Windows 10: Windows 10 - letter assignment

Discus and support Windows 10 - letter assignment in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've had an issue since fresh reinstallation of Windows 10 (1809). When it booted up, the SSD with OS was obviously C and the installation USB was D.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Maciej Wojnar, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - letter assignment

I've had an issue since fresh reinstallation of Windows 10 (1809). When it booted up, the SSD with OS was obviously C and the installation USB was D. Then, I cleaned the USB using diskpart, assigned letter D to my HDD, which was not formatted before and letter E to my external HDD. Now, when I plug in any USB device except for the external HDD, Windows remounts all drives, assigning letter D to the USB and something available to the internal HDD. Can I somehow reset it to force letter D to the internal HDD? Thanks in advance.

:)

Maciej Wojnar, Jan 21, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 21, 2019
  3. Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space

Hello Sjoerd,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The reason the drive letters are not available to assign are because they might have been assigned to devices which are removed or hidden. I suggest you to check for any hidden devices and remove them to assign the missing drive letters.

Follow the steps mentioned below to check for the hidden or removed devices.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit enter.
    3. Click on the view tab at the top left hand corner.
    4. Now select View hidden devices.
    5. Now look for the hidden devices under storage volumes and
      portable devices.
    6. Right click on the hidden devices and click on
      uninstall
    7. Restart the PC.

After restarting the PC, try assigning the drive letter to the unallocated drive and check if the drive letters D, E, F, G, and H appears.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 21, 2019
  4. Hitman Win User

Windows 10 - letter assignment

Windows 10 formatting ?

Hello
    Man I must be a moron
    As you can see from the pic I am in disk management
    But where or how do I assign a drive letter
    I am looking threw
    File action view and help
    I am right clicking on it and do not see how to assign a drive letter.

So I guess this moron needs step by step :-(

Hitman, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - letter assignment

1. Windows 10 - letter assignment - Similar Threads - letter assignment

2. Drive letter assignments in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter assignments in Windows 11: Is there any way to freeze drive letter assignments for network mapped drives? I just setup a W11 machine and everytime I reboot, my card readers take over the F and G spots knocking me off the network. Is the only option to make the network drives higher/lower in the...
  3. Drive letter assignments in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter assignments in Windows 11: Is there any way to freeze drive letter assignments for network mapped drives? I just setup a W11 machine and everytime I reboot, my card readers take over the F and G spots knocking me off the network. Is the only option to make the network drives higher/lower in the...
  4. how do i fix when i plug in my USB and try to assign it a letter the option to "Change...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i fix when i plug in my USB and try to assign it a letter the option to "Change...: the option is grayed out when i try to press it, but when i right click on the name of the USB the option isn't grayed out but if i click it it says "The system cannot find the file specified" how do i fix this?...
  5. how do i fix when i plug in my USB and try to assign it a letter the option to "Change...

how do i fix when i plug in my USB and try to assign it a letter the option to "Change...: the option is grayed out when i try to press it, but when i right click on the name of the USB the option isn't grayed out but if i click it it says "The system cannot find the file specified" how do i fix this?...
  6. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...
  7. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...
  8. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

9. Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...
  10. Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option

Blue question mark on new SSD deive can not find" Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...