Windows 10: Windows 10 Login: Admin Can't Unlock Standard User Account

Discus and support Windows 10 Login: Admin Can't Unlock Standard User Account in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm at a school in southern Washington where we have Windows 10 Enterprise on laptops for our students. Each laptop has 2 accounts with admin... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HumanJHawkins, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Login: Admin Can't Unlock Standard User Account

I'm at a school in southern Washington where we have Windows 10 Enterprise on laptops for our students. Each laptop has 2 accounts with admin privileges and one or more student accounts without.

Frequently, when a student closes their laptop lid (causing sleep or hibernation) and leaves, we will find that no one but that student can log into that computer. Even the admins seem to have no way of unlocking or taking over the computer.

We've had to reformat and reinstall to get around this when a student left the school, and periodically run into it when a student's laptop needs some sort of problem fixed... They drop their laptop off and use another one. But we then can't fix the one needing attention without pulling the student out of class to unlock it.

Detailed symptoms:

On the login screen, only the student's avatar is present. We don't even see the other logins. None of Alt-F4, Ctrl-alt-del, or Win-L does anything.

Shutdown is available. On Shutdown and boot up, instead of the student avatar, we sometimes see an "Unlock this PC" screen asking for a username and password. However, on entering an Admin username and password, we get the message "Only the user who locked the PC can unlock it."

We have made no changes to default settings around either locking or signing into the laptops.

Is there a fix for this problematic behavior?

Thanks.

:)

HumanJHawkins, Nov 9, 2018
  2. PANDIT G. Win User

Admin account locked

My admin account is locked don,t know how to unlock but have a standard user to login please suggest can I do something from normal user to unlock the admin account.

PANDIT G., Nov 9, 2018
  3. Ruz San Win User
    admin & standard user accounts

Hi Pub Fan,

You can create a new user account on your computer and set is as an administrator. Follow the steps provided on this

page
    . Once you have added a new administrator account, you can change the account type of the original user profile to standard. You can also remove the password for the original account using the new one. Here are the steps:

• Sign in to the new user account.
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user profile.
    • Select Change the password.
    • Without typing anything in the password fields, click on Change password.
    You will not lose any passwords for your internet sites after applying the changes.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Login: Admin Can't Unlock Standard User Account

User Account Control - Remove Standard User

Hello Alan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I'm extremely sorry for the inconvenience. I will help you regarding this.

I request you to login to built-in admin account and check if you are able to remove the standard user account.

Steps to Enable Built-In Administrator account.

• Press Windows key + X.

• Select Command prompt (Admin).

• Type “net user administrator /active:yes”.

• Once you’re done, you can access your built-in administrator account by logging off your current account anytime.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Login: Admin Can't Unlock Standard User Account

1. Windows 10 Login: Admin Can't Unlock Standard User Account - Similar Threads - Login Admin Can't

2. Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11: I have always used two accounts for personal computers using Windows since XP days, an admin account plus a standard user account and I always advise friends and family to do the same. I am very disappointed that computer manufacturers do not even suggest this for new...
  3. Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11: I have always used two accounts for personal computers using Windows since XP days, an admin account plus a standard user account and I always advise friends and family to do the same. I am very disappointed that computer manufacturers do not even suggest this for new...
  4. UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin: In our domain, user accounts are not Admins and Admin accounts have no access to the internet. Brilliant right? Except it makes it troublesome to install that software that requires both Admin rights AND internet access with the same account. My work-around for this has been...
  5. unlocking admin account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unlocking admin account: How can I unlock admin account that is protected by an organization https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unlocking-admin-account/2ca8d1ef-7a3b-4a28-a65e-1cadb6947b46
  6. Reset Admin password on a standard user account??

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset Admin password on a standard user account??: I bought a refurbished computer for my employer. It had a ADMIN account set up with no pass word associated with the account so I created one. I might have had a error in my pass word because I can no longer log into that account. I did create another account that I was...
  7. About accounts: Admin/Standard user?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    About accounts: Admin/Standard user?: I just did a clean install of W10 for a friend. I havent set up a fresh install of 10 and am familar with the structure of accounts in W7> So. Clarify for me the "rights" of accounts(that i set up) in W10 Do they have adminstrator rights? Plan was to set up and Admin account...
  8. Admin Password with Standard User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Password with Standard User: I don't know the admin password and I have a standard account! Can someone please help me?????????????!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-with-standard-user/69ab0540-cab7-4199-b339-04cb7d920478
  9. Unlock Bitlocker encrypted fixed drive in Standard user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unlock Bitlocker encrypted fixed drive in Standard user account: I have encrypted my fixed drive(non-OS drive) using manage-bde (with autounlock enabled) from Admin User account. After encryption is complete, then i switch user account to standard user account. But my fixed drive is still locked. Can you suggest why this is happening and...
  10. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?: After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account. Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cant unlock user

2. unlock account with a standard user account