Windows 10: Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

Discus and support Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have installed witcher 3 on my win 8.1 after upgrade to win 10 10130 , the game work , but there is not ant difference in FPS !!!! my FPS in win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by specialkone, May 21, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

I have installed witcher 3 on my win 8.1
    after upgrade to win 10 10130 , the game work , but there is not ant difference in FPS !!!! my FPS in win 10 is exactly the same as win 8.1 !!!

so what is the benefit of directX12 !!

should we wait ?
    or there is any way to enable maximum power of dx12 ?

powerofviva, Jun 18, 2015
  2. Vladimir Win User

I feel an enourmous difference in gaming when I play them with CPU at 3.5 GHz (stock speed) and 4.5 GHz (OC). The same applies to GPU OC (1050/6000 stock - 1175/6800 OC).

~edit~

With DX12, tasks can be divided into different queues and can be scheduled independently. This will allow the use of completely different video cards in parallel.

*Smile

Vladimir, Jun 18, 2015
  3. *Sad so why for me is the same !!
    cpu usage is the same as win 8.1 !!

i installed the latest driver of nvidia for win 10 !!

is there any option to activate more CPU usage ?! *Huh

4. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

but when i playing the witcher , the cpu usage is 12-13% same as win 8.1 !!! and my FPS is the same as 8.1 !

whats wrong ?!

5. Fragment Win User
    GPU and CPU utilization do strongly depend on game engine optimization and also which of the two is your bottleneck.
    Can you give your specs? most importantly CPU and GPU.

If you have a strong processor then your GPU will be the bottleneck. What is your GPU utilization during the games?
    Because if that is about 90-100% then you are most probably GPU limited and you cant run it faster because the GPU doesn't have more juice.
    If you are having problems determining the GPU utilization just use a program like "gpushark" but it should also be possible with nvidia proprietary tools.

Also you can try to unpark CPU cores and enable the "high performance" power profile.
    Just google "unpark CPU cores" and you will find many methods.
    But I doubt that this is the problem here, at least for the unparking, because it is a per-core utilization you speak of i guess.
    So focus on making sure you dont have any CPU throttling enabled mainly!

Come back if you have some results.

And as for DX12. The thing is you have to differentiate between the new display driver model (WDDM 2.0) and the DX12 feature/tier group. For existing games the feature/tier group is mainly irrelevant because game designers have to adapt their code for the new functions to work.
    WDDM however will give you a FPS boost mainly on !! CPU bottlenecked systems !! because it reduces API overhead.
    But CPU bottleneck is not your problem obviously. Unless you have a malconfigured system and CPU is throttled manually by you. That's what I want you to check first.

I do for example get a 5% improvement in several 3D benchmarks, I didn't really try games so far because of my time being pretty scarce at the moment, at least when I am at home.
    But what I want to say is, if the 2-3 things I told you don't work you can install 3DMark from Futuremark and compare your system with similar systems to eliminate configuration issues and check if you're in the same performance range.

Also try comparing other games than only Witcher 3. Maybe it is a game related problem!

Fragment, Jun 19, 2015
  6. Thank u for your information
    I have Asus G75vx
    Cpu : i7-3630
    GPU: GTX 670 MX 3GB

i backed to win 8.1 , cause i found having the win 10 is not sufficient , the game developer should make their game optimized for win 10 . otherwise it doesn't take effect on FPS !

i think because of that i had the same FPS on win 8.1 and 10 , even my cPU usage was the same on win 8.1 and 10 ...

anyway , i gonna search for unpark CPU core that u mentioned earlier *Smile

thanks

powerofviva, Jun 19, 2015
  7. Fragment Win User
    np, np!

so your laptop has a strong CPU and a rather weak GPU.
    your CPU is almost as strong as a desktop i7 (4770k/4790k)
    but your GPU is weaker than many new low end cards now.

you really should check the GPU utilization. this information will help you understand the situation of being GPU bottlenecked.
    what i really can recommend you in general ( no matter if you use w8 or w10) is to disable GPU hungry features in game. those are mainly:

- shadows -> try reducing and see the FPS effects
    - msaa (multi sampling anti aliasing) -> you should disable this completely and instead use FXAA or SMAA if available
    - dont use any resolution downsampling (1440p, 4K) like AMD virtual super resolution or NVIDIA DSR

textures, post processing should be fine though because textures only affect VRAM and post processing affects CPU more than GPU.

also especially in witcher 3 you should disable the hairworks stuff. it just EATS up GPU performance.

try those and let me know.
    and dont forget to measure your GPU utilization somehow. this really should open up our eyes because i guess it will be nearly 100%

Fragment, Jun 19, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

I can see that Game Developers will indeed update new game releases for Windows 10 but I doubt they will for games already released.

9. Fragment Win User
    it is about adapting their game engine code to use the new dx12 feature levels.
    i do as well doubt that we will see special dx12 patches/upgrades for released games.
    but lately modern games most of the time use engines that have been used in previous titles so the code that has to be changed exists already. (see CoD franchise, or BF4 -> BFH)
    still if we are lucky we may see one or two dx12 mods/remastering popping up for triple A titles like witcher 3, gta 5, battlefield hardline. i guess it depends on the lifetime of the game support by the company it concerns.
    for example the Mantle API was introduced to Battlefield 4 via a game update. that means: never give up hope *Smile

Fragment, Jun 19, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    Yes I play COD AW on Win 10 and it plays great. Maybe Activision will update Games back to Maybe Ghosts but any prior to that I doubt.

11. Fragment Win User
    Did you experience an FPS increase from Windows 7 with CoD AW? Or didn't you play it on 7
    Because I only played it on 10 and I was considering trying it out on 7 because it is the only game that appears to be performing not up to my expectations so far. Maybe I have malconfigured something though ...

Fragment, Jun 19, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    I does play better on Win 10 than in Win 7. You have to watch how you set your video settings. I do not let Geforce Experience set them for this game But you use an AMD card so I don't know. I can find my settings and post them if you like?

13. Fragment Win User

No thats nice, but it's ok. The info that it runs better on Win10 for you is enough for me.
    I will need to check the settings optimum for AMD then. I didnt invest too much time in it.
    It was just a WDDM 2.0 test I did with build 10041 some time and some fresh AMD drivers.
    Maybe things changed until now.

Fragment, Jun 20, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    I have found that MW3 plays better on Win 10 as well. So does Cod4 but Black OPs will install but without sound during game play. Strange..I did not bother to install any other games.

15. If you look at this end of life Nvidia driver analysis on Kepler cards you can understand why I am using Nvidia driver 347.25. The issue is not just performance. Some less than others but every one of Nvidia's latest drivers with my 770 SLI setup will eventually produce a Direct x error/driver stopped responding scenario and lock up. I play BF4 mostly. My hardware is running perfectly and it's not BF4 because on 347.25 and older drivers I can play forever without issues. Even on Nvidia's 353.06 "Kepler Fix" driver the issue remains, just not as frequent.

I refuse to change these cards which I paid $1,000 for not that long ago. So I'm locked into 347.25 or older drivers in order to play the games I have without issues. Can someone tell me if Windows 8.1 older drivers like 347.25 will perform just as well in Windows 10? Blackrose: I know you have Maxwell but I believe you mentioned you were using Windows 8.1 drivers in Windows 10. Not sure how 347.25 will work in the final release of Windows 10. Guess I'll have to wait and check the forums as I don't want to get locked into Nvidia's latest drivers if I upgrade to Windows 10. That's a deal breaker for me. If the older Windows 8.1 drivers don't perform as well in Windows 10 as they do in 8.1, I won't be moving to Windows 10.

The GTX 780 TI SLI - End of Life - Driver Performance Analysis

specialkone, Jul 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime? - Similar Threads - Latest Build Gamers

2. Latest windows 10 Build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest windows 10 Build: 12-17-2020 my computer did a download of Windows 10 version 2004 and version 20H2 - KB4592438, Build andSCREWED MY COMPUTER UP. BEWARE!!!!!! It has taken me most of TODAY to finally get my system to go back to the last build 1909.WHY?? Because the download had me running so...
  3. Build 19041 Version 20H1: There is said to be something in this build for gamers...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Build 19041 Version 20H1: There is said to be something in this build for gamers...: For further information, please refer to: https://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-enable-hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-on-windows-10-may-2020-update...
  4. Windows 10 gamer edition ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 gamer edition ?: it's true microsoft is going to release a windows 10 edition specifically designed for pc gamers? if yes when microsoft is going to release it?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-gamer-edition/b4a9a343-d40f-47ea-9074-3e2bdfbb1c93
  5. Windows 10 1803 Latest Build

Windows 10 1803 Latest Build: Hi There: Where can i download the latest Media Creation Tool for the above subject? Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1803-latest-build/afdaba25-9abb-46e0-8585-7249496bfb46
  6. Windows 10 Latest build (1809)

Windows 10 Latest build (1809): I am chasing up to get the latest windows 10 build. When i can expect the updated release for download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-latest-build-1809/615e825d-d927-4f00-93cf-cb6a7fcb95b5
  7. Windows 10 1803 Latest Build

Windows 10 1803 Latest Build: Hi There: Where can i download the latest Media Creation Tool for the above subject? Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-1803-latest-build/79e0b9e7-3d13-4b6c-8454-4b653df9805b
  8. Windows 10 Latest Build Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Latest Build Problem: Hi there. Yesterday , i have upgraded my windows 10 pro to latest build 10586 using windows update. after upgrading something changed in my start menu which i dont like , and i want to bring it back . now , when i right-click on my start menu , it shows a black...
  9. Windows 10 Build 9855 Ready for Testing

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 9855 Ready for Testing: Microsoft has already shipped Windows 10 Preview build 9841 to users, but the company continues work on new versions that should be released for everyone in the coming weeks and months. Windows 10 build 9855 has recently been spotted online, confirming that a new testing...
  10. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?: Windows 10 has been available to the public for six months this week. By the numbers, it's been a hit, with 200 million active users as of the first of the year. Here's Ed Bott's midterm report card. Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public six months ago this week...