Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps prompting for a password to access a network location

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps prompting for a password to access a network location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One of our users previously had a network location saved but cannot now re-map it to access it again. There is no security on the shared location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aelford, Jan 27, 2020.

1. aelford Win User

Windows 10 keeps prompting for a password to access a network location

One of our users previously had a network location saved but cannot now re-map it to access it again.

There is no security on the shared location it's not Windows and other users can access it OK without being prompted for credentials.

The same user that is having problems can access the location OK from another PC if he logs in with his domain account.

Short of creating a new profile on his PC, what else can I check ?

Thanks

:)

aelford, Jan 27, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

add a network location windows 10

Hi Erich,

Adding a network place in Windows allows you to access FTP, Windows file shares, and some HTTP servers directly in My Network Places, without having to use an FTP client.
    To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you tried adding a network location?
    • Are you trying to add a network location or map a network drive?

Meanwhile, if you're adding a network location, we suggest that you follow these steps below about adding a network location:

• Open This PC in File Explorer, click on the Computer tab, click on the
      Add a network location button in the ribbon.
    • Click on Next in the Add Network Location wizard.
    • Click on Choose a custom network location, and click on
      Next
    • Type the address of the website, FTP site, or network location you want to add, and click on
      Next.
    • If you are allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, click on
      Next
    • Type a name you want for this network location in This PC, and click on
      Next
    • If you are not allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, then uncheck the
      Log on anonymously box, enter the user name for the network location, and click on
      Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • If you could not log on anonymously to this network location, you will see a
      Log On As
      dialog prompting you to enter the user name and password for this network location. Check the
      Save password box if you do not want to be required to type the user name and password every time you access this network location. Click on
      Log On when finished.
    • The network location will now open.

If you're mapping a network, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to map a network drive.

Let us know if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jan 27, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Forgot Windows 10 password...

For future reference, there have been reports that this was patched out several weeks back. I found an alternative method doing some registry diving.
    Reset Windows 10 password without using third party tools

Ahhzz, Jan 27, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Forgot Windows 10 password...

Just for future reference, you don't need ntpasswordreset to do this. You just have to boot off the Windows install media(it can even be a Win8 media). Then hit shift+f10 to get a command prompt. Use the command prompt to rename c:/windows/system32/utilman.exe to utilman.bak, then copy cmd.exe to utilman.exe. Reboot into Windows and hit the little easy of access button on the login screen. Enjoy your command prompt with admin level access. You can now use the net user command to reset your password.

This work on UEFI or legacy installs.

newtekie1, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 keeps prompting for a password to access a network location - Similar Threads - keeps prompting password

2. Could not access network location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not access network location: Hi, I get this pop up when trying to install a program, running Windows 11. I was trying to install to Program Files x86. Anyone familiar with this error or how to correct it? Thanks...
  3. Could not access network location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not access network location: Hi, I get this pop up when trying to install a program, running Windows 11. I was trying to install to Program Files x86. Anyone familiar with this error or how to correct it? Thanks...
  4. locating/ recovering network password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    locating/ recovering network password: how do i find my network password? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locating-recovering-network-password/028ebef5-fd76-42d5-913c-5c056886ac8b
  5. Could not access network location \

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Could not access network location \: stupid msi error appears everytime i install python, please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-access-network-location/1a7ccad8-a613-41c0-83cb-ff7e0b5bedb7
  6. Windows cannot access network location.

Windows cannot access network location.: Hi, got a really werid issue wondering if anyone has any ideas. I run an old Dell Optiplex system with a bunch of hard drives in. This runs Windows 7 and is used purely to sit quietly in the corner and to be forgotten about and runs my network drives. I've ran this setup...
  7. could not access network location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    could not access network location: I keep getting this prompt when I try to uninstall an application. the reason I'm uninstalling is because when I try to run the application it wont work. any help would be much appreciated. the application is the epic games launcher...
  8. How to disable the ‘Enter Network Password’ prompt Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable the ‘Enter Network Password’ prompt Windows 10: How to disable the ‘Enter Network Password’ prompt Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-enter-network-password-prompt/bbe8ebdf-268f-4fe0-aca8-f507f4b3feee
  9. failed to access network location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    failed to access network location: I failed to install some programs because of "not access network location *:\user\nodeJs\.” error. I use Windows 10 Home and encountered this issue while executing installation of different programs....
  10. What is this network password prompt asking for ?

What is this network password prompt asking for ?: One of scores and scores of people having home network connection issues...when prompted for the password, etc, when trying to access a network share (another desktop in the house)...This may sound stupid...but what is the attached jpg network password asking for ? Right...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dont have user name for network credentials

2. how do i find network credentials username

3. find network credentials in windows 10

4. network credentials windows 10,
  5. how to find windows credentials password,
  6. how do you locate network credentials