Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps switching display mode

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps switching display mode in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have recently plugged a secondary monitor into my laptop, i want it to extend the display - so i chose "extend", but it never saves this choice. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sam the guy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Windows 10 keeps switching display mode

I have recently plugged a secondary monitor into my laptop, i want it to extend the display - so i chose "extend", but it never saves this choice. My computer will go to sleep and when i wake it the setting will be changed to "show only on display 2". This has gotten very annoying as i expect windows 10 to be capable of saving a simple display choice and not automatically change it.

I do consider myself an experienced windows 10 user, so i doubt updating a driver or turning my system on and off again will fix it. I need a permanent fix like editing the registry to actually save what i change the setting to.

:)

Sam the guy, Dec 31, 2018

2. Apps stop updating the display after switching to tablet mode

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with apps stop updating the display after switching to tablet mode.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

There is a possibility, that this issue might have occurred due to corrupt display drivers on the system.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt Hardware & Device troubleshooter

Let’s try running inbuilt Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to get the problem automatically detected and fixed. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed
    correctly.

• Press Windows + W keys on your keyboard to get the search option.

• Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting.

• Now click on view all option.

• Click on Hardware and Device and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Step 1: Update the Display driver.
    Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Click Start and go to
      Run.

• In the Run prompt, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and then click OK.

• Device Manager will open.

• In Device Manager
      expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display driver and click
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
    Step 2: Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

• When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Step 3: If the issue persists, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

• Open Device Manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display card driver and click
      Uninstall.

• Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.

• After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.
    Computer will load the generic display drivers. Now, please go to the manufacturer’s website, download and install the compatible display card drivers for your computer and check.

You may also refer to the following website below to download the drivers for the Graphics card.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download.

Note: The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Jan 10, 2020
  3. windows 10 will not keep the display settings for presentation mode

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to try updating the Display Adapter drivers check if it works for you. Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.
    Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display and chipset drivers for your computer and install the same.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Windows 10 keeps switching display mode

Unable to switch out of Windows 10S mode.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulty you are facing. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the model number of the system?
    2. Could you please provide the screenshot of the page where you are not able see Get button by referring to

How to include a screenshot in your post
      ?

We would suggest you to refer
    Switching out of S mode in Windows 10
    and
    Fix problems switching Windows modes in Microsoft Store
    and try performing troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 keeps switching display mode

1. Windows 10 keeps switching display mode - Similar Threads - keeps switching display

2. Switch screen displays in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch screen displays in windows 10: Hi everyoneRecently I added a new screen to my PC, the first one is connected with DVI and the second one is connected with HDMI. how can I change the PC screen and second screen defaults?...
  3. Switch screen displays in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch screen displays in windows 10: Hi everyoneRecently I added a new screen to my PC, the first one is connected with DVI and the second one is connected with HDMI. how can I change the PC screen and second screen defaults?...
  4. Display keeps Switching when logging out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display keeps Switching when logging out.: We have a problem with a Windows 10 PC. This PC is connected to a monitor and projector. Both screen have VGA connectors, so 1 screen is attached to DP with an adaptor. Core i5 10th Gen8gb ramWindows 10 21H2.All updates applied and all drivers up to date. On a Windows 2016...
  5. Display keeps Switching when logging out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display keeps Switching when logging out.: We have a problem with a Windows 10 PC. This PC is connected to a monitor and projector. Both screen have VGA connectors, so 1 screen is attached to DP with an adaptor. Core i5 10th Gen8gb ramWindows 10 21H2.All updates applied and all drivers up to date. On a Windows 2016...
  6. Display keeps Switching when logging out.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. windows 10 keeps switching windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 keeps switching windows: When i'm gaming, my window just randomly changes. it's very annoying. it's basically the same effect as pressing ALT+TAB but it happens on it's own. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-keeps-switching-windows/97ebbaa0-6029-4745-a635-bb0b5de946d5
  8. How To switch display modes ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How To switch display modes ?: With the new version of Macrium 7.2, I'm now able via M.R. rescue boot, access my NAS box where all of the Tablets MR images reside. However when booting from the rescue media, it goes straight to "Tablet Mode". Note that my tablet (ASUS Transformer) come with a detachable...
  9. Switching displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching displays: I often switch my display from my computer monitor to my TV screen by selecting Extend these Displays in Display Settings. There are two different ways this will work: 1. All screen contents i.e., all open windows, and controls switch to the alternate screen, i.e., TV...
  10. Display Switch - Change Presentation Mode to Project in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Display Switch - Change Presentation Mode to Project in Windows 10: How to: Display Switch - Change Presentation Mode to Project in Windows 10 How to Change Presentation Mode to Project Display in Windows 10 Display Switch is used to change the presentation mode of the main display of your Windows 10 PC to project on either the PC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. switch user option missing