Windows 10: Windows 10 laptop display setting will not allow manual changes

Discus and support Windows 10 laptop display setting will not allow manual changes in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a laptop running windows 10, the screen is broken, so I figured I would just plug it into a monitor with and HDMI. It works ok but there are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Fastdraw45, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Windows 10 laptop display setting will not allow manual changes

I have a laptop running windows 10, the screen is broken, so I figured I would just plug it into a monitor with and HDMI. It works ok but there are problems.

The display is too big for the monitor. The task bar is cut in half and the first column of icons on the left is also mostly off the screen. This must be a rather common problem because I have found multiple threads on how to fix it. The problem is when I go into the intel graphics control panel I change "select display" from "built in display" to "digital television" then I will make other changes to see if it will fix the problem. I click on "apply" the screen will got dark for a moment then come back on, doesn't look any different. Then I look at the "select display" and it is on "built in display" again. I figured this is something the manufacturer put in to keep people from screwing up their computer. I really would appreciate some advice, Thanks

:)

Fastdraw45, Sep 25, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User

Laptop display question

Confusing statement! You want to change the display on your laptop that died?

Is that correct?

How do you know its the display that's bad?

Just google "how to change display on a acer 5745"

Should get you to step by step instructions. But first make sure its the display that's bad

Jetster, Sep 25, 2020
  3. Berton Win User
    Windows 10 laptop display setting will not allow manual changes

I've not heard of that brand but does it have only the HDMI port for an external monitor or projector? Some will also have a DisplayPort or a VGA port. Most will have a hardware solution of a keyboard combination [Fn + another key] to select the display, the port for external monitor or both at the same time, quite handy when I had to work on a three with a bad display [one was dropped, one had a child step on it and the third had the house hit by lightning].

Berton, Sep 25, 2020
  4. Windows 10 laptop display setting will not allow manual changes

I have a laptop running windows 10, the screen is broken, so I figured I would just plug it into a monitor with and HDMI. It works ok but there are problems.

The display is too big for the monitor. The task bar is cut in half and the first column of icons on the left is also mostly off the screen. This must be a rather common problem because I have found multiple threads on how to fix it. The problem is when I go into the intel graphics control panel I change "select display" from "built in display" to "digital television" then I will make other changes to see if it will fix the problem. I click on "apply" the screen will got dark for a moment then come back on, doesn't look any different. Then I look at the "select display" and it is on "built in display" again. I figured this is something the manufacturer put in to keep people from screwing up their computer. I really would appreciate some advice, Thanks

Fastdraw45, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 laptop display setting will not allow manual changes - Similar Threads - laptop display setting

2. Can I change display contrast settings for internal laptop display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change display contrast settings for internal laptop display: Hi,So, i just bought a new computer and reinstalled it with Windows 11. While I'm not sure what the conditions were with windows 10, after setting it up, I noticed that websites especially searches are really washed out, and that the contrast is off. Is there any way I can...
  3. Can I change display contrast settings for internal laptop display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I change display contrast settings for internal laptop display: Hi,So, i just bought a new computer and reinstalled it with Windows 11. While I'm not sure what the conditions were with windows 10, after setting it up, I noticed that websites especially searches are really washed out, and that the contrast is off. Is there any way I can...
  4. Windows changes display settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows changes display settings: On a number of occasions, when I turn on my laptop, Windows 11 has changed the lock screen to show pictures - while have always have it set to Windows Spotlight. And often changes the background to a different wallpaper to the one i use.I am getting fed up of always having to...
  5. Windows changes display settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows changes display settings: On a number of occasions, when I turn on my laptop, Windows 11 has changed the lock screen to show pictures - while have always have it set to Windows Spotlight. And often changes the background to a different wallpaper to the one i use.I am getting fed up of always having to...
  6. Change display setting in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change display setting in windows 10: Dummy here was messin the the computer and changed a setting that caused the monitor settings to switch to analog.my monitor cant display analog.how can I switch it back not being able to see a screen? Couldnt find a way to get it in safe mode and get to where I could change...
  7. Manual settings to update Windows 10

Manual settings to update Windows 10: I have a Windows 10 Home Edition and I can't seem to find a way to be able to manually select updates of Windows 10. It seems to download immediately and only I can configure is the time when it restarts. Can anyone help on this?...
  8. Changing display settings

Changing display settings: When I turn my HP laptop off and back on, the display setting for duplicate screens changes to show display only on screen 2. The laptop is HDMIed to a Sharp TV. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-display-settings/9c433081-5e0d-4608-b700-1e62f647bfe0
  9. Display settings not allowing multiple displays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display settings not allowing multiple displays: Since the update yesterday in windows 10 insider, my settings in multiple displays is not functioning correctly. most boxes are blank, and with not allow me to extend display to all monitors? Brian...
  10. Display settings not allowing multiple displays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display settings not allowing multiple displays: Since the update yesterday in windows 10 insider, my settings in multiple displays is not functioning correctly. most boxes are blank, and with not allow me to extend display to all monitors? Brian...