Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps restoring to previous version when trying to update

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps restoring to previous version when trying to update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey there! I'm on build 16257.1 and everytime i try to update it starts out fine: Downloads updates > Restarts > installs updates, but at some point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ChipnChap, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ChipnChap Win User

Windows 10 keeps restoring to previous version when trying to update

Hey there!

I'm on build 16257.1 and everytime i try to update it starts out fine: Downloads updates > Restarts > installs updates, but at some point it just restarts again and it says it's restoring my previous version of windows. Does anyone know what's causing this or how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance

:)

ChipnChap, Nov 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 Restoring to Previous Version Loop

Hey so I sort of "fixed" my issue (my comp got reset so yippee), I had to download that installation media onto a flash drive, but that didn't work, so I re-downloaded that installation media from another device (ex. I downloaded it from our family computer,
    then deleted it and used my personal laptop to download it again). Here is a link to that may be of some use (How to Clean Install Windows 10).
    For some weird reason this worked and gave me new options which allowed me to re-install windows 10 (yahoo). If this works for you make sure you download the correct windows 10 version (DO NOT DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 S, it is a scam, you cannot download anything
    that is outside of the Microsoft app store aka. Google Chrome, Steam, VLC etc. unless you wanna pay $200+ to upgrade). Once you have hard re-installed Windows 10, all of your old files will be put into a folder called OldWindows or something like that, so
    you shouldn't lose anything. Another link to show better step-wise instructions (How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step Guide).
    Hopefully this works for all of you. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm on a 24/7 Windows 10 smear campaign because this is absolutely ridiculous.

Parker Randall, Nov 4, 2017
  3. ChipK Win User
    Windows 10 Restoring to Previous Version Loop

My windows 10 update has also created a loop. I have tried the solutions recommended Microsoft and none of them work. I will be loosing money from this update from tomorrow. Where are the Microsoft Experts when you need them.

Microsoft get your finger out and post a credible solution, otherwise you are going to lose more customers to Apple and Google.

ChipK, Nov 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, could be anything from
    - disk problems (e.g. Hard Disk Sentinel (trial))
    - file system problems (chkdsk)
    - lack of space - check for free space
    - partition issues
    - 3rd party software conflict
    - corrupted system files (SFC /SCANNOW)

Try from an admin command prompt
    chkdsk C: /F
    SFC /SCANNOW

You could try inspecting the relevant log files and see what you can learn.

Also identify the particular update, find it in the News section here and read the comments following to see others' experiences.

dalchina, Nov 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 keeps restoring to previous version when trying to update - Similar Threads - keeps restoring previous

2. Restoring to a previous version of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring to a previous version of windows 10: Due to a failed windows update I lost my entire OS and had to reinstall, losing all the data and programs that had not yet been backed up. With the new build, some of my apps do not work correctly some have known issues that the developer is working on. They worked well in...
  3. Restoring previous windows version

Restoring previous windows version: Restoring previous window version stuck on loop, plss help me, If I cant fix this, I wont be able to be present in our online class https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-previous-windows-version/4f9dd09a-7fad-419a-947c-1e2b92b761bb
  4. Unable to restore previous version of windows 10

Unable to restore previous version of windows 10: I updated the windows 10 version to the latest 2004. After a few weeks I really disappointed to the latest version, when i want to restore to the previous version, it said i cant because the windows has updated for more than 10 days. How RUDE it is... now i stuck on this...
  5. Restoration of previous Windows version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restoration of previous Windows version: I have replaced my hard drive & I want to restore my earlier Windows version. How do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoration-of-previous-windows-version/f18453db-fdb3-4b0b-aef4-20347a27bff7
  6. Restoration of previous windows version onloop

Restoration of previous windows version onloop: My laptop troubleshoot option or advance option is not working for fixing onloop restoring previous windows version error kindly help with someother idea....
  7. Restoration of previous version of windows

Restoration of previous version of windows: I was playing video suddenly chrome stopped responding so i press shutdown button and it started updating windows on 13% i again press shutdown it stopped updating and now from past 2hrs its showing blank screen saying Attempting to recover installation and restoring your...
  8. Windows 10 April 2018 Update - Restoring previous version of Windows...

Windows 10 April 2018 Update - Restoring previous version of Windows...: So basically, every time I attempt to complete the April 2018 Windows 10 update, once it is complete, it will take about 30 minutes on the boot-up screen saying "Restoring the previous version of Windows..." Are there any fixes?...
  9. Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version

Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version: Hi, I've never had a problem updating my Win 10 Pro up til now. But for some reason, I am unable to go from current version 1703 to latest version 1709. I'm using the Windows 10 Update Assistant - which downloads the files and runs the installation. The computer then signs...
  10. Restoring Previous Version

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring Previous Version: So I download Windows 10 from here: Windows 10 Whilst I run it, no questions show up, asking anything, but in videos I see questions, asking about Updates and your current PC data. Once it completes, and restarts my PC, it finishes, then goes onto a screen saying...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 upgrade keeps restoring

2. windows keeps restoring previous version of a folder

3. windows 10 update keeps restoring previous version