?
    • How old is the laptop?

You can find additional things to try to fix USB port problems on this
    page.

We also suggest you run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
    in Windows 10. Here are the steps:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
    • Type Troubleshooting then press Enter.
    • On the left side, click View all.
    • Select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Next and see if it will find any problems.

Keep us updated about the issue.

Ruz San, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Windows 10 keeps powercycling my USB ports even after being told not to!

USB Ports Not Working

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

• Have you tried suggestions provided by Hamilton Apolinario?
    If not, please re-install Windows 10 and check the status. If the issue still persists, I suggest you to get the hardware diagnostic done from the manufacturer.

Step 1: Download the Windows 10 ISO (using another computer so you can use USB ports to transfer files)

Refer to the article below and download Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool.

Download Windows 10

Step 2: Make a USB flash drive bootable

Refer to the article to download Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to transfer ISO to USB flash drive to make it bootable device.

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

Important: Ensure there is no data in USB flash drive before making it bootable device. If you have any data, back it up accordingly.

Disclaimer: Please keep a backup of your data in case of loss.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 keeps powercycling my USB ports even after being told not to!

1. Windows 10 keeps powercycling my USB ports even after being told not to! - Similar Threads - keeps powercycling USB

2. Windows 10 USB port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 USB port: For some reason Windows 10 now wants my USB port to be formated when I plug in golf watch in. It used to work! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-usb-port/e559236d-5232-4580-8760-af1338856b93
  3. Windows 10 - USB Ports and Car Slots Keep Disconnecting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - USB Ports and Car Slots Keep Disconnecting: I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with an external USB A port and a micro SD-card port on the back. I use both of these for extra storage, with the SD-Card used as the secondary drive e.g. D:\. The problem is that both of these ports randomly drop the connection the drive...
  4. USB port not being read after windows update

USB port not being read after windows update: Hi,I just installed Windows 10 update Kb5003173 last night and booted my laptop up this morning. When the laptop boots, no power goes to my USB connected mouse and keyboard. After log-in, my mouse gets powerlight on the underneath of the mouse. However the mouse is not being...
  5. keeping a usb port incognito

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    keeping a usb port incognito: i want to make a usb port incognito from everything on my computer other than veiwing and editing on that file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keeping-a-usb-port-incognito/84497ffb-540d-42c6-8c33-9cb1f4a4eb74
  6. Disabling USB port from being used/recognized in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling USB port from being used/recognized in Windows 10?: My laptop (MSI GS63 7RD Stealth) is constantly making the connect/disconnect hardware sound. As in multiple times a minute. Makes it extremely irritating to use for anything that requires sound. I've used a USB logger to determine that the problem is USB port 6, which...
  7. USB to ethernet port not working even after driver installation

USB to ethernet port not working even after driver installation: Device USB\VID_0FE6&PID_9700\5&16aceb2e&0&3 requires further installation.\ Hi, I am getting this error when i'm using USB to ethernet port on my computer, and it is not getting connected....
  8. Keep on being told I can't sign into my MS Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Keep on being told I can't sign into my MS Account: It thien tells me "This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account, then signing back in. If you don't sign out now, any files that you create or changes that you make will be lost." I have signed out 6 or 7 times, but I always get the same message. I've also...
  9. Being told my C drive is unavailable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Being told my C drive is unavailable: I was browsing news articles on Microsoft Edge when a box came up and an alarm sounded. A clock was counting down and I was informed the computer would be wiped unless I pressed the button. I didn't press it, instead doing a ctl-alt-del and restart. Everything seemed fine on...
  10. USB ports being deliberately disconnected or disabled?

USB ports being deliberately disconnected or disabled?: [img] I am being bugged by a problem associated with USB ports apparently being intermittently disabled or disconnected. The result is a cacophony of device disconnected sounds being played. It ultimately means the PC has to be shutdown. Occasionally a device connected...