Windows 10: Windows 10 loads default instead of user-modified profile wiping off all settings, files,...

Discus and support Windows 10 loads default instead of user-modified profile wiping off all settings, files,... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I repeatedly run into the “default user profile instead of my user settings” problem with Windows 10. When I log in onto my user profile on my Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Innarah, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Innarah Win User

Windows 10 loads default instead of user-modified profile wiping off all settings, files,...

I repeatedly run into the “default user profile instead of my user settings” problem with Windows 10. When I log in onto my user profile on my Win 10 computer, it logs into default user profile and all my settings in web browsers, office files and other software are gone! Microsoft told me to sign out or else I would lose all my documents. I repeatedly did and nothing changed. My documents are all gone and empty. So what is the problem and how to fix it quickly? Last time it happened I googled solution and quickly learned that this is pretty common problem for Windows 7, and the only fix is to

:)

Innarah, Sep 3, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Copy Customize Profile to Default Profile

The default user profile will be modified, all your customizations saved, if you use /generalize switch with Sysprep, and your answer file contains the following setting in settings pass Specialize:

<CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>

See this tutorial, Step 4.3: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 | Tutorials

Kari, Sep 3, 2021
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Windows 10 loads default instead of user-modified profile wiping off all settings, files,... :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Sep 3, 2021
  4. VinceB Win User

Windows 10 loads default instead of user-modified profile wiping off all settings, files,...

User Profile Service Service failed! User profile cannot be loaded.

Brink:
    I am using registry editor from command prompt. Drilled down to c:windows\system32\config inside the Load Hive dialog window. Have selected (checked box) the SAM file; clicking on Open opens error message that says:

SAM
    This file is in use.
    Enter a new name or close the file that's open in another program.

_______

I am at a loss, since I am not running any other program!

Any suggestions?

The SAM file is listed as being 64KB file size.

VinceB, Sep 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 loads default instead of user-modified profile wiping off all settings, files,... - Similar Threads - loads default instead

2. Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded": Hello, I ran into the "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded" issue suddenly when turning on my laptop. I was sent to the account sign in page and entered my account PIN, but I received the same message again. After that, I restarted my computer and then entered the PIN code again. I...
  3. Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded": Hello, I ran into the "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded" issue suddenly when turning on my laptop. I was sent to the account sign in page and entered my account PIN, but I received the same message again. After that, I restarted my computer and then entered the PIN code again. I...
  4. Do shared user profiles apps modify the apps for all other users?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do shared user profiles apps modify the apps for all other users?: So I'm using a PC with two different Microsoft user profiles and want to share apps between these users, so all of them can use the installed apps. My question is, if one user uses and modifies the app, does it modify it the same for all the other users or do these changes in...
  5. Monitor profile reset to Windows default instead of calibrated setting

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor profile reset to Windows default instead of calibrated setting: I have calibrated my BenQ monitor & want it as the Color Management default but Windows changes the default during start-up to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I change it back to my .icm calibration but Windows changes the default during start-up. What am I doing wrong to keep the...
  6. Copy Users Profile All Users and Default User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy Users Profile All Users and Default User: How to copy All Users and Default User from C drive to D drive?All Users and Default User seems to be shortcut icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-users-profile-all-users-and-default-user/e94bb39f-d648-4b2e-a930-a7aea4c158e2
  7. windows server 2012 loading default profile instead of administrator

windows server 2012 loading default profile instead of administrator: hiii there I have been trying to sort out this issue for the past 2 days, The problem is my servers admin account got crashed and loading default profile so I created a new temporary local admin account even its not loading up, i will share the screen shot below...
  8. Windows 10 user profile is not loading

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 user profile is not loading: windows 10 user profile is not loading, what do i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-user-profile-is-not-loading/55434e2f-ef51-44a9-94b6-e04d54f60876
  9. modify a poaming profile settings

modify a poaming profile settings: we have changed printers and the classrooms use roaming profiles. I need to know what the procedure is to change the printer in the profiles so I can make one change to the profile so the whole classroom gets the correct printer....
  10. Modify the temporary user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Modify the temporary user profile: Hi, Many family members and their children come to my house and use my laptop. However, several times, they have wrecked my personal user account. I have setup a local account for this matter, called Visitor. In the users folder, I renamed 'visitor' to 'visitor1', so...