Windows 10: Windows 10 laptop won't shut down properly, needs power button to be p

Discus and support Windows 10 laptop won't shut down properly, needs power button to be p in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running Windows 10 Home on an ASUS Q551LN 2-in-1 laptop which originally came with Windows 8.1. When I shut down/restart/sleep the machine,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by crazyfool, Aug 24, 2015.

1. crazyfool Win User

Windows 10 laptop won't shut down properly, needs power button to be p

Hi, I'm running Windows 10 Home on an ASUS Q551LN 2-in-1 laptop which originally came with Windows 8.1.

When I shut down/restart/sleep the machine, it does not shut down - the Hark Disk activity light is still blinking and the normal power button press does not work. If I do nothing, it remains in this state for hours. I need to press the power button for 5 seconds to reset it. Only then I can start the laptop.

This happens around half the times. The other half it works normally. I never had this problem with the OEM 8.1 on this machine.

Based on other threads - I have the latest Windows 10 updates, and disabling fast boot did not solve the problem.

Thanks.

:)

crazyfool, Aug 24, 2015

2. my computer won't shut down properly.

Windows 10 - my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power
    button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions? Thanks In Advance.

RaihanMahmudBD, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Windows 10 computer not shutting down correctly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold
    the physical power button down till it shuts down. Then when I restart the system warns me that the last shutdown did not work properly and it gives me a choice to troubleshoot or restart. When I choose restart everything seems to load as normal. Any suggestions?

sachinnakhate, Aug 24, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

In another thread you were asking about a clean install. If you do this, you may have less problems. HOWEVER, I would highly recommend you use ASUS Backtracker to create a separate copy of your factory restore partition on a 16GB flash drive. You may want to check this out, specific to your laptop:

Word Man, Aug 29, 2015
  5. crazyfool Win User
    crazyfool, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 laptop won't shut down properly, needs power button to be p - Similar Threads - laptop won't shut

2. The laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to "Hibernation".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to "Hibernation".: The laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to "Hibernation".The Laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to a supposed Hibernation state, where the fan and light are both steadily on.I'm forced to push the power button to turn it completely off.In said...
  3. The laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to "Hibernation".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to "Hibernation".: The laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to "Hibernation".The Laptop won't properly shut down and instead goes to a supposed Hibernation state, where the fan and light are both steadily on.I'm forced to push the power button to turn it completely off.In said...
  4. Power button shuts down laptop, instead of waking it up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button shuts down laptop, instead of waking it up: Since the past 2 weeks, I've been seeing strange behavior in my laptop.When I close the lid, it goes to sleep, but when I press the power button to turn it on, it just shuts down immediately. And doesn't turn on even after pressing power button.Then when I remove the...
  5. Power button shuts down laptop, instead of waking it up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power button shuts down laptop, instead of waking it up: Since the past 2 weeks, I've been seeing strange behavior in my laptop.When I close the lid, it goes to sleep, but when I press the power button to turn it on, it just shuts down immediately. And doesn't turn on even after pressing power button.Then when I remove the...
  6. Power button shuts down laptop, instead of waking it up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  7. Power then Shut down Buttons

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...
  8. Power difficulties & Windows not properly shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power difficulties & Windows not properly shutting down: I have two issues and I'm wondering if they are related. My computer randomly shuts down when I am just browsing on Bing. The screen goes black and the fan stops. I press the power button to turn it back on and it goes to the factory lock screen and is no longer connected to...
  9. Laptop not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not shutting down properly: For like 3 4 years at this point my laptop wont shut down properly, it worked fine when it was on win7 but at some point i upgraded to win8.1 and on 10 since its release. When i turn it off/hibernate, instead of shutting down properly everything "shuts down" but for some...
  10. Windows 10 won't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 won't shut down properly: Why won't Windows 10 shut down. I get a blue screen "shutting down." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-wont-shut-down-properly/4e1a4ae5-c2f7-4b25-b220-21471e59e392