Windows 10: Windows 10 laptop goes to sleep despite every possible setting

Discus and support Windows 10 laptop goes to sleep despite every possible setting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We have two laptops running Windows 10 Pro version 1703. Both show the following problem: When the laptop lid is closed, the laptop goes to sleep or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BartZorn, Nov 19, 2017.

1. BartZorn Win User

Windows 10 laptop goes to sleep despite every possible setting

We have two laptops running Windows 10 Pro version 1703. Both show the following problem:

When the laptop lid is closed, the laptop goes to sleep or hibernation after a random time. I have tried every possible setting I can think of to prevent it, but it still happens.

With one of the laptops (an Asus N53SV) this has happened for a long time already. Because it seemed to be a hardware related problem (closing the lid) I even went as far as replacing the motherboard, which did not help.

With the other laptop (an Asus N75SF) this recently started happening.

Both are members of my local Windows Domain (Windows Server 2016), so group policy could also play a role. However, I could not find anything that could be related to this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Bart

:)

BartZorn, Nov 19, 2017

2. computer goes to sleep every few minutes despite settings

My laptop goes to sleep every few minutes despite the settings I have. I even have it set to not go to sleep when plugged into power and it still does.

MarkSlomann, Nov 19, 2017
  3. KidKatz Win User
    Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Upgraded to Windows 10. Closing lid won't cause laptop to sleep, despite all settings being correct. Tried every one of these fixes and none of them works.

KidKatz, Nov 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  5. BartZorn Win User
    Thanks.

powercfg /SYSTEMSLEEPDIAGNOSTICS /duration 10 gives me one sleep event, but I can't deduct why it went to sleep.

I found many event 42 in the event log. There were only 2 Sleep Reasons: "Application API" and "Button or Lid". I would not expect "Button or Lid", because I disabled that whereever I could. I could not find any occurrence of Sleep Reason: Battery.

"Application API" is a possible cause, but I see no possibility to find out what application or API is the culprit. In Event Viewer is a link Event Log Online Help, but that gives a blank page.

The sleep occurs when the laptop is on AC power. I don't know if it happens when on battery too.

I have installed the Insomnia tool, and I will wait and see what happens.

Bart

BartZorn, Nov 20, 2017
  6. BartZorn Win User
    It seems that the Insomnia tool does what it promises. The laptops both did not sleep since I installed it.

Of course, this does not answer the questions what the real cause of sleep is.

Bart

BartZorn, Nov 21, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, are you sure it's sleeping, not hibernating?
    Does it sleep when on battery or when plugged in?

Windows 10 laptop goes to sleep despite every possible setting [​IMG]

(Those can of course be set to sleep).

I have hibernation disabled, so was a little surprised to find them set thus.

dalchina, Nov 21, 2017
  8. BartZorn Win User

I am sure it is sleeping and not hibernating. The power led is blinking, and when I press the power button the system is back on almost immediately.

I am not sure how the system behaves when on battery. All my observations are done when on AC power.

Bart

BartZorn, Nov 21, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so not that- thanks.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 laptop goes to sleep despite every possible setting - Similar Threads - laptop goes sleep

2. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never: Hello, I have an Asus ProArt Studiobook 16.Fresh install of windows 11, all drivers up to date. I like my computers to stay on constantly when they are plugged in so that they can run programs in the background or be accessible via remote desktop at any time. No matter what...
  3. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never: Hello, I have an Asus ProArt Studiobook 16.Fresh install of windows 11, all drivers up to date. I like my computers to stay on constantly when they are plugged in so that they can run programs in the background or be accessible via remote desktop at any time. No matter what...
  4. Computer display goes to sleep quickly despite sleep settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer display goes to sleep quickly despite sleep settings: I'm having trouble with my computer going to sleep too quickly. I currently have all the sleep settings set so the screen won't turn off or go to sleep for 2+ hours. Despite this, my computer screen goes to sleep after about 5 minutes of inactivity and seemingly disregards my...
  5. Computer display goes to sleep quickly despite sleep settings

Computer display goes to sleep quickly despite sleep settings: I'm having trouble with my computer going to sleep too quickly. I currently have all the sleep settings set so the screen won't turn off or go to sleep for 2+ hours. Despite this, my computer screen goes to sleep after about 5 minutes of inactivity and seemingly disregards my...
  6. Windows Goes to Sleep in 1 to 2 Minutes Despite Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Goes to Sleep in 1 to 2 Minutes Despite Settings: I have a Dell Latitude 9410 with Windows 10 Professional. For some reason my computer goes to sleep within 1 to 2 minutes despite my power and sleep settings set to 30 to 45 minutes. I've tried a number of suggestions from forums and sources including the items listed...
  7. Windows Goes to Sleep in 1 to 2 Minutes Despite Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Goes to Sleep in 1 to 2 Minutes Despite Settings: I have a Dell Latitude 9410 with Windows 10 Professional. For some reason my computer goes to sleep within 1 to 2 minutes despite my power and sleep settings set to 30 to 45 minutes. I've tried a number of suggestions from forums and sources including the items listed...
  8. Windows Goes to Sleep in 1 to 2 Minutes Despite Settings

9. Windows goes to sleep despite there's Music playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows goes to sleep despite there's Music playing: I have this problem where my PC will goes to sleep even though there's music playing. I have set my Power Options as Screen 5mins and Sleep 10 minsI usually leave my Media Player Playing my music in an few hours long of playlist and it still will goes to sleep after a little...
  10. Windows goes to sleep despite there's Music playing

Windows goes to sleep despite there's Music playing: I have this problem where my PC will goes to sleep even though there's music playing. I have set my Power Options as Screen 5mins and Sleep 10 minsI usually leave my Media Player Playing my music in an few hours long of playlist and it still will goes to sleep after a little...