Windows 10: Windows 10 Later Builds Missing Codecs that prevent videos from being played (Google Photos)

Discus and support Windows 10 Later Builds Missing Codecs that prevent videos from being played (Google Photos) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, It seems that a Windows 10 update has removed necessary codecs that prevent audio from playing within the browser (Edge, Firefox, and Chrome)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tamarw, Sep 5, 2019.

1. tamarw Win User

Windows 10 Later Builds Missing Codecs that prevent videos from being played (Google Photos)

Hello,

It seems that a Windows 10 update has removed necessary codecs that prevent audio from playing within the browser (Edge, Firefox, and Chrome) on later versions of Windows 10 (I'm currently using build 18362) in for all videos backed up in Google Photos.

The video quality is fine. The videos are fine. They play on all devices except Windows 10 with these latest updates. They also play when downloaded locally, but that's only because I am using VLC with necessary codecs to view them. They do NOT play in the browser and do NOT play locally in the Windows Native Movies & TV app.

Here's a reference post: https://support.google.com/photos/thread/747085?msgid=759510 - it's clearly affecting more than one person.

Can someone advise on what codecs are needed--and does anyone know why Windows would just remove them?

(posting to performance and system failures since this is a performance issue)

:)

tamarw, Sep 5, 2019

2. Video import and play on Windows 10

Hi Russ Bristol,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you get any error message when you try to play imported videos in Windows media player?

• What is the format of the video files you try to play using Windows media player?
    Try these steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Check the file type.

Check if the file type is supported in Windows Media Player 12. You may verify the information below. The information is more or less the same except for few file types such as H.264, Xvid and DivX video codecs, AAC audio<sup></sup>
    and 3GP, MP4 and MOV container formats that are natively supported by WMP 12.

Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992/

Step 2: Download and install codec.

If the file type is supported by the Player, make sure the codec used to compress the file is installed on your computer. Some codec’s aren't supported by the Player.

Here’s how you can check for the codec of the file.

To do this, follow these steps in Windows Media Player 12:

• Determine whether the codec is installed on the computer that you are using to play the file. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. In the Now Playing area, right-click the file that you are trying to play, and then click
    Properties.

b. Click the File tab, note the codecs that are specified in the
    Audio codec and the Video codec areas, and then click
    OK. If the following condition is true, go to step 2.

No video codec is specified.

c. On the Help menu, click About Windows Media Player.

d. Click the Technical Support Information hyperlink.

e. Determine whether the video codec that you noted in step 1b is listed in the Video Codecs area. If the codec is not listed, go to step 2.

f. Try to reinstall the codec. If you cannot reinstall the codec, go to step 2.

g. Try to play the file. If you can play the file, go to step 3.

2. Install the codec.

To do this, follow the below steps:

a) If you receive an error message when you try to play the file, click
    Web Help. If you do not receive an error message when you try to play the file, go to step 3.

b) On the Microsoft Web site, click the link to the Wmplugins Web site. If this link is not present, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

c) Try to play the file. If you can play the file, skip step 3.

3. Obtain the codec from a external vendor. For information about your hardware manufacturer, visit the following Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors/en-us

If your file format you have downloaded/imported is not supported in Windows Media Player. However use your favorite search engine to search for the application that converts the file to the format that Windows Media player supports.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Sep 5, 2019
  3. video codec missing

pls help Windows 10 Later Builds Missing Codecs that prevent videos from being played (Google Photos) :(

i try to open some avi files with pc suite to have them playing on my mob and it says he video codec is missing... what can I do?

eleniz---01, Sep 5, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Later Builds Missing Codecs that prevent videos from being played (Google Photos)

"Error: video cannot be decoded" while playing DVD media in Windows DVD player.

Hello,

The issue might be occurring due to any codec issue with Windows 10.

In order to help you further with your issue, we require few information from you.

• From which application are you trying to play the videos?
    • Are you able to play videos which are installed locally on the hard drive?
    • Is the playback issue pertaining with all videos or any particular video?
    • What is the file extension/ format of the video file which you are trying to play with DVD app?
    I would suggest you to try installing Codec and check if it works for you.

Codecs - frequently asked questions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...s#codecs-frequently-asked-questions=windows-8
    Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software
    can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

This issue may also occur due to the outdated Display driver. Try the below steps and check if it helps.

I would suggest you to update Display driver. Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and click on Device manager.

2. Locate for Display Adaptor and expand it.

3. Right click on the adaptor and click on update.

Let us know if you are able to play any media with DVD app.

Akheel Ahmed, Sep 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Later Builds Missing Codecs that prevent videos from being played (Google Photos)

1. Windows 10 Later Builds Missing Codecs that prevent videos from being played (Google Photos) - Similar Threads - Later Builds Missing

2. Missing video codecs for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing video codecs for Windows 11: I've recently got a new laptop with W11 on. Mostly, things are fine, but on some videos that I play, when I choose to jump forward, it becomes scrambled for a few seconds before getting right again. I presume I'm missing a codec, but my player VLC and when looking if my...
  3. Missing video codecs for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing video codecs for Windows 11: I've recently got a new laptop with W11 on. Mostly, things are fine, but on some videos that I play, when I choose to jump forward, it becomes scrambled for a few seconds before getting right again. I presume I'm missing a codec, but my player VLC and when looking if my...
  4. video codecs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video codecs: information about video codec https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-codecs/ebd1279a-4645-443b-8d58-dada726dbfb6
  5. video codecs

video codecs: information about video codec https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-codecs/ebd1279a-4645-443b-8d58-dada726dbfb6
  6. What is Microsoft Photos video codec with lowest CPU usage on playing 4K videos?

What is Microsoft Photos video codec with lowest CPU usage on playing 4K videos?: Hi, I'm searching for video codec or library for play video 4K with lowest CPU usage. Many program or video player ex: VLC, DirectShow, PVS and other using high CPU and sometime cannot play. But I test to open same video with Microsoft Photos CPU average is 1 ~ 3% and GPU...
  7. missing Codecs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    missing Codecs: I apparently have MISSING CODECS from my MEDIA PLAYER WINDOWS 10 that I didn't know were missing as I hardly ever play video on my LENOVO iDEA PAD 330. I discovered that the Codecs were missing when I couldn't play a video & I was informed thussly. How do I go about...
  8. missing videos & photos

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    missing videos & photos: how can I retrieve missing videos & lots of photos in windows 10? they are not in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-videos-photos/d6f4769f-e4e5-480f-99cd-405ac1ba4617
  9. Playing MP4 but Missing Codec 0x8007000e

Playing MP4 but Missing Codec 0x8007000e: Morning all This has been an intermittent issue on this installation. [img] It plays fine one minute but next time i'd get this. Also apps that need video or 3d display report that direct x is missing, whereas it wasn't at the beginning of the session. dxdiag reports no...
  10. Missing codec

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Missing codec: Trying to play a video that i took, this item was encoded in a format thats not supported how do i fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/missing-codec/3b6256e6-7522-472a-a347-8d49b3352d3c"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to delete video cannot be decoded on my pc