Windows 10: Windows 10 Laptop Administrator Changed to Guest Account - unable to reverse

Discus and support Windows 10 Laptop Administrator Changed to Guest Account - unable to reverse in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings,I have a tricky situation seeking expertise.I have a windows 10 laptop with one user log in. It was set as local user administrator. As I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Barista1676, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Laptop Administrator Changed to Guest Account - unable to reverse

Greetings,I have a tricky situation seeking expertise.I have a windows 10 laptop with one user log in. It was set as local user administrator. As I was trying to change that, somehow I managed to change the administrator to guest user. Now my laptop is stuck with no administrator user with one guest user and is unable to open Windows setting, let alone to add / remove user or even to try to use laptop's recovery program to reset.Is there a way to add another user without accessing to Windows Setting as a new administrator?Thank you very much.

:)

Barista1676, Jun 6, 2021

2. Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

July 15, 2017

I have WIN 10 Pro on a Dell laptop.

I have been unable to find a way to show ALL accounts, User, (built in) Administrator, Guest account, etc at WIN 10 login/sign on. The only account I can get to show in my user account (which has administrator status).
    I have successfully used the cmd “net user administrator / active:yes, net user administrator * “ and successfully assigned a password, and the net user guest / active:yes command. I restart or power down and restart and the only account that shows is the single user account. As far as I can tell issueing the above commands should make the Administrator and Guest accounts show on the login/signon screen. I have tried a couple of other options I found on line but without success.

I must be missing something. I did see a couple of comments about “User group. Home group” but could not figure out what was being asked. My Dell laptop is used at home, wireless connected to my router and the internet. I do not remember being asked any questions about “home group” or “groups” at installation on WIN 10.

Would appreciate any (detail) instructions or links showing how to make all the WIN 10 PRO accounts to show at logon.

Thank you

krazykat tenf, Jun 6, 2021
  3. lx07 Win User
    Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

Unless you made a typo here the command is incorrect. There should not be a space between / and active so if you want to enable built in administrator with password = "Secret123" you would enter:

net user administrator Secret123 /active:yes

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

You can then sign out (no need to reboot) and you should see the built in Administrator on the log-in screen.

The guest account doesn't exist any more in Windows 10. You could add an account to use as a guest account and make it part of the guests group if you want as described here Add Guest Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials but it is pretty limited. Users that are part of guests group can't open store apps for example.

lx07, Jun 6, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Laptop Administrator Changed to Guest Account - unable to reverse

Guest account option in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

I suggest you to turn on guest account and check. Please follow the below steps to enable guest account:

1. Open Command Prompt in Admin mode.

2.First, you have to get the list of all the user accounts of your system and to get the list type the command
    net user and click Enter.

3.In order to active Administrator Account, type the following command :

4. To activate the Guest Account type this command:

Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jun 6, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Laptop Administrator Changed to Guest Account - unable to reverse

1. Windows 10 Laptop Administrator Changed to Guest Account - unable to reverse - Similar Threads - Laptop Administrator Changed

2. How to change an account standard/ guest to an account administrator??

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change an account standard/ guest to an account administrator??: Hi I accidentally change my account administrator into an account standard and i don't know how to change it back , i literally do anything, and nothing is working. And i don't have an another account on my computer. I really don't know what to do , pls help !!!...
  3. Changing guest account to administrator account

Changing guest account to administrator account: Hi thereI am unable to use administrator settings even though I am using the only account on my computer which is considered a guest account. I got typing in Windows Run: "netplwiz" and changing my account permissions to "Device Owner"Now I cannot reset the computer or use...
  4. Changing guest account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing guest account to administrator account: Hi thereI am unable to use administrator settings even though I am using the only account on my computer which is considered a guest account. I got typing in Windows Run: "netplwiz" and changing my account permissions to "Device Owner"Now I cannot reset the computer or use...
  5. Changing guest account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Accidentally changed my only Administrator account to Guest

Accidentally changed my only Administrator account to Guest: Hello,As the subject suggests, I accidentally changed my only admin account to guest today. The account is also my Microsoft account, and I don't have any other accounts on my computer. So I ended up with only a guest account and can't use my laptop to its full potential....
  7. Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user: Hi all, Based in UK and now use an Active Directory 'work' account to log in. Since doing this, am unable to use any local accounts. The only option showing is the AD account & "Other User". When I select "Other User" the box asks me for an email address - not user name...
  8. Change Administrator Guest

Change Administrator Guest: Ran net user in cmd and noticed that the Administrator was set to guest. Went to setting and check if I was the only admin visible and I am. Guest account is not visible. How do I change that admin slot from Guest to my admin log in?? Thanks for the help, Ty....
  9. Managing guest account as administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Managing guest account as administrator: I created a standard guest account with restricted access to settings. Now I would like to do some personalization tweaks on that account (add profile picture, edit input languages and layouts etc). I can't do that when logged in as a guest. Is there a way to configure the...
  10. Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen: July 15, 2017 I have WIN 10 Pro on a Dell laptop. I have been unable to find a way to show ALL accounts, User, (built in) Administrator, Guest account, etc at WIN 10 login/sign on. The only account I can get to show in my user account (which has administrator status)....