Windows 10: windows 10 let me select external drive to back up

Discus and support windows 10 let me select external drive to back up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm currently backing up to C: drive but want to change to my external hard drive. Despite the system reading from it and writing to it with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KateShillibeer, May 29, 2020.

1. windows 10 let me select external drive to back up

I'm currently backing up to C: drive but want to change to my external hard drive. Despite the system reading from it and writing to it with no difficulty when I try to add the drive as the location of my back up I get a message saying the location can't be used to save my files. I desperately need to back up to fix another windows problems. Please help asap. Thank you

:)

KateShillibeer, May 29, 2020
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, May 29, 2020
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Hi,

Your External Hard Drive might not have been configured correctly on your Windows 10 PC.

We suggest that you update the device driver. You can do that by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select
      it from the list of results.

• Expand the category where your device is located (Disk Drives), then right-click on the name of your device, and select Update Driver Software.

• Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If updating the device driver doesn't work, we suggest that you reinstall the driver:

• Open Device Manager.

• Right-click on the name of the device.

• Select Uninstall.

• Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, May 29, 2020
  4. windows 10 let me select external drive to back up

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, May 29, 2020
Thema:

windows 10 let me select external drive to back up

1. windows 10 let me select external drive to back up - Similar Threads - let select external

2. Backing up to an External Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up to an External Drive: Now that Windows 10 and 11 won't do a good backup to an external drive, if you don't want to use any Cloud, does anyone have a good way to back up system, programs, and files to an external hard drive? I have both....
  3. Backing up to an External Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up to an External Drive: Now that Windows 10 and 11 won't do a good backup to an external drive, if you don't want to use any Cloud, does anyone have a good way to back up system, programs, and files to an external hard drive? I have both....
  4. Backing up to an External Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. No Windows back up to external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Windows back up to external hard drive?: I just downloaded Windows 11. I thought I would hate it but it is actually quite nice! I use an external hard drive for my back up and do not want to use OneDrive but even though I have read several instructions on how, my page does not have all that the others do? All I have...
  6. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  7. windows 10 won't let me select external drive to back up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 won't let me select external drive to back up: I'm currently backing up to C: drive but want to change to my external hard drive. Despite the system reading from it and writing to it with no difficulty when I try to add the drive as the location of my back up I get a message saying the location can't be used to save my...
  8. Windows 10 And Backing Up to an External Drive On A Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 And Backing Up to an External Drive On A Laptop: When is Windows going to be configured to recognize that most of us are now using laptops which by definition are portable and therefore we don't leave an external hard drive for backing up constantly attached? I had a Western Digital Passport which had software that...
  9. windows 10 back up to an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 back up to an external drive: I am new to windows 10, how do I do a backup of files to an external drive? And, how do I do a "scan image" to an external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-back-up-to-an-external-drive/7404afed-03cb-4464-94bc-d97e14fb03e9"
  10. Backing up to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up to external drive: I use Windows backup and backup to external drive. It was getting full. Could that be why after last backup - backup size dropped from 570 GB to 380 GB? Otherwise backup seemed normal....