Windows 10: Windows 10 laptop crashes while sleeping: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Discus and support Windows 10 laptop crashes while sleeping: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, A few months ago my laptop started crashing intermittently, but the strange thing is that it only crashes while it's sleeping and it's never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cobaltcoder_777, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Windows 10 laptop crashes while sleeping: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Hi,

A few months ago my laptop started crashing intermittently, but the strange thing is that it only crashes while it's sleeping and it's never given me a BSoD. Sometimes it happens after my laptop has been asleep for a while, and other times it happens as soon as I close the lid. I can hear the fans spin up for a few seconds right before it crashes. So far I haven't had any problems rebooting my pc.

I tried analyzing some .dmp files and it looks like a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (bugcheck 9f). Arg1 is 0x3 , which means "A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time". When I tried digging into it more I saw tcpip.sys and Netwtw02.sys mentioned a few times, so I tried updating my wireless drivers (I used Intel's PROSet/Wireless SEStub Setup Program) but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm happy to provide some memory dumps and any other details that might help pinpoint the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:)

cobaltcoder_777, Oct 22, 2019
  2. cednix Win User

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (0x0000009f) Crash in Sleep

Hi there,

I have recently experienced an issue where my desktop crashes and restarts just as it enters sleep (occurring maybe 30% of the time). Debugging shows that this is as a result of a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (bugcheckcode: 0x0000009f). Reading elsewhere suggests
    this happens due to a particular driver, so I tried updating my Nvidia, Intel wireless, and chipset drivers to no avail.

Unfortunately, bluescreenview and WhoCrashed only report the kernel task ntoskrnl.exe as the culprit so it has been hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing the problem.

Would appreciate any advice on resolving this.

System Info:

Windows 10 Education (Version 1709, OS Build 16299.125)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

MSI Mortar B350 motherboard (latest BIOS)

16GB GSkill Trident Z RAM

GTX 1070 GPU

Minidumps:

Dropbox - Link not found

cednix, Oct 22, 2019
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Oct 22, 2019
  4. Phillmont Win User

Windows 10 laptop crashes while sleeping: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the two steps (turning of Hybrid sleep and Fast startup) you suggested but to no avail. Okay, for your two questions:

1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-bf101tx, and currently running Windows 10 1903 (upgrading from 1809).
    2. Nope. No error messages. I suppose the boot process was successful, however, my battery was reduced. That's why I suggest the post title as "Hibernating changes to sleep behaviour" because the battery level reduction looks like sleep behaviour.

Please inform me of any diagnostics information you might need. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Phillmont, Oct 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 laptop crashes while sleeping: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

1. Windows 10 laptop crashes while sleeping: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - Similar Threads - laptop crashes while

2. Laptop crashes when going to sleep mode. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE caused by driver...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop crashes when going to sleep mode. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE caused by driver...: My Asus M515DA laptop is crashing every time it goes to sleep mode. Using the program WhoCrashed i got the following report:Computer name:LAPTOP-42269N9HWindows version:Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 25921 x64Windows dir:C:\WINDOWSHardware:VivoBook_ASUSLaptop...
  3. Laptop Repeatedly Crashing - Driver_Power_State_Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Repeatedly Crashing - Driver_Power_State_Failure: Hopefully someone who is more experienced is able to help.I have recently started using my laptop again, having not used it for quite a few months, and am experiencing repeated crashes laptop model: Razer Blade 15 Base 2020.At first these crashes would happen about 30-45s...
  4. Laptop Repeatedly Crashing - Driver_Power_State_Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Repeatedly Crashing - Driver_Power_State_Failure: Hopefully someone who is more experienced is able to help.I have recently started using my laptop again, having not used it for quite a few months, and am experiencing repeated crashes laptop model: Razer Blade 15 Base 2020.At first these crashes would happen about 30-45s...
  5. Windows 10 crash while sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 crash while sleep: It happens all the time, whenever i left my notebook and come back. It crashed. here is the dump files : https://www.dropbox.com/s/snz3fug0pc81e0u/Win10-2004.zip?dl=0...
  6. [Crash] Laptop crashes while sleeping

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [Crash] Laptop crashes while sleeping: Description Sometimes, not all the time, my laptop crashes while sleeping and takes a few minutes to reboot from the SSD. The keyboard stays lit up throughout the whole process. It's been doing this for a while, so I figured I'd bite the bullet and try and fix it. I tried a...
  7. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD after closing lid of laptop(sleep)

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD after closing lid of laptop(sleep): A few hours ago I had closed the lid of my laptop to put it to sleep. But after opening it again, I saw that the PC had shut down. WhoCrashed showed that there was a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error and listed ntoskrnl.exe. I have attached the Log Collector's results below....
  8. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on Sleep

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on Sleep: This has been happening for a while. Doesn't seem to be any new drivers on the ASUS site that I don't already have. It seems to do it almost every time it goes to sleep. TIA for your help! Attachment 77615 48889
  9. Crash while sleeping

Crash while sleeping: From time to time my HTPC will crash while going to sleep. There's nothing to see on screen - I just find I have to press the power button on the PC (the remote doesn't work) and the system starts up from scratch. The event log shows the crash. BlueScreenView reports...
  10. BSOD on sleep, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

BSOD on sleep, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: This has been a problem even before upgrading to 10 from 8.1, but its getting worse. I reviewed my drivers in Device Manager and most look up to date. I realized I didn't have a chipset driver installed and that helped for a day or two, but its happening again. Any help...