Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; It's 2019, and the issue I've been reading about and experiencing for years is STILL THERE. I use English and Russian keyboards. For both of them I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Agent_Ash, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Agent_Ash Win User

Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts

It's 2019, and the issue I've been reading about and experiencing for years is STILL THERE.

I use English and Russian keyboards. For both of them I use special custom typography layouts by Ilya Birman, which allow entering various special characters by using right Alt key.

After every few days or after every Windows update Windows 10 adds back its default keyboard layouts: English (US) and Russian (Russia). As a result I end up with four layouts instead of two. Moreover, look at this:

Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts 015e5c0e-0e25-4050-a16c-51b9ea667eab?upload=true.png

As you can I see, I have FOUR layouts in the actual language bar, but when I open the Keyboards menu, it DOESN'T EVEN SHOW THEM. Which is pretty clearly a bug. The only way for me to delete the unwanted layouts is to ADD them first (because, as you can see on the left, they're not there), and then delete them again.

And they will be again recreated after another system launch or so!

I'm absolutely baffled by how this is an issue. Here's a list of things that DO NOT WORK:

* Creating a new profile

* Copying settings with the correct layouts using Administrative tab in the Language menu in control panel

* Disabling Location services

* Using IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout in the registry edtior — in fact, this option has nothing to do with this issue whatsoever

* anything else I've been able to find on the internet.

Does anyone have any better idea? So far I've been only able to do one thing: open Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload in the registry, make sure the Data shows values for my custom layouts, not the default layouts, then block the SYSTEM from editing the Preload section. And even after THAT Windows manages to reinstate its control over editing Preload and re-adding the default layouts every so often.

Is no one really going to fix this?

:)

Agent_Ash, Mar 30, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

The extra keyboard layout keep adding to my language bar (with Pics)

Hi Panupong,

The updated Windows 10 may have detected your language, the reason why it automatically gave you the other Thai US keyboard. To correct this issue, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on the Start Menu, type in region and language settings and select it.
    • Under Languages, select Thai Kedmanee keyboard and click Remove.
    • Lastly, add it back by clicking Add a language.

After these steps, your keyboard layout will permanently stay with Thai Kedmanee keyboard.

Let us know if the steps above resolved your issue.

Xylee Del, Mar 30, 2019
  3. Yicoi Win User
    Windows 10 keeps adding extra keyboard layout?

Same here,

I just want Dutch Language with an US international keyboard but Windows 10 keeps adding, for no apparent reason, Dutch with a Dutch QWERTY layout (that nobody in the world even uses) and English with a US keyboard layout.

No matter how often I delete them (using a special kind of wizardry by adding the layouts and languages and removing them again, because in the Control Panel they are not installed) they keep coming back and it is driving me insane.

Microsoft, please fix this highly annoying bug, I can understand if you live in the US and have a US keyboard that you are not seeing this bug but the rest of the world is really getting irritated. Just do a Google search on "Windows 10 keyboard layout keeps
    changing"

Yicoi, Mar 30, 2019
  4. quadroval Win User

additional (half-visible) keyboard layout keeps adding (winows 10)

Thanks for reply, but I think I already have correct settings

Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts [​IMG]

but the point is why the exact layout (at this case it Ukrainian Enhanced) keeps adding after welcome screen.

I solved my issue with workaround, I just substituted the path for Ukr. Enhanced layout (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts)
    with the one I'd like to be for this language

Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts [​IMG]

so for system it's still Ukr.Enhanced and it doesn't have to add each time, but for me it's a layout I'd really like to use.

I'd like to find where the mapping between language and default layout is, but for now it's the simplest solution.

Nevertheless thanks for paying attention to my question.

quadroval, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts - Similar Threads - keeps adding default

2. windows keeps adding keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows keeps adding keyboard layouts: How do I stop this from happening? I just want to have "eng us international" and "eng us", how do i permanently remove the other ones? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-keeps-adding-keyboard-layouts/c3e0ee75-082d-4ef9-a766-dfcdea8fdfc8
  3. windows keeps adding keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows keeps adding keyboard layouts: How do I stop this from happening? I just want to have "eng us international" and "eng us", how do i permanently remove the other ones? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-keeps-adding-keyboard-layouts/c3e0ee75-082d-4ef9-a766-dfcdea8fdfc8
  4. Windows 11 keep adding keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keep adding keyboard layouts: Hi all, having a two weeks old W11 installation, I noticed that keyboard layouts are being added. Apologies for Czech in screen, but it's for kids.. Settings> Time & language> Language & region, click on the ... for language and "Language options". The bottom section is for...
  5. Windows 11 keep adding keyboard layouts

Windows 11 keep adding keyboard layouts: Hi all, having a two weeks old W11 installation, I noticed that keyboard layouts are being added. Apologies for Czech in screen, but it's for kids.. Settings> Time & language> Language & region, click on the ... for language and "Language options". The bottom section is for...
  6. Windows keeps automatically adding keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps automatically adding keyboard layouts: Like the title says, Windows keeps adding different keyboard layouts, and keep swapping between them. I only have 1 keyboard with 1 layout with 1 language, it shouldn't be changing at all. The keyboard also does not appear in the settings. I've tried going into language...
  7. Windows keeps automatically adding keyboard layouts

Windows keeps automatically adding keyboard layouts: Like the title says, Windows keeps adding different keyboard layouts, and keep swapping between them. I only have 1 keyboard with 1 layout with 1 language, it shouldn't be changing at all. The keyboard also does not appear in the settings. I've tried going into language...
  8. Windows 10 Pro keeps adding random keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro keeps adding random keyboard layouts: I have this problem , windows 10 pro keeps automatically adding some new keyboard layouts and i can't remove them , last year i had the same problem , but it was adding only English us layout...
  9. Windows 10 Pro keeps adding random keyboard layouts

Windows 10 Pro keeps adding random keyboard layouts: I have this problem , windows 10 pro keeps automatically adding some new keyboard layouts and i can't remove them , last year i had the same problem , but it was adding only English us layout...
  10. Adding a Keyboard Layout to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding a Keyboard Layout to Windows 10: Hi, this morning using the Keyboard Layout Creator I've created a custom keyboard layout for the Neapolitan Language Napulitano, since the standard Italian keyboard doesn't have circumflexed a, e, o, i and also the acute i and the acute o, but when I switch for the available...