Windows 10: Windows 10 license not working after motherboard change

Discus and support Windows 10 license not working after motherboard change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my motherboard to a asus z390 motherboard. After upgrading the motherboard, I was able to boot back into windows and everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RetroToast, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Windows 10 license not working after motherboard change

I recently upgraded my motherboard to a asus z390 motherboard.

After upgrading the motherboard, I was able to boot back into windows and everything was running fine for a day. After that day, I booted up my pc, and windows says its not activated. I tried the troubleshooter but its not working.

:)

RetroToast, Dec 12, 2018
  2. harshsyd Win User

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Windows 10 license not working after motherboard change

Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 license not working after motherboard change

1. Windows 10 license not working after motherboard change - Similar Threads - license working motherboard

2. W10 license after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 license after motherboard change: Hi, a few days my motherboard stoped working so I had to buy a new one, afther setting it up and login in with my w10 account, W is asking for a key again, and whenever I try to use my Key, its says something like " you can not use this key in this device"...
  3. W10 license after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 license after motherboard change: Hi, a few days my motherboard stoped working so I had to buy a new one, afther setting it up and login in with my w10 account, W is asking for a key again, and whenever I try to use my Key, its says something like " you can not use this key in this device"...
  4. W10 license after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 10 refuses new license key after motherboard change

Windows 10 refuses new license key after motherboard change: Hello everyone,My situation is as follows:I upgraded both my motherboard and CPU this week. This lead to my Windows 10 Pro license not being valid anymore. If I remember correctly I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10, so I never really possessed a Windows 10 key to begin...
  6. Password not working after motherboard changed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password not working after motherboard changed: My laptop Lenovo X1E had a motherboard changed yesterday, and I haven't been able to log in to Windows 10. It recognizes me through facial recognition Welcome "user", but refused to sign in. It now returns " Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security...
  7. Cannot transfer Windows 10 "Retail" license after motherboard change.

Cannot transfer Windows 10 "Retail" license after motherboard change.: Hi. I had a "retail" Windows 7 license, had been using it for 7+ years. Years ago I converted it into Windows 10 via a free upgrade. My Microsoft account is linked with this free Windows 10 account. I do not have any product code or license code. DVD cover is lost, gone....
  8. License and changing motherboard

License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648
  9. Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards

Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards: Several years ago I purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Key that I no longer have. A year or so ago I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. I recently purchased a new motherboard. Before I went to install and swap my hardware over I was worried about not having the key anymore, so...
  10. Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.: Hello Community. I've recently experienced various PC issues with a previous Rig of mine and decided to put together a new and moved my Hard Drive over to the new motherboard. After further troubleshooting, BSODs, and Resetting the PC out of frustration to get a clean...