Windows 10: Windows 10 license for a virtual machine running on a NAS

Discus and support Windows 10 license for a virtual machine running on a NAS in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have a client who requires to run an instance of Windows 10 Pro for the single purpose of running a third party application. No user should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Alex_704, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Alex_704 Win User

Windows 10 license for a virtual machine running on a NAS

Hello,

I have a client who requires to run an instance of Windows 10 Pro for the single purpose of running a third party application. No user should ever access directly, except through the third party services. Only the administrator will need to access the instance in order to set it up.

I'd like to run the instance through the client's own QNAP NAS virtualisation app linux based, but I'm unsure of the exact license required for this use-case.

Would a windows 10 Pro license suffice? Or is it required to subscribe to Software Assurance or VDA & similar options through a certified Microsoft partner?

The preference would be toward a single payment, otherwise it will be more convenient to just buy a W10 mini pc to avoid the licensing issues and renewals.

It's kind of a waste having to buy new hardware just to run an application, though.

Cheers

:)

Alex_704, Aug 18, 2020
  2. RossDye88 Win User

Windows 10 on Virtual Machine

Hi

I have multiple PCs all running (licensed) Windows.

I have added a QNAP NAS, and would like to run a Windows 10 Pro Virtual Machine on the NAS.

a) Do I need to purchase a license for Win10 on this VM?

b) Where can I get an Win10 ISO image for installation

Thank you

Ross

RossDye88, Aug 18, 2020
  3. Robert_os Win User
    Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Aug 18, 2020
  4. Windows 10 license for a virtual machine running on a NAS

Licensing for a virtual machine

I have Windows 10 Home on my laptop. I want to setup a virtual Windows 10 PC for testing software, using Oracle's VM Virtual Box.

If this is running on the same machine, can I use the same license?

Al_Howarth, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 license for a virtual machine running on a NAS

1. Windows 10 license for a virtual machine running on a NAS - Similar Threads - license virtual machine

2. Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing: Hello,I contact becouse I have a doubt regarding a licensing scenario with Windows Server:Cluster with High Availability and without DRS rules-> 8 physical hosts of 36 cores each and 46 Windows Server Standard virtual machines of 8 virtual cores each:Option 1: Licensing of...
  3. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  4. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  5. license for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    license for virtual machine: I have a laptop with windows 10 pro installed/licensedI want to test some setups with docker, but do not want to break my private install/setup as I also use vmware and this is not compatible with dockerI downloaded the windows evaluation version virtual machine for vmware...
  6. Virtual Machine windows 10 Pro licensing

Virtual Machine windows 10 Pro licensing: Hi, I have a server that is running hyper-v 2016 core and i would like to run a few windows 10 Pro virtual machines. Do i use the standard licensing or is there a different way of licensing the machines? We are using Office 365 for our user accounts so can assign other...
  7. Windows license for multiple non-simultaneously run virtual machines

Windows license for multiple non-simultaneously run virtual machines: Hi, I have a windows 10 license for the guest running on VirtualBox. When doing software troubleshooting, I often find myself needing to clone the virtual machine for testing since I need to uninstall/install software for testing compatibilities. I do NOT need to...
  8. License For A Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    License For A Virtual Machine: I need to purchase a key not a digital license for windows 10 for using in a virtual machine, naturally i used the windows 7 key i had on the host i originally upgraded to windows 10, this will not activate, and im sure they dont allow this, i dont mind doing this the legal...
  9. Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine

Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine: Hello I've just built a server and set up a KVM hypervisor on it, and now I want to transfer a little-used mini PC with a Window 10 license to a VM. What implications are there? Can I just virtualize the machine and continue with the VM, since I have a licensed copy of...
  10. OEM licenses and virtual machines

OEM licenses and virtual machines: I just got a computer this week and activated the windows 10 pro OEM license on it. If I now want to install a type 1 hypervisor on the computer like vmshpere and put windows 10 pro and linux on it, will my windows license re-activate? It's the same computer and same...