Windows 10: Windows 10 latest update black screen issue

Discus and support Windows 10 latest update black screen issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there. I have an Inspiron 15 3000 Series laptop. It's the default system, no added anything else. I got a notification from MS saying that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EvanPurcell, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Windows 10 latest update black screen issue

Hello there. I have an Inspiron 15 3000 Series laptop. It's the default system, no added anything else.

I got a notification from MS saying that my current OS would not be supported in the future, please update to the latest OS to be supported in the future. When I did this it had a very short update period and started up fine. Later on, it insisted I wasn't fully updated, please restart/update again. Doing this it finally went into a long period of actually updating the OS.

That one does actually seem to have done something, but when I tried to actually interact after it updated I constantly get a black screen. I tried some of the support options for this, hitting the f8 button when starting up does nothing. I think it's to do with the laptop settings for this one. F12 is the only button that does anything when you're starting up. It gives me the options of:

UEFI BOOT:

Windows Boot Manager

Other Options:

BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

SupportAssist OS Recovery

Change Boot Mode Settings

I haven't investigated all of these options, but a lot of them claim before you use to 'really know what you are doing' before selecting them or relate to just clearing the hdd entirely. I'm not quite at that point to decide it really needs this or that to be done, just guesses.

My best guess so far is that maybe it's a graphics issue and that there might be a way to get an update and put it on a thumb drive and switch the startup process to start through the thumb drive. I think I've done that with my desktop previously, but I don't know how to do it for this laptop.

When I do let the computer progress past the Dell start-up options bit of it it does get to the Windows 10 login and automatically logs in I have it set to do that. The time that it spends on the screen to allow me to do anything varies a bit, but most of the time it isn't very long at all.

I've tried doing some recommendations around that time. Opening explorer.exe through the find menu on the task manager I'm not sure what happened as directly I did that the screen went to black. I also tried to go to processes and restarting explorer. Sometimes explorer would show up and sometimes it wouldn't. The only option it gave me was to end the process, not restart it.

I also tried the recommendation to try to shut down directly as the computer reached the login screen for Windows and to do that three times in a row. Either it's very exacting for the time to do that in or I did it and nothing happened to allow me access to Safe Mode.

That would be the overall goal for now with that, being able to get to safe mode with networking so I can update drivers or try other methods, etc.

One time I just let my laptop sit for a long period of time after it had gotten past the Windows login part and was already on the black screen. When this happened I had assumed that the issue was fixed to find out that after I shutdown and tried to restart today that the issue had never gone away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)

EvanPurcell, Oct 18, 2020

2. Black screen issue on Windows 10.

Hi Preet,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did you install any third party security application?
    • Does the black screen goes automatically after a period of time?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to refer to the article provided below and c heck if that helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Black screen after installing latest KB3105210 update

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with the installation of the update.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which was the latest update being installed?
    • Are you able to access desktop/ log-in screen?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message along with black screen?
    • Have you tried to boot the computer in to safe mode and check if the issue persists?

If black screen error occurs before sign-in or after sign-in, I suggest you to refer to the below link and check if it helps:

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information to assist you better.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Windows 10 latest update black screen issue

Issue with black screen, dual display, ATI Integrated GPU

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to go to device manager and disable the display drivers, check whether the issue persists or not.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      Device manager.
    • Click to expand Display adapters, right click the second adapter and click
      Disable.
    • Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists or not.
    • Repeat the same steps to disable the first display adapter and check if it helps.

If you find the issue is with anyone of the display adapters then, I suggest you to update the display drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for
    “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 latest update black screen issue

1. Windows 10 latest update black screen issue - Similar Threads - latest update black

2. Black Screen and slow login issue after Latest Cumulative update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen and slow login issue after Latest Cumulative update: Hello, we are experiencing a slow login issue on a different Surface Model running Windows 10 22H2. We found that when stopping the 'Readiness Service' and setting the startup type to 'disabled' and login process just goes quick. This is a good workaround for troubleshooting...
  3. Black Screen and slow login issue after Latest Cumulative update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen and slow login issue after Latest Cumulative update: Hello, we are experiencing a slow login issue on a different Surface Model running Windows 10 22H2. We found that when stopping the 'Readiness Service' and setting the startup type to 'disabled' and login process just goes quick. This is a good workaround for troubleshooting...
  4. Black Screen and slow login issue after Latest Cumulative update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black Screen After Latest Update

Black Screen After Latest Update: After installing the latest update not the most recent one, my HP laptop shut down and will not start again. All I get is a black screen. How can I restart Windows 10? Pat...
  6. Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen

Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen: Hello, i just got the popup for the latest windows windows update and went ahead to update it. I let it run and update, although when i came back, i was greeted by a grey, blank screen. I assumed it was part of the update procedure, but after 30 mintues, I resorted to...
  7. Black Screen After Latest Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen After Latest Update: I started the update to my Win10 Pro last night. The screen said it will take a long time (my words), so I went to bed expecting the latest to be fully installed and ready to go this morning. However, I now have a black screen. Occasionally, I will see my mouse cursor, and...
  8. Windows 10 black screen startup issue after installing latest patches

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 black screen startup issue after installing latest patches: Some Windows 10 devices may boot to a black screen when they are started for the first time after installing the latest updates for the systems. Microsoft acknowledged the issue on June 14, 2019. Client and server editions of Windows 10 are affected by the issue according to...
  9. Black screen after latest update

Black screen after latest update: After i install the latest update. It was fine but next time i open my pc i got black screen and a window pop up saying personalize setting not responding please help....
  10. Windows 10 Black Loading Screen After Latest Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Black Loading Screen After Latest Update: Hello, So yesterday I went to shut down my computer when Windows only gave me the option "Update & Shut Down" so I gave in and let it do its thing and update. I left it to update over night and came back this morning to a black loading screen with a little spiral spinning...