Windows 10: Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open

Discus and support Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My HP laptop has been extremely slow thanks to a 100% disk. Before I saw the 100% disk Google Chrome wouldn’t open links, the loading icon would just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Coquelicote, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open

My HP laptop has been extremely slow thanks to a 100% disk. Before I saw the 100% disk Google Chrome wouldn’t open links, the loading icon would just keep spinning, then it wouldn’t open at all. Same with firefox but Edge would work. Now laptop is practically unusable.

Managed to disable Superfetch/Sysmain using regedit, that helped a bit with navigating but disk still at 100 and cannot open Services to disable Windows Search, or use admin Powershell to disable it. When it does open its just blank and then crashes. Also cannot left click on start menu and cannot open Settings or any other app, it will just flash and close.

Tried start ms-settings on Powershell but an error containing “The system cannot find the file specified”.

Malwarebytes came up with nothing, am really at my wits end. Please help me!

:)

Coquelicote, Oct 23, 2019

2. windows 10 apps won,t open

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Windows app troubleshooter.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: Run shell commands for Windows store and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin)
      to open elevated Command prompt.

• Type the following commands.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

• Hit enter, the blackscreen will appear still for a couple of seconds. After a couple of second a new line saying C:\.... will appear.

• Close Command Prompt.

• Try to start the Windows Store again.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 23, 2019
  3. Win10 start menu won`t open (SOLUTION)

To all people that suffer from same problems as I did:

-Win 10`s start menu won`t open after restart

-Win 10`s menu stops working after few days if your pc has been idle or just on.

-Win 10`s menu works after AC power down

-Win 10`s menu won`t work after restart unless you log out and relog through CTRL+ALT+DEL

It took me 7 hours to find cause of this problem, lots program reinstallations and browsing through internet.

Even Microsoft support didn`t provide the right answer for this problem, they just give you commands and advices to create new accounts, cleanup this, reinstall that, clean boot this, normal boot that. But what they don`t say is that all those problems are
    caused by their so called "feature" that released with their "Fall Creators Update". A feature that saves some data into the memory, so after restart it start`s to open all your chrome windows and other programs.

CAUSE:

Your windows might get some conflicts with some programms during the session, before the update if you shutdown/restart your pc, windows where just dumping all the data out of the window, after the update it started to save it to the memory (including all the
    conflicted data). THANK YOU MICROSOFT!

SOLUTION:

Go to your Search icon on the taskbar, type > Settings > Accounts > Sing-In options > Under "Privacy" uncheck/disable "Use my sing-in info to automatically setting up my device after an update or restart" > Restart

Hope it helps folks!

3DArtist

And ofcourse:

Microsoft, you`ve already forced us into updates with Win10.

Will you now please stop screwing up windows even more with your pointless system breaking features!

Stop reinventing the wheel.

3DArtist_007, Oct 23, 2019
  4. WendyK17 Win User

Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open

100% Disk with Newer HP Laptop and Windows 10

I have a relatively new HP laptop running Windows 10 that is showing 100% disk usage in Task Manager. I have tried all the commonly suggested fixes including:

• Restoring the system to factory settings and scrubbing the drives. (To ensure I didn't have a virus, malware, or corrupt driver)
    • Installing all Windows updates
    • Disabling windows search & smartfetch (Changed smartfetch in the registry to 0 so that it never runs)
    • Disabling automatic windows updates
    • Uninstalling One Drive
    • Changing the size of data that can be cached to the hard disk based on the RAM
    • Running diagnotics on the hardware
    • Delaying start of all possible apps that don't need to run at start up
    Is there some update / patch for Windows 10 that I can apply? Are there any other suggestions that someone can offer?

WendyK17, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open

1. Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open - Similar Threads - laptop 100% disk

2. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk utilisation slowing laptop: 2021 HP with i7 processors and Windows 10Have carried out HDD checks and all state its fine.Need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-utilisation-slowing-laptop/c5cbafc6-17fe-41ed-8f47-4989ec37cc83
  3. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk utilisation slowing laptop: 2021 HP with i7 processors and Windows 10Have carried out HDD checks and all state its fine.Need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-utilisation-slowing-laptop/c5cbafc6-17fe-41ed-8f47-4989ec37cc83
  4. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start menu won’t open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu won’t open: Im in windows 10 and my start menu won’t open for som reason and I can’t update windows. submitted by /u/iHateCollageAlot [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mhb722/start_menu_wont_open/
  6. Windows button won’t open the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows button won’t open the start menu: At first my bluetooth can’t be turned on there’s no button to switch it so I searched for solutions so I updated my windows. Afterwards when I’’ clicking my windows button on the keyboard, the windows tab won’t open same with the one on the screen. I already tried sfc...
  7. Laptop Incredibly Slow and Disk at 100%

Laptop Incredibly Slow and Disk at 100%: My wife's laptop is slow to the point of unusable and the disk is constantly at 100%, even start from bootup. I have removed everything I can from start-up and disabled all non-Microsoft services as you can see from the below: https://i.imgur.com/hHCL45T.jpg I am at a loss...
  8. Laptop's disk is always 100%, making it slow.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop's disk is always 100%, making it slow.: Hey there! I have this laptop, and got it last summer. For some reason, the disk is ALWAYS at 100%. Why is that? It seems to be the "System" process. [ATTACH]...
  9. 100% Disk Usage leak when opening Start Menu

100% Disk Usage leak when opening Start Menu: Opening the start menu provokes a massive spike on the disk usage, staying at 100% for several minutes. No processor seems to stand out on the Task Manager. I've literally tried every trick I could find online from the MSI one to killing superfetch & Windows Search, stopping...
  10. Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode: HP laptop very slow with 100% disk. Can’t access services.msc to disable Windows Search. A Powershell admin error message came when I tried to access start menu, settings also doesn’t work. Disabled superfetch, little improvement. Laptop is slow in safe mode too....