Windows 10: Windows 10 Key after upgrading from Windows 8

Discus and support Windows 10 Key after upgrading from Windows 8 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been subscribed to the insider preview and had all the builds of Win 10 as they have been released when Win 10 went RTM I unsubscribed and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by acer54, Jul 31, 2015.

1. acer54 Win User

Windows 10 Key after upgrading from Windows 8

I have been subscribed to the insider preview and had all the builds of Win 10 as they have been released when Win 10 went RTM I unsubscribed and installed Win 8 Pro and registered using my legit Win 8 Pro key afterwards I upgraded to Win 10 RTM from Microsoft updates and after activation I expected a new Win 10 key - in fact after activation the key is the generic key I was using for the preview builds but Windows is permanently activated, anybody else noticed this?
    When I upgraded my other computer which was running licensed copy of Win 8 and had never been used for the insider program I got a new Windows 10 key after upgrading, however when I reinstalled Win 8 on the machine that had previously been used on the insider program and then upgraded to Win 10 I did not receive a new key - its the same key that I have been using whilst running Win 10 Preview!
    So why do I get a new key on the machine that never was on the insider program and the machine that was stays with the generic key?

:)

acer54, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Linney Win User

Reinstall or clean install of Windows 10 Pro

Start Windows 10 setup by launching it from within Windows 8, click on the Setup.exe. This will ensure that you upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 10.

If you boot from DVD via the Windows 10 DVD you will be given the choice of a Custom install, or an Upgrade install. A Custom install will take you down the Clean Install patch which is no good to you (initially) as you don't have a Windows 10 Product Key.

After performing the Upgrade install from Windows 8 to Windows 10, you can later clean install Windows 10 (on the same machine) without any Product Key in any subsequent installs, but you must have upgraded from Windows 8 first.

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Linney, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Clean installed, hard drive wiped, can't activate

If your computer shipped with Windows 8 or 8.1 the product key should be recorded in the UEFI. Install Windows 8.1 without entering any product key. After installation, use this command in an Administrator Command prompt to retrieve the product key from
    UEFI and activate with it:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

There is no Product Key used to activate Windows 10 free upgrade. It activates by upgrade not by Product Key. The Product Key embedded in the free upgrades is blocked and is not used to activate.

Upgrading from an activated, qualified Windows 7 or 8 OS will result in an activated Windows 10, if the upgrade is done properly and no product key is entered at any time during or after the upgrade. If you use setup.exe from the matching ISO, choose to
    Keep Windows settings and files. The ISO must match the edition of Windows 7 or 8 being upgraded (Pro, Home, Single language, etc.).

Don Cuthbert, Jul 31, 2015
  4. mrplt Win User

It's not the key that matters. Each motherboard has a unique ID, and Microsoft determines the activation state by checking that ID.
    So, once you upgraded from Windows 8/Windows 10 Insider to Windows 10 RTM, the OS will auto-activate itself each time you reinstall Windows 10.

Long story short, no, you won't get a unique key for upgrade.

mrplt, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Key after upgrading from Windows 8 - Similar Threads - Key upgrading

2. My windows 10 license key is expaired & my system don't meet the criteria to upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My windows 10 license key is expaired & my system don't meet the criteria to upgrade to...: My windows activation product key for windows 10 pro have expaired few days ago, and my laptop is displaying me messages to reactivate my windows 10 license but unfortunately the problem is windows have stoped selling windows 10 license keyThat's what i found on the web, i'm...
  3. My windows 10 license key is expaired & my system don't meet the criteria to upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 10 license key is expaired & my system don't meet the criteria to upgrade to...: My windows activation product key for windows 10 pro have expaired few days ago, and my laptop is displaying me messages to reactivate my windows 10 license but unfortunately the problem is windows have stoped selling windows 10 license keyThat's what i found on the web, i'm...
  4. My windows 10 license key is expaired & my system don't meet the criteria to upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro: key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-not-recognize-during-windows-11-upgrade-from/d6632b51-e96c-482d-9bda-a03667055253
  6. key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro

key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro: key not recognize during windows 11 upgrade from home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-not-recognize-during-windows-11-upgrade-from/d6632b51-e96c-482d-9bda-a03667055253
  7. Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade: Hi everyone,I work for an MSP and I have a managed customer who needs a few existing PC's upgraded from Windows 11 Home to Pro.I've done this before with the method of putting in a company Microsoft account with a company credit card to purchase the upgrade from right inside...
  8. Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade

Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade: Hi everyone,I work for an MSP and I have a managed customer who needs a few existing PC's upgraded from Windows 11 Home to Pro.I've done this before with the method of putting in a company Microsoft account with a company credit card to purchase the upgrade from right inside...
  9. Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?: Can I upgrade to Windows 11 PRO after installing an OEM windows 10 PRO key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-to-windows-11-pro-after-purchasing-an/c4fe2498-cc57-48fd-aa3b-94e4afb87eeb
  10. Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?: Can I upgrade to Windows 11 PRO after installing an OEM windows 10 PRO key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-to-windows-11-pro-after-purchasing-an/c4fe2498-cc57-48fd-aa3b-94e4afb87eeb