Windows 10: Windows 10 license for VM on laptop

Discus and support Windows 10 license for VM on laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; What license should I use for Windows 10 to be allowed to use it on a virtual machine on my Linux laptop? I will be using it only locally, without any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by medzin, Sep 15, 2020.

1. medzin Win User

Windows 10 license for VM on laptop

What license should I use for Windows 10 to be allowed to use it on a virtual machine on my Linux laptop? I will be using it only locally, without any remote access. I just have to tests something from time to time. If I correctly understand OEM license assigned to the laptop is not enough.

:)

medzin, Sep 15, 2020
  2. Martmcd Win User

OEM license and VM activation

sorry, i wasn't clear

the host is the pc you have the VMs on, so the option was to leave windows 10 OEM on the laptop (as purchased) and put Ubuntu in a VM.

each device running windows 10 will need it's own license, if you are wanting two windows 10 VMs you will need two licenses.

Martmcd, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization.

I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur
    1. I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license
      • Does it need to be a retail license?
      • Or can I a buy an OEM license? (I’ll always use the 2nd license for a virtual machine on the same PC but never run more then one VM at a time)
    2. If i wanted to create multiple VMs (gen-1 and gen-2) could I use that 2nd license each time? Again, assuming i'll never actually having more then one VM running at a time.
    3. And just curious: Does anyone know if MS simply recognizes 2 licenses both for the same PC? If I did a fresh reinstall in the future, would it make any difference which license i lthen used for the PC and which for the VM?

ComputerGeek, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Windows 10 license for VM on laptop

Licensing Windows 10 within VMs

I'm a developer, and I'm sorta paranoid, so all my computers run Linux in work mode. I have a HDD with an official install of W7 for gaming, but some of my customers need me into Windows. So the natural answer is a Virtual Machine.

• Can I buy a license of W10 and then install into a VM?
    • Or (better) upgrade one of my test VMs with an official license and begin to work with it?
    • Will I be able to run multiple instances of that VM (never simultaneous, just one instance each time, in my laptop when I'm out OR my desktop when I'm home)?
    I did my search about it, but I cannot find explicit clear answers, just some ppl (assumed Microsoft staff) saying yes, and some (assumed Ms staff too) saying no.

I also bought TWO "cheap" licenses of W10 in Amazon from a digital store, and the activation center denies them. I can live with it, because they were really cheap and I bought them as a test before spending real cash into an official license to see it not
    working.

VicençLozano, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 license for VM on laptop

1. Windows 10 license for VM on laptop - Similar Threads - license laptop

2. Problem with W11 license on laptop I bought?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with W11 license on laptop I bought?: I bought a used Dell Latitude 5590 laptop on ebay that came with Windows 11 RTM Professional Retail. I am concerned there might be a problem with the operating system, because I saw some to me red flags / unexpected results please see attached pictures: 1 wmic command does...
  3. Problem with W11 license on laptop I bought?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with W11 license on laptop I bought?: I bought a used Dell Latitude 5590 laptop on ebay that came with Windows 11 RTM Professional Retail. I am concerned there might be a problem with the operating system, because I saw some to me red flags / unexpected results please see attached pictures: 1 wmic command does...
  4. I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop

I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop: I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop, if i install windows 11 on my new pc and then log into my microsoft account do i still need to purchase license or will it go over from my laptop? because im planning on buying new pc and selling laptop away because i dont really need...
  5. I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop: I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop, if i install windows 11 on my new pc and then log into my microsoft account do i still need to purchase license or will it go over from my laptop? because im planning on buying new pc and selling laptop away because i dont really need...
  6. Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset: I have a digital entitlement license which I obtained after I upgraded form Win8.1 licensed with a key to Win10 and later to Win11.Everything was running smoothly until a windows update totally broke the status bar on my Windows 11.I tried a few restores but they throw BSOD...
  7. Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset

Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset: I have a digital entitlement license which I obtained after I upgraded form Win8.1 licensed with a key to Win10 and later to Win11.Everything was running smoothly until a windows update totally broke the status bar on my Windows 11.I tried a few restores but they throw BSOD...
  8. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  9. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  10. Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...

Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...: License Activation slui.exe failed with the following error code:hr=0xC004F074Command-line...