Windows 10: Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer

Discus and support Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Between now and April's end, I plan to either upgrade my existing computer (new graphics card and more ram) or purchase a new one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Juxtapose13, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer

Hello everyone,

Between now and April's end, I plan to either upgrade my existing computer (new graphics card and more ram) or purchase a new one (purchased hardware, built for me).

For my current computer, I did the free upgrade of my copy of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 years ago, and I'd like to confirm with both of the above options, will I be able to clean install Windows 10 and properly activate it, or would I need to purchase a new copy of Windows 10?

I've seen and heard different answers, but what I've pieced together is that if I simply upgrade a few pieces of hardware, then I may need to call Microsoft but it should still work. If I buy a new system (hardware that's assembled for me), I'd need to buy a new copy of Windows 10.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

:)

Juxtapose13, Feb 28, 2019
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Feb 28, 2019
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer

Windows 10 Hardware change

Technically, a new motherboard constitutes a new computer and if your current copy of Windows 10 was an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you need to buy a new W10 license. While the process may allow you to activate Windows 10 that was an upgrade, that does not make it legal to do so.

The current free Windows 10 program is only for people who currently have a legal copy of Window 7 or Windows 8.1 installed on their systems. And those upgrade licenses are NOT legally transferable to new computers.

If you purchased a full retail W10 license separately for your current computer and wish to install this W10 on this new computer, you can legally do that as long as you uninstalled it from the old computer.

Windows system builder licensing for personal use

The good new is, once you buy a new Windows 10 license, you can transfer it to a new computer as many times as you like. So this would be a one time purchase.

Bill_Bright, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer

1. Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer - Similar Threads - License Upgrades Computer

2. upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...: If I were to install Windows 10 or 11 directly from USB flash drive onto brand new motherboard CPU SSD combo, can I use my existing Windows 10 key?...
  3. upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...: If I were to install Windows 10 or 11 directly from USB flash drive onto brand new motherboard CPU SSD combo, can I use my existing Windows 10 key?...
  4. Windows 10 license to new computer fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 license to new computer fails: HelloI'm trying to activate a new windows 10 computer using a Microsoft digital account but having getting to the screen that shows my available licenses.These are the steps I'm taking.On the new computer I access the Windows ActivationSelect the " I changed hardware on this...
  5. Windows 10 license to new computer fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 license to new computer fails: HelloI'm trying to activate a new windows 10 computer using a Microsoft digital account but having getting to the screen that shows my available licenses.These are the steps I'm taking.On the new computer I access the Windows ActivationSelect the " I changed hardware on this...
  6. Windows 10 license to new computer fails

7. Upgrading Windows 7 license on HDD to Windows 10 license on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 7 license on HDD to Windows 10 license on new SSD: Hi, I have an old Toshiba PC with Windows 7 OEM and HDD. I plan to replace the HDD with an SSD and install Windows 10 21H1. I created the installation media with the Media Creation Tool on a USB stick from another computer of mine. What should I do to upgrade from a Windows 7...
  8. Upgrade Windows 7 License on HDD to Windows 10 License on new SSD

Upgrade Windows 7 License on HDD to Windows 10 License on new SSD: Hi, I have an old Toshiba PC with Windows 7 OEM and HDD. I plan to replace the HDD with an SSD and install Windows 10 21H1. I created the installation media with the Media Creation Tool on a USB stick from another computer of mine. What should I do to upgrade from a Windows 7...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer

Transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer: Hi, I have Windows 10 Pro which I got by updating for free from Windows 7 Professional, which I had bought on a disk. Sadly, that disk, together with the product key, were lost during the many times we had moved. Now, I am planning to buy a new computer, since this one...
  10. transfer windows 10 license to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer windows 10 license to new computer: help transfer windows 10 license to new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-license-to-new-computer/217de9f5-000b-490d-b048-89632d3fa8e4