Windows 10: Windows 10 local user desktop background website shortcuts missing

Discus and support Windows 10 local user desktop background website shortcuts missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Recently purchased HP Pavilion laptop. Have myself and one local user. I am the administrator. Somehow, my email address as administrator is my local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dar24, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Dar24 Win User

Windows 10 local user desktop background website shortcuts missing

Recently purchased HP Pavilion laptop. Have myself and one local user. I am the administrator. Somehow, my email address as administrator is my local users email address, being Microsoft. Needless to say Windows 10 is very confusing. I see my local user profile name, but I do not see my local user's email address listed under his name.

I created local user desktop with with chrome website shortcuts.. I am not using Microsoft Edge browser, using Chrome. I named and saved the theme. I've logged the local user on/off a few times, waited about 1/2 hr, sometimes the created desktop with the website icons would show. Other times, the generic desktop along with the generic background with the computer icons would show.

My desktop is fine.i see it listed but not local user.

I later logged on as local user. Clicked and opened the One Drive. Listed were all the local user websites and word documents I wanted for the local user desktop. To my amazement, I created shortcuts, including the desktop theme on this desktop. I've been shutting down, waiting awhile before logging on again to be sure the local user desktop I created was still there..it is.

Now I wonder by doing this procedure, will I always have the
    this created desktop? I still have one duplicate user, me, and one local user when logging on.

:)

Dar24, Jul 28, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 28, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jul 28, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Jul 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 local user desktop background website shortcuts missing - Similar Threads - local user desktop

2. Blue Background on App Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Background on App Desktop Shortcuts: The only way I have been able to figure out how to create app shortcuts so far with Windows 11 is to open the start menu, select "All Apps" in the top right, and drag the app to my desktop, except every time I do this there is a blue background behind the app I created a...
  3. Missing desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing desktop shortcuts: How can I reinstall desktop shortcuts. I turned on my Windows 10 Acer laptop today and they are all gone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-desktop-shortcuts/32fb34ad-9ec0-455c-bfe6-ac99f1ce483e
  4. website as a desktop shortcut

website as a desktop shortcut: like my friend i want my website as a desktop shortcut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/website-as-a-desktop-shortcut/16127ab1-f442-4562-9065-ca4fc7715da8
  5. Shortcut key to change desktop background

Shortcut key to change desktop background: There are a few threads about changing the desktop background. All of these claim there is no shortcut key. All the threads are locked, or I would add this query to an existing thread. Despite the claims to the contrary, I have many times accidentally changed the desktop...
  6. Desktop website shortcuts

Desktop website shortcuts: I have recently reset chrome due to a pesky pop up that wouldn't go away but unfortunately i forgot that most of the website shortcuts i created to the desktop only open to the default google search page now and some won't recreate at all, after doing some searching i found...
  7. Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop: Windows 10. Chrome browser. Can't seem to add website shortcut to the desktop. Search said to left click the icon to the left of the website address & pull it to the desktop, but left-clicking doesn't "grab" the icon....
  8. making website desktop shortcut on tablet

in Browsers and Email
    making website desktop shortcut on tablet: rca cambio w101 v2 w10, explorer asked about stuff before, was never sure of things I have couple of website dsktp shortcuts, but now cant figure out how to do it again. Something could be wrong, I'll be sending it back soon, but meantime..... 82778
  9. How to put shortcuts to websites on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to put shortcuts to websites on the desktop?: Does anyone know how to do this? With Internet Explorer you simply dragged the site icon in the title bar to the desktop, but I can't seem to do this with Edge.*Sad 11027
  10. Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a 'Desktop Background' Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid...