Windows 10: Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification

Discus and support Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Alright, so I've seen this many time.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Milan Vidovic, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification

Alright, so I've seen this many time.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-7-pro-retail-upgrade-to-windows-10/e73a407a-2e2b-44ad-b773-8b175474d473?auth=1

Yet I still don't fully understand. And the terminology doesn't help either. "Key". "License".

Alright. So i've been running Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit ever since I built my PC a few years ago and I upgraded to 10. It was running Windows 7 Pro Retail. I had a legitimate boxed copy. So what does this mean for my Windows 10 key? I used ShowkeyPlus and it says "Generic Key - Requires a Digital License for Activation". What does that mean?

How is my W10 key generic when I went from a retail key on W7? Shouldn't it be a retail key when you're going from a retail key?

What if I build an entirely new system in a couple of years with a new motherboard, CPU, etc? Would I simply be able to use the key I'm using now and just need installation media? Regardless of whether it's on disc on created on a flash drive?

:)

Milan Vidovic, Jul 23, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jul 23, 2019
  3. windows 10 key

Now that I have finally upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 will my Windows 8 key work with a fresh install of Windows 10?

Easy Rhino, Jul 23, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification

1. Windows 10 Key from Upgrade Clarification - Similar Threads - Key Upgrade Clarification

2. Require a clarification in Windows 10 to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require a clarification in Windows 10 to Windows 11.: Hi Support,I have a new Pc with latest hardware configuration will support for Win11. I have a retail license of Windows 10 Professional license.Once i installed the Windows 10 Professional license in the new system, shall i proceed to download the Windows 11 OS from...
  3. Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.: Hi Support,I have Windows 10 Professional Operating System license. My Laptop are not supporting for free upgrade of Windows 11 due to Hardware specification & TPM are not met the requirements.My question is that if i buy a laptop with good Hardware configuration without...
  4. Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.: Hi Support,I have Windows 10 Professional Operating System license. My Laptop are not supporting for free upgrade of Windows 11 due to Hardware specification & TPM are not met the requirements.My question is that if i buy a laptop with good Hardware configuration without...
  5. Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 10 Key from a windows 7 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Key from a windows 7 upgrade: Hello, I installed windows 10 on my computer using a windows 7 pro key that I had, but I lost the picture of the windows 7 key, my windows 10 is linked to my account actually I have 1 computer and 2 notebooks linked, is there a way to recover this windows 7 key inside...
  7. Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations: I work in the IT department for a local government. During the initial release of Windows 10, we upgraded as many PC’s as we could during the one year free period. We still had a number of PC’s that could not be upgraded at the time due to software compatibility issues....
  8. There will be no Windows 10 key generated from upgrade.

in Windows 10 Support
    There will be no Windows 10 key generated from upgrade.: After upgrading and once the computer has been successfully activated, I figured that there should be a new, valid Windows 10 license number for that computer. But according to Brink there isn't! From Brink: Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer,...
  9. Windows 10 Pro activatoin clarification

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro activatoin clarification: So, I have been using the insider preview of 10 Enterprise for a while now. Later I learned I can't keep using it after the final release so I decided to downgrade to pro. I installed pro from an ISO and skipped the part that asked for a key after trying several times to use...
  10. Windows 10 Clarification

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Clarification: Hi , Could someone just help me i`m i bit confused 1...I have got the upgrade icon and have done whats needed to up from 7 to 10 ,will i get (or be able to download) a hard copy of my OS for future use 2... I have also got build 10130 on my desktop will that upgraded to...