Windows 10: Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license?

Discus and support Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased a Dell PC 2 years ago with a Windows license, but as always I immediately reblasted with Linux (I am a linux admin). My plan, as many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tod Sandman, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license?

I purchased a Dell PC 2 years ago with a Windows license, but as always I immediately reblasted with Linux (I am a linux admin). My plan, as many times before, was to have the Windows license in case I needed it at some point - for instance, to create a Windows virtual machine to run some program not available on Linux. I noticed the order came with no license key mentioned anyway. Googling, it seems I may have an OEM version of Windows that is, well quite useless. How can I tell for sure? Attached is my Dell parts list.

Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license? 795e809f-5731-44c2-a567-009da439f552?upload=true.jpg

:)

Tod Sandman, Sep 19, 2018
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Sep 19, 2018
  3. John Ado Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Retail or OEM or Volume License

Hi Raju,

This is an interesting topic. If the last three letters of your Product ID ends with
    OEM, then your license was issued by manufacturer. These type of licenses cannot be transferred to another computer because it is tied up with the device itself. Otherwise, if it doesn't end with OEM, your copy of Windows is from a retail merchant.
    These licenses can be transferred to another computer. Unless your device was issued by your company, or from an organization, then it could have been activated under Volume licensing.

To be sure, check the type of license you that you have by following these steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type slmgr -dli and press Enter.
    • It will show you a pop up box telling you what type of license you are using.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

John Ado, Sep 19, 2018
  4. Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license?

Oem and retail license

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.
    If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software
    to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software.
    Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Andre for Directly, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license?

1. Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license? - Similar Threads - License tell full

2. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail: OK, I asked a similar question already.Basically, according to cmd's slmgr command, my windows key is on the retail channel.However we bought the computer a while ago, a year or so after windows 10 first released.I'm really confused, since it's telling me it's a retail copy,...
  3. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail: OK, I asked a similar question already.Basically, according to cmd's slmgr command, my windows key is on the retail channel.However we bought the computer a while ago, a year or so after windows 10 first released.I'm really confused, since it's telling me it's a retail copy,...
  4. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Is my license retail or OEM

Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  6. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  7. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  8. How to tell if my license is OEM or full ?

How to tell if my license is OEM or full ?: A few years back, I purchased a WIN 8 Pro license to grade my Dell laptop from WIN7 home to WIN 8 pro. Since WIN7 home came with the laptop, it was probably an OEM license. I want to retire the old Dell laptop. If my understanding is correct, I can move my WIN8 pro to my new...
  9. Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license

Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license: Is the Windows 10 USB product on the microsoft store an OEM license or a Retail license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-oem-license-or-retail-license/46f89348-83e1-42ae-9596-da45958257ca
  10. How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS)

in Windows 10 News
    How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS): [ATTACH] We all have heard about Windows Keys all the time. This Product Key activates Windows on your computer so you can use it without any limitation. There are multiple places from where you can buy a Windows key. It can [...] This post How to tell if Windows 10 license...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how many licenses do i have windows 10

2. do i have oem or retail windows 10