Windows 10: Windows 10 Keeps Removing WinX Contents

Discus and support Windows 10 Keeps Removing WinX Contents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have an issue since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 few months ago. Basically, Windows 10 has that feature to right click on Start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stmalk, Aug 24, 2016.

1. stmalk Win User

Windows 10 Keeps Removing WinX Contents

Hi, I have an issue since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 few months ago. Basically, Windows 10 has that feature to right click on Start menu button to get access to system shortcuts like Programs, Settings etc. So this feature just stopped working for me after few days of Windows 10 usage. I googled it and found out it's a common issue that Microsoft just refuses to fix for couple of years already. To fix that one has to go to a Default user folde/ appdata/ local/ microsoft/ windows/ winx and copy group1,2,3 folders from there, then go to the same path for a current user and paste the folders in there.
    I did that, restarted explorer process and everything worked great until I reboot. After rebooting, these folder become empty again. So I have to repeat that copy and paste process every time I reboot. This is highly annoying and I have no idea why Windows 10 keeps removing those shortcuts.

I even created a backup folder next to Group1,2,3 folders in a current user directory, to do things quicker, but Windows 10 even removes contents of backup folder. Note - folders themselves stay, only shortcuts files get removed from them.

Could anyone suggest what is happening?

:)

stmalk, Aug 24, 2016
  2. smoggy Win User

Windows 10 Update - declined - still trying to install

Reply disappeared.

I did the script and updates are working properly - even if they do lie and say its windows 10.

I haven't tried the Disk Cleanup Tool, as I need to make sure I'm not removing stuff I want to keep but lost track of.

What has gone wrong though, is Explorer 11 is basically pooched since I did the WinX upgrade removal.

I visit lots ofhumor sites - memes etc.

One of my favorites - Ha Ha Stop

Every time I click the arrow to turn the page, Explorer 11 closes & restarts.

It was working fine - until the WinX update removal.

I'm at a loss.

And I may well be in the wrong area for Explorer 11.

John

smoggy, Aug 24, 2016
  3. jebks Win User
    the winkey-X shortcut not working properly.

The only fix I found is to take a flash drive and go to a system that has a working quick link menu and copy the files you need for it to run correctly then load them on your machine.

On the machine that has a working quick link function, go to File Explorer and the View tab, check hidden items box so you can see appdata folder and its contents. The go to....

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX folder. Copy WinX folder to the flash drive. Disconnect flash drive and go to your machine.

The on your screwed up machine Open File Explorer, go to View tab and make sure the hidden items box is "checked".

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX folder and delete the WinX folder.

Do the same thing on your user folder found at, C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX, deleting your existing WinX folder.

Insert the flash drive and go to C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows and paste the WinX folder into the Windows folder

Then go to your "your user" folder and paste the WinX folder into Windows as show below.

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows. Restart and hopefully all will be fine. This fixed mine...

jebks, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you seen these?
    Solved Start Menu button right click menu fails - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Right Click start menu items do not work - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 Start button - No right click option - Windows 10 Forums

which I found for you in this forum by searching for
    right click start doesn't work

Windows 10 Start button - No right click option - Windows 10 Forums

You could find more quite easily if you need more - you could add
    solved
    to the search string

If no solution please post back with what you've tried.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  5. stmalk Win User
    I think there was a confusion, as my issue is not how to restore right clicking. I know how to restore it. The issue is that after rebooting Windows 10 keeps removing those shortcuts from WinX folder. I want to understand why and how to stop this.

stmalk, Aug 24, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    So, taking ideas from those links.. which I guess you may not have tried..

1. have you actually tried Shellexview and disabling context menu entries to see if that stops this happening? (Hide all MS extensions, disable all others).

2. If no effect, try a clean boot and see if the menu remains

You're saying Win 10 removes its own menu. I've never seen that. What we're looking for is sthg installed that damages Windows.

A much more technical approach would be to use Sysinternals ProcMon, leave it running, find the folder has disappeared, then search ProcMon's log to see what did it.

That approach could be somewhat time consuming.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  7. stmalk Win User
    I did all of that, and it seemed to be working for a week. Then all of a sudden Win10 is at it again - right click stopped working and all WinX folder content is empty - no shortcuts in Group folders.
    I don't know what's going on, but Windows apparently removes them from time to time.

stmalk, Sep 2, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Does pressing Windows key + X work when the right click is not showing the shortcuts?

Ztruker, Sep 2, 2016
  9. stmalk Win User
    Nope. WinX Group folders just get empty, it won't work until I copy the contents of Group folders from the Default user and paste them into WinX of my user. And then it's going to work for some time until something happens again and they get emptied.

Also, I noticed every time it happens, sound volume icon also disappears from the panel at the bottom right. But this is usually easily fixed by restarting Explorer. But these two oddities happen together.

stmalk, Sep 2, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    "all of a sudden Win10 is at it again - right click stopped working and all WinX folder content is empty - no shortcuts in Group folders."

Why screw around with all that. Follow Brink's easy tutorial below and get an All Tasks folder with even more tools than Win + X has. I pin mine to Windows Administrator Tools but easy enough to pin to taskbar or wherever -

Control Panel All Tasks Shortcut - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Keeps Removing WinX Contents - Similar Threads - Keeps Removing WinX

2. Remove content on msn home page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove content on msn home page: I cannot remove sections from the MSN home page. There is no edit button or other mechanism to do so -- anywhere. For a while the sections were showing "new things coming..." but that's gone now. Also nothing showing in My Account to customize the home page....
  3. Remove content on msn home page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove content on msn home page: I cannot remove sections from the MSN home page. There is no edit button or other mechanism to do so -- anywhere. For a while the sections were showing "new things coming..." but that's gone now. Also nothing showing in My Account to customize the home page....
  4. WINX folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINX folders: After the latest update from Microsoft, ALL the WINX folders all users have been deleted. Where are they now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winx-folders/afb5d058-4680-4cd8-ad7c-b823e84ac233
  5. Removing contents of "C:\windows\servicing\packages"

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing contents of "C:\windows\servicing\packages": Trying to free up some space on c:\ drive. I see several old files in "C:\windows\servicing\packages". They are older files and are mostly .cat and .mum files. Are these safe to remove.?? I searched the tutorial files and index and found nothing. If safe to remove is there a...
  6. down load winx

down load winx: Can't down load winex ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/down-load-winx/c079db1a-2795-43e9-8469-5810c012df65
  7. WinX's Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    WinX's Shortcuts: WinX is 1 of your best friends in Win10. Ironic includes Run & accesses items without Run, anymore. Anyway, WinX has K/B shortcuts, you don't even need to bother opening your 'good friend'; know the shortcuts, instead . WinX+the underlined letters Above the red dots & voila...
  8. WinX menu duplicates

in Windows 10 Customization
    WinX menu duplicates: After recovering my computer, the WinX menu is displaying duplicates of most items: task manager, powershell, run, etc... Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanks, in advance!...
  9. WinX DVD Author

WinX DVD Author: How to uninstall WinX DVD Author. I get a msg that a file is missing and unable to uninstall. Need help...not very savvy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winx-dvd-author/7faa7cd8-98f0-4785-a4f9-2de78c2053b4
  10. Windows 10 Creator removes Ccleaner - and keeps removing it!

Windows 10 Creator removes Ccleaner - and keeps removing it!: Hi, With the latest Win major update (to build 1709), several programs have been peremptorily removed - without warning the user. This "phenomenon" has been documented and commented on all over the Internet. Apart from the uncouth manner in which such removals happen...