Windows 10: WINDOWS 10 latest updates takes long to update and requires several reboots

Discus and support WINDOWS 10 latest updates takes long to update and requires several reboots in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am using WINDOWS 10 enterprise, machines are high spec and the fibre speed is great. Machines are running on WINDOWS 10 ver 1809 , I am updating the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Just Ez, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Just Ez Win User

WINDOWS 10 latest updates takes long to update and requires several reboots

I am using WINDOWS 10 enterprise, machines are high spec and the fibre speed is great. Machines are running on WINDOWS 10 ver 1809 , I am updating the machines and they are constantly running updates , some taking long and some extremely long. Some of the machines are prompting to update to 1903 and those take at least two hours to run.

I read somewhere the updates for 1809 are release in stages by Microsoft, is this the case and does it apply to 1903 as well.

Any information about what I can expect will be appreciated.

:)

Just Ez, Jun 23, 2019

2. Microsoft Decreasing Windows 10 Updates Downtime in Fall Creators Update

If you're a standard Windows user, you probably find Windows updates something of a pain - especially when they force you to reboot your PC after they're installed. But imagine you own a business that constantly has its machines up and running, but also requires the latest security upgrades; each minute of downtime for installing such updates is lost revenue. Because of that issue, which companies brought to Microsoft's attention over the years, the company is streamlining its update process, decreasing the amount of update steps that need to be taken offline (which means less time waiting for the machines to become available to use following an update.)

WINDOWS 10 latest updates takes long to update and requires several reboots xS3v6SsY1Oth1GTi_thm.jpg

WINDOWS 10 latest updates takes long to update and requires several reboots rb329X0kNSIMR51b_thm.jpg

WINDOWS 10 latest updates takes long to update and requires several reboots kef8qVLYFSTGu48s_thm.jpg

Usually, in updating your Windows system, there are two phases: an "online" phase, in which your PC automatically checks for new updates and actively downloads required system files while allowing you to keep using the computer for various tasks. The second "offline" phase is where the bulk of the work occurs during the update process, and doesn't allow the user to make use of the machine while this process is taking place (read reboot update sequences, for instance.) With Microsoft's latest streamlining process, two steps that previously took place during the "offline" phase will migrate to the online phase. Namely, 1) user content (apps/settings/configurations) back-up and the laying down of new OS files (Windows Image [WIM] process.)

Microsoft's Jason Howard, in a blog post for the upcoming Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, said that "By moving the old offline portions of the upgrade process to the online phase, upgrades will appear to take longer if you're watching or timing the progress. We didn't want to sacrifice usability for offline time so the upgrade processes are run at a lower priority to provide for best performance."

Sources: Microsoft Feedback Hub, Via HotHardware

Raevenlord, Jun 23, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Jun 23, 2019
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

1. WINDOWS 10 latest updates takes long to update and requires several reboots - Similar Threads - latest updates takes

2. If server is rebooting and applying updates and taking long time and I reboot the firewall...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If server is rebooting and applying updates and taking long time and I reboot the firewall...: If server is rebooting and applying updates and taking long time and I reboot the firewall that should not impact server reboot process, correct? Server is on:...
  3. If server is rebooting and applying updates and taking long time and I reboot the firewall...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If server is rebooting and applying updates and taking long time and I reboot the firewall...: If server is rebooting and applying updates and taking long time and I reboot the firewall that should not impact server reboot process, correct? Server is on:...
  4. If server is rebooting and applying updates and taking long time and I reboot the firewall...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update takes too long.

Update takes too long.: 2022-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems KB5014666 takes way too much time than usual. I mean what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? I don't understand why people even use windows. so much disaster operating system. We can't waste an...
  6. Update taking so long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update taking so long: I started the whole process like an hour ago and it’s at 18%. I need to get my school work done for today and i would really appreciate info of why it’s taking so long and if there’s anyway to make it faster. Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/iLovePotatoes__ [link]...
  7. Update taking obscenely long

Update taking obscenely long: Hi, I am having a few issues with Windows Update. My system is a relatively powerful HP Pavilion Laptop running a Windows/Linux dual boot. The first problem came when I decided to reset the Windows partition. That ran overnight by the way, change the default theme color....
  8. Windows 10 takes really long to reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 takes really long to reboot: Hello, I have a problem with windows 10 rebooting. It takes 15-25 minutes for windows to load. After it loads, the PC is fast and I don't have any problems. If I shutdown the PC and then power it back on with fast startup enabled it takes only 2-5 seconds for windows 10 to...
  9. Windows Update - Taking long time

Windows Update - Taking long time: Today, I have got the notification that your system is downloaded and ready to update latest version... Restart is required? I have agreed and clicked the Restart button. to my surprise - it took 03 hrs 45 mins to update the latest update..... I am not happy they way it...
  10. Windows 10 update is taking so long

Windows 10 update is taking so long: My computer is updating from win 7 to win 10 And its taking 10 hours also its freeze at 75% for 3 hours now.....is it normal or is it bad?(sorry for my bad english though :P)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft windows takes too long to reboot after update 1903