Windows 10: Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user

Discus and support Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi all, Based in UK and now use an Active Directory 'work' account to log in. Since doing this, am unable to use any local accounts. The only option... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by st3v3ch61, Jan 12, 2021.

1. st3v3ch61 Win User

Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user

Hi all,

Based in UK and now use an Active Directory 'work' account to log in.

Since doing this, am unable to use any local accounts. The only option showing is the AD account & "Other User".

When I select "Other User" the box asks me for an email address - not user name such as "Steve" or "User1" which are not linked to an email or MS Account.

Both these are showing as valid user accounts in system settings.

When I enter "User1" and enter CORRECT password I get error message saying that one of them is incorrect.

So annoying!

My PC shows ALL available accounts - one of which is linked to MS..

Why do MS make things so complicated..

:)

st3v3ch61, Jan 12, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

How to create a Guest account?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply with the following details to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps:

• What is the complete error message you receive?
    • Which edition of Windows 10 are you using i.e. Windows 10 Home/Pro?

Ideally, if you are using Windows 10 Pro, you can create a Standard account and then, you can change the Group permissions as a Guest for that particular Standard account. The permissions for the Standard user account will be same as for the Guest
    account.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to create the account:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type netplwiz and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Add and follow the on-screen instructions to create a new user account.
    4. Now, double click on the newly created user account and click on
      Group Membership.
    5. Click on the radio button for others and select
      Guest from the drop down list.
    6. Click on Apply and OK.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 12, 2021
  3. StephanP Win User
    Create (alternative) Guest Account in W10 Home?

Apparently, Windows 10 Home does not quite support Guest accounts.
    Yes, one can activate the internal Guest account with net user Guest /active:yes
    But then it does not show up in the log in screen, or it does show up, but nothing happens when you enter it.

Is there a way to create an alternative guest account?
    E.g.
    • Create a local account (not associated with an e-mail address or Microsoft account)
    • Somehow give it the characteristics that mimic the Guest account as we used to know it
      Note: W10 Home does not provide User Group Management
      • Advanced Registry tweaks?
      • PowerShell script?

StephanP, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Add Guest Account in Windows 10

Odd.

As a test, are you able to create a normal local account, and sign in to it?

If so, you can pick up at step 4 in Option 2 while signed in to your administrator account to convert it from a local user account to a guest account.

Brink, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user - Similar Threads - laptop unable create

2. Unable to create local user in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to create local user in Windows 10 Home: Hi Support team,Could you please assist me on the local user creation in Windows 10 Home. I couldn't create and getting the error. Please see attachment for your reference.Thank you,...
  3. Unable to create local user in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create local user in Windows 10 Home: Hi Support team,Could you please assist me on the local user creation in Windows 10 Home. I couldn't create and getting the error. Please see attachment for your reference.Thank you,...
  4. Unable to create local user in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to create new local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to create new local user account: I'm on my Windows 10 Home PC logged in as Administrator local user and trying to create a new standard local user. I go to settings -> accounts -> other users I select "Add someone else to this PC" and it comes up with a new window headed "Local Users and Groups" telling me...
  6. Creating a guest account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating a guest account: Hi there, Is there a recommended way to create a guest account in Windows 10? I have people over sometimes who use my computer and I don't want them to be able to access any of my personal files. I'm on Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900). Thanks! 160397
  7. how to create a guest account in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to create a guest account in windows 10: i want to create a guest account in windows 10. i would appreciate if you can show me the steps Regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-guest-account-in-windows-10/596b74a4-707d-4d58-a285-abade8aa7fbf
  8. Unable to creat user account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to creat user account: As the Administrator I try to create a new account and I get an error as follows: Local users and groups This snapin may not be used with this version of Windows 10. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel. I did get here...
  9. Creating a windows 10 guest user account through office 365

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Creating a windows 10 guest user account through office 365: We have about 10 pc laptops around the office and I would a couple of them a windows 10 guest login for temporary staff or interns. I don't want to create a local account. I want to create it through office 365. Can that be done?...
  10. Unable To Create User Accounts - Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable To Create User Accounts - Windows 10: I have upgraded a W7 OS to a W10 OS. One of my Administrator User Accounts was changed to ‘Temporary’. I deleted the Account since I lost the desktop and settings every time I logged off. I cannot create any other User Accounts. I open the ‘Add A User Account’ page then go to...