Windows 10: Windows 10 + Linux dual boot advise please!

Discus and support Windows 10 + Linux dual boot advise please! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, My Windows 10 is, at the moment, running smoothly on my 500Gb SSD. I played with Linux several years ago, and would like to do it again. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cornishman, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Windows 10 + Linux dual boot advise please!

Hi All,
    My Windows 10 is, at the moment, running smoothly on my 500Gb SSD.
    I played with Linux several years ago, and would like to do it again.
    I would like to install a Linux distro on my old internal 250Gb SSD.
    What is the best way to go about it?
    I have never had a dual boot system before.
    Shall I buy a SSD drive switch, so that I can turn off each drive as needed? (If that is possible?)
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    I

:)

Cornishman, Nov 3, 2015

2. USB with linux plugged in causes BSOD on WIndows 10

Thats not the best way to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux. Linux should be installed a local drive or partition. Learn more:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dual-boot-wind...

Andre Da Costa, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 3, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Windows 10 + Linux dual boot advise please!

You could disconnect the Windows drive and install Linux on the other. Then connect both drives and give boot priority to Windows from BIOS (set the windows disk first on the list). While in Windows, use a utility such as EasyBCD to add a boot entry for Linux. That's it.

Other method: Boot with Linux CD-ROM and install Linux on the second disk. It should create a boot entry for Windows in Grub. If you don't mind using Grub, you can boot to Linux or Windows from there and even make Windows default. I prefer Windows Boot Loader, so I would go for the first method.

spapakons, Nov 3, 2015
  5. Thanks!
    I'll take your advise and go for the first option.

Cornishman, Nov 3, 2015
  6. Up and running with a dual boot on Windows 10 and Linux Mint using EasyBCD.
    Thanks again!

Cornishman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 + Linux dual boot advise please!

1. Windows 10 + Linux dual boot advise please! - Similar Threads - Linux dual boot

2. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  3. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  4. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reset Windows 10 w/ Linux (dual boot)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reset Windows 10 w/ Linux (dual boot): I currently want to clean wipe all the data in my Windows partition without touching anything from my Ubuntu partition. I want to make sure that grub wont be messed up after I clean the Windows partition and Ive seen several posts that state that the boot loader screen (for...
  6. Dual boot with Arch Linux

Dual boot with Arch Linux: I have windows 10 installed on a 1tb ssd booting in UEFI BIOS mode. I want to install arch linux on a seperate 120gb ssd. Ive previously installed arch a few times so i’m familar with its installation. However, i cannot seem to find any clear information on how to be able to...
  7. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  8. Uninstall Linux dual boot

Uninstall Linux dual boot: Hello everyone ! I first want to mention thant english is not my first language, so, sorry if I make mistakes and am not clear enough ! I just received a second hand computer with windows10 and linux installed on it. The person I got it to told me it would be easy to get...
  9. Dual boot Windows with Linux

Dual boot Windows with Linux: Is there a tutorial here (I didn't find, so maybe in another place there's a good tutorial?) on how to be able to install both Linux and Windows 10 on my laptop's hard drive? So that when I restart my laptop I will be able to choose from either Windows 10 or Linux? I did...
  10. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...