Windows 10: Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time

Discus and support Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hey there *Smile I was recently stuck on the .661 build of 20H2, facing 0x800f081f when trying to install the latest KB4592438. After trying the usual... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by FrozenLord, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time

Hey there *Smile

I was recently stuck on the .661 build of 20H2, facing 0x800f081f when trying to install the latest KB4592438.
    After trying the usual approaches, I did go with an In-Place Upgrade (alongside the script to keep my files).

While I am now on .685 and hopeful that newer updates will install just fine, I am now facing a different problem that has reared its head after the In-place upgrade.
    My logon screen is no longer asking for a password directly but instead shows the "Sign in" text below my account.
    When I click that text, it is asking me for the Microsoft account password - but it is doing so via the app / window that appears when first logging into a Microsoft account.
    Presumably, my Windows is no longer storing the account information and has only got the account name there, forcing me to go through this procedure at every login.
    Afaik, this app should only show up when logging into a Microsoft account for the first time.
    I can't screenshot the lockscreen, so I had to take photos.
    The lockscreen appears like this:
    Attachment 310877
    And the app shows up like this:
    Attachment 310876

As this seems quite odd to me, I would like to solve this issue.
    This happens at every login - regardless whether I have just powered on my pc or whether it was locked for 5 seconds.
    This leads me to believe that something wonky is going on with my local Microsoft account's settings.
    I tried checking with sfc and DISM but came up empty, and switching my login for this account to local and back to Microsoft account did not resolve the problem either.

The problem with this login is that it requires the pc to be online.
    Being offline (which is going to happen as it is a laptop) results in the app showing "You'll need the Internet for this" and refusing to proceed.

Has anyone faced a similar situation before?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

//UPDATE 14:43
    For some reason, my option for the pin-login is not availabe (even though I am not aware of any group policy entries that might affect it) and the list of login options does not show the password at all:

Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time [​IMG]

After going through some of the Settings-windows, I have come across the account protection asking me to setup my account for Windows Hello:

Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time [​IMG]

However, whenever I click "Set up", the Windows Account app opens and closes immediately after.

:)

FrozenLord, Dec 17, 2020
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time :(

Zakin, Dec 17, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Scrizz Win User

Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time

Windows 10

you don't have to use a Microsoft account....
    I know I'm not.

Scrizz, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time

1. Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time - Similar Threads - Lockscreen forces Microsoft

2. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forced to sign into Microsoft account: Updated laptop and now being forced to sign into an old Microsoft account which uses an old email which I can't access anymore the sign in screen doesn't give me the option to change to my new Microsoft account details and I can't log on to my laptop...
  3. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forced to sign into Microsoft account: Updated laptop and now being forced to sign into an old Microsoft account which uses an old email which I can't access anymore the sign in screen doesn't give me the option to change to my new Microsoft account details and I can't log on to my laptop...
  4. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Time and date on Lockscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time and date on Lockscreen: I want to move my time and date on my lockscreen to bottom left of the screen in windows 11.Can you find a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-and-date-on-lockscreen/3c9eedf9-1f9c-4f90-9690-dec2b387fc84
  6. Time and date on Lockscreen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Time and date on Lockscreen: I want to move my time and date on my lockscreen to bottom left of the screen in windows 11.Can you find a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-and-date-on-lockscreen/3c9eedf9-1f9c-4f90-9690-dec2b387fc84
  7. WIndows 10 Lockscreen not showing date and time

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows 10 Lockscreen not showing date and time: When I open my laptop from sleep mode, there is a 50% chance of the clock and date not appearing. Additionally, when this happens, the slideshow would not start.Things I've tried:- Restarting- sfc /scannow- Changing the background to spotlight or a single image- Turning off...
  8. Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Lockscreen forces Microsoft Account entry each time: Hey there *Smile I was recently stuck on the .661 build of 20H2, facing 0x800f081f when trying to install the latest KB4592438. After trying the usual approaches, I did go with an In-Place Upgrade (alongside the script to keep my files). While I am now on .685 and hopeful...
  9. Forced Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced Microsoft Account: Why do some new Windows 10 computers force you to create a Microsoft Account that you can then switch to a local afterwards? Why not just let people make a local account in the first place? This is such a waste of time considering most of my customers don't need it and do not...
  10. Lockscreen Display time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lockscreen Display time: How can I change the time setting for when the lock screen comes up in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/lockscreen-display-time/c3a20620-8f3a-4f1f-8be9-7cdd10b24bd0