Windows 10: Windows 10 limited internet access icon?

Discus and support Windows 10 limited internet access icon? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For as long as I've had my NUC, the LAN symbols have had the yellow limited internet access icon. My internet works fine thou, but the icon is kind of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Muyfa666, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Muyfa666 Win User

Windows 10 limited internet access icon?

For as long as I've had my NUC, the LAN symbols have had the yellow limited internet access icon. My internet works fine thou, but the icon is kind of bugging me.

Any hints on how to fix it? I tried re-installing, reboot router, use Windows own help fixes, to no avail. None of my other computers have this issue. I run Win10 1703.

:)

Muyfa666, Sep 24, 2017

2. window 10 Internet only availble though VPN

SInce installing Windows 10, I cannot access the internet unless (network connection states limited access, no internet) unless I connect to my VPN provider.

JeremyRowton, Sep 24, 2017
  3. KaMills Win User
    My internet connection has data limits. Can the Windows 10 download be scheduled or controlled by me?

My home internet connection has data limits. I have access at work to a fast connection without limits. Can the Windows 10 download be scheduled or controlled by me to avoid exceeding data limits?

KaMills, Sep 24, 2017
  4. Windows 10 limited internet access icon?

Hi Muyfa666

First I would try resetting Nics.

Unplug NUC, and hold power button for thirty seconds. Plug in, power on and test.

If that doesn't work I would head to NUC vendor site and get their driver for your adapter, either wired or wireless. Install it and see if that clears situation. If it does then there are additional steps you need to perform to stop Window Driver updates.

Have a restore point created before trying driver changes. If you use Imaging software it wouldn't hurt to have a fresh image. (Recommended)

You might also try a Windows Network reset. Start => Settings => Network and internet = scroll to bottom of right hand side. If you reset network you will "Forget" wireless passwords and you may need to "fix" any communication software you installed for things like VPN's.

Saw you said you tried re-installing. Was this Windows or specific drivers?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 25, 2017
  5. Muyfa666 Win User
    1. Unplug NUC, hold power button 30 sec - No difference.

2. No difference if I use MS native driver or Intels. Wifi does not have this issue - only cable lan.

3. Windows Network reset. No success. I tried it a couple of times.

I tried to re-install both Win drivers and Intel.

Muyfa666, Sep 25, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Try resetting your modem/router.....by using the reset button hidden on the back of the modem router. It's a tiny pin hole and inside that pin hole is the reset button. Use a paper clip and insert paper clip into the hole and press and hold down the reset button until the modem router reboots itself and then release.

Plankton, Sep 25, 2017
  7. This is one of those where the symptoms can be caused by loads of things. Whilst the suggestions around doing things with the router are valid, I'd prefer to start from the Operating System's side. In my experience, this is an issue with the Operating System not reporting the information about the connection accurately - the connection itself is functioning. As such, router restarts/resets will likely not change much (except if, by proxy, you end up changing the network identification). My favourite first thing to try is the following:

1. Open up Services (Ctrl + R and type services.msc).
    2. Look for Network Location Awareness and restart the service.

This usually resolves issues with the icon displaying the 'incorrect' status. Whether this will resolve the issue permanently, no promises. But will be interesting to see if it will sort it temporarily, at least.

If that has no effect, just confirm so and we'll look into something a bit more 'involved'.

maconnolly, Sep 25, 2017
  8. Muyfa666 Win User

Resetting the router does nothing. I even tried a different router. The Network Location Awareness service does not help either, sorry to say.

Muyfa666, Sep 27, 2017
  9. If you are game these commands should not impact your system but perform several resets.

Run the following four bolded commands. Use a Command Prompt(admin) or Powershell(admin)
    Do not key in info in brackets, there for your information.
    ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 27, 2017
  10. Muyfa666 Win User
    Still no difference, sorry to say.

Muyfa666, Oct 3, 2017
  11. Have you been to the Intel forums. If this is related to hardware then I would think others would have same problem. They may have even documented fix.

If it not hardware related but OS as previously by maconnolly then you could try and in place repair / upgrade. (there is also the Windows Reset with keep files, I'm just more comfortable with in place.)

I would back data up off machine. Good to have a backup in any case.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I would download media creation tool and windows fresh.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 3, 2017
  12. Muyfa666 Win User
    Due to a harddrive change, I did complete re-install of Win10. The problem stills persists after some reboots on a fresh install. I disabled the icon now since the internet actually works anyway. :-/

Muyfa666, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 limited internet access icon? - Similar Threads - limited internet access

2. Wifi connected icon instead of limited access icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi connected icon instead of limited access icon: Good afternoon,I have local Wifi not connected to internet, but I still want to see signal strength in status bar. Now I have to click on network status icon to see signal strength, because computer is not connected to internet.Is it possible to change rule ie in regedit for...
  3. Wifi connected icon instead of limited access icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi connected icon instead of limited access icon: Good afternoon,I have local Wifi not connected to internet, but I still want to see signal strength in status bar. Now I have to click on network status icon to see signal strength, because computer is not connected to internet.Is it possible to change rule ie in regedit for...
  4. Icon showing no internet yet there is internet access windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon showing no internet yet there is internet access windows 10: Hi, I'm running windows 10 and recently downloaded radmin vpn and connected to a server. Now my windows icon is showing that I have no internet access when in fact, I do. I have not noticed significant decrease in internet speed but I find the icon to be quite perplexing...
  5. Windows 10 updates with limited Internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 updates with limited Internet: I have a limited amount of internet I can use. But the sizes of updates of Windows 10 are very huge and I cannot download them in one go. Can someone tell me how to download the updates with limited internet. I cannot pause the updates in middle so that I can resume them...
  6. Windows 10 Limiting Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Limiting Internet Speed: Had this issue previously about a couple of months ago and solved it by doing "Network Reset" in the settings menu but now that doesn't work. Here's what I did: I flushed my DNS. I tried disabling and re-enabling my network drivers. I completely reset my network...
  7. Windows 10 Activation with limited internet access (Firewall).

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation with limited internet access (Firewall).: Short description: If I run slmgr -ato when using a direct connection to the internet the device is activated, if doing the same from the network with limited internet access activation fails. What sites/urls/ports must I allow to be able to activate Windows from our limited...
  8. Limited internet, Windows 10, IPv4 Connectivity No internet access.

Limited internet, Windows 10, IPv4 Connectivity No internet access.: Just moved to a new location, the WiFi is provided by the entire apartment complex, but you have to register and create a sign in and password with it. My WiFi on my laptop will come on for 15 to 20 minutes when it is turned on, but it turns to limited after that time until...
  9. Limited internet access but not

Limited internet access but not: Hi Guys, I'm having a look at my brother in laws computer which is windows 10 and I am coming up with a doozy of an issue for someone of my level. So he was unable to run Fifa15 and discovered that you need windows media player to run it. When using the add windows...
  10. Windows 10 Limited access/ No internet connection

Windows 10 Limited access/ No internet connection: Hello. Today, when i opened my PC i found out that i have "No internet connection". The last time i used it was last night, and it worked like a charm. The problem is from the software itself I guess because other devices seem to be working fine connected to the internet....