Windows 10: Windows 10 lock screen reverts to stock photo

Discus and support Windows 10 lock screen reverts to stock photo in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; OK, not a question - but I've been looking for an answer to the subject problem for a while, and thanks to another site that I've misplaced, I've found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by vincentfasano, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Windows 10 lock screen reverts to stock photo

OK, not a question - but I've been looking for an answer to the subject problem for a while, and thanks to another site that I've misplaced, I've found an answer. It may make the good folks at MS crazy that I'm screwing with their programming, but this is the only way I've been able to make it work. I don't claim this as universal, and the settings apply to my experience with two current builds (as of July 2019). As they say, YMMV.

1) MS stores the lock screen pics in the \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18...\ReadOnly folder.

2) Windows does not want us checking this folder, so when you get to the SystemData folder it will tell you you don't have rights to look any further.

3) at that point, you'll have to change permissions - security tab, take ownership, edit to include you, click Inherit to try to get the permissions to propagate to the child directories. Close the directories for the changes to take effect, then, if I haven't screwed up the description, you should be able to navigate down the the ReadOnly directory.

4) In the ReadOnly directory there should be several (in my cases, 3) folders. One of them contains the pic you had TRIED to set as the lock screen, in another there is the Windows Default pic.

5) In my case, the three folders did not inherit the necessary permissions to do anything with the pics, so you may have to repeat the security changes as in step 3

6) I try real hard not to screw up what Microsoft has created, so rather than delete the unwanted Windows Default pic, I just renamed the .jpg extension to something else, eg, .old. You should get a warning that by changing the extension the file cannot be read. That's ok.

7) I didn't have to change anything else - with that Windows Default pic renamed, my machines went to my desired pic in the existing folder at the next boot.

OK, one final disclaimer - I make NO claims to know anything. If someone with more knowledge than I (a very low bar) finds that I've screwed up something, or made a fatal error, please correct me.

I hope this helps someone - I've spent quite a bit of time looking for an answer that works, seeing posts about policy editing which don't apply to us "Home" users, or making changes to the registry, which I really try not to do.

Good luck!

vinny

:)

vincentfasano, Jul 11, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Lock screen photo

Hi,

To change the
    lock screen photo, follow these steps:

• Go to
      Settings.

• Choose
      Personalization.

• On the left side of the screen, click on
      Lock screen.

• In the
      Background, change it to
      Picture.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 11, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on Sign-in screen

As I said earlier, you can change that stock background to one of your own choosing. It doesn't fix the problem, but at least you get to see a photo you actually like.

4. RDrewD2 Win User

Windows 10 lock screen reverts to stock photo

How to delete photos in windows 10 lock screen themes

Len,

Just looked, and you're right, my custom .jpg photos that I've used as lock screens aren't in that folder, just the stock ones. If you want to delete your own photos from your settings/lock screen/"choose your picture" thumbnail options, then from that
    same screen just click browse, pick another picture from any of the C:/windows/web/screen folder pictures, and click "choose picture". That will remove the far right thumbnail picture, scoot the rest over, and add the new picture to the far
    left. Repeat that as many times as needed to drop the unwanted photo/photos off that list (because there are five thumbnails shown, you may have to do that five times if the picture you want to remove is the first one, far left.) If you do repeat that five
    times, you'll end up back with just the stock pictures displayed as lock screen options.

RDrewD2, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 lock screen reverts to stock photo

1. Windows 10 lock screen reverts to stock photo - Similar Threads - lock screen reverts

2. lock screen resets on restart but reverts on login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lock screen resets on restart but reverts on login: so i have a windows 10 computer and i recently changed my lockscreen to a picture of a games moon, and if i lock my account it shows up in the login screen, but if i reset my computer in anyway my lockscreen gets reset to the windows default, but it will set itself back to...
  3. lock screen resets on restart but reverts on login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lock screen resets on restart but reverts on login: so i have a windows 10 computer and i recently changed my lockscreen to a picture of a games moon, and if i lock my account it shows up in the login screen, but if i reset my computer in anyway my lockscreen gets reset to the windows default, but it will set itself back to...
  4. No lock screen photo in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No lock screen photo in Windows 11: I've just updated my laptop to Windows 11 and there is no lock screen photo just a black screen when I log in and type my PIN. When I tried to change the picture using any of Windows default wallpaper, it shows on the preview but when I lock my laptop and open it, it's still...
  5. No lock screen photo in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No lock screen photo in Windows 11: I've just updated my laptop to Windows 11 and there is no lock screen photo just a black screen when I log in and type my PIN. When I tried to change the picture using any of Windows default wallpaper, it shows on the preview but when I lock my laptop and open it, it's still...
  6. Screen saver settings in lock screen - windows live photo gallery keeps reverting to none

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen saver settings in lock screen - windows live photo gallery keeps reverting to none: Live photo gallery pictures keeps reverting to none. Works fine for a while then rebels. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver-settings-in-lock-screen-windows-live/3cfae0f5-34cf-494b-b557-ae779e633bca
  7. Windows 10 Home idle lock screen setting keeps reverting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Home idle lock screen setting keeps reverting: Hello, I have Windows 10 Home, and my desktop keeps going to the lock screen requiring me to type my password in after 15 minutes of idle time. I have already went to Start > Settings > System > Power and sleep, and changed the "When plugged in, turn off after" setting to...
  8. Windows 10: 'stock' photo viewer not scrolling photos on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: 'stock' photo viewer not scrolling photos on external hard drive: Looks like I'm one of the many people having issues with the new photo app in Windows 10 on PC. When we first bought these Dell computers the photo viewer worked like it was supposed to work. After an automatic update it stopped working properly. There are no scroll arrows to...
  9. Lock screen in win 10 stopped rotating stock photos

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock screen in win 10 stopped rotating stock photos: since the lastvwin 10 update windows stopped rotating pictures. Its stuck on the standard windows start with a handful of options. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-in-win-10-stopped-rotating-stock/224c043f-1e4a-492f-8339-7f23f7734dfc
  10. Lock Screen Photo

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Screen Photo: can anyone help me locate this photo. it was shown in my lock screen unfortunately i can not locate it anymore. your help is highly appreciated. thank you in advance! 35068