Windows 10: Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files

Discus and support Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Recently my computer froze so I turned it off holding the power button down and then restarted it. It took awhile to come back on because it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SarahM5, Jan 15, 2019.

1. SarahM5 Win User

Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files

Hello,

Recently my computer froze so I turned it off holding the power button down and then restarted it. It took awhile to come back on because it said it was fixing Drive C. When it did come on and I typed my password in, it took a long time to open my desktop, saying it was preparing my desktop. It's version of 'my' desktop had reverted to a blue windows background and deleted several of my files, if not most. Nothing in downloads, videos, quick access, etc. Some stuff I'd had for awhile appeared if I searched for it. There was a blue box that said there was a problem connecting to my account, but that could be fixed if I signed out and then back in. I did. Three times. And no change. I tried a system restore to a point from the previous day, but that didn't work. I got a system error 0x80042329. I don't remember system restore ever working before, since I bought it, but I thought one of the updates might have fixed it and it was worth a shot. I'm trying to take a class and it's pretty frustrating to lose everything. Please help!

:)

SarahM5, Jan 15, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jan 15, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 15, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files

lost desktop and files

Hi Jon,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have lost files after Windows 10 update. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Did you face this issue after upgrading to Windows 10 from previous Windows?
    • Did you face this issue after updating in Windows 10?

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check if it helps finding your files.

After updating your PC to Windows 10, you may be having trouble finding your old files. Here are some things to try.

Refer: Find lost files after the update to Windows 10

Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files

1. Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files - Similar Threads - Lost Desktop Files

2. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  3. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  4. Lost icons on the desktop and file manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost icons on the desktop and file manager: As the figure showns below, on the desktop, the apps are functionally normal but the icons are missing. That also happens in the file manager. However, in the startup menu, the icons and tiles are normal. I have tried restarting my PC, "/scannow" on cmd which no issue is...
  5. Lost files on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost files on Desktop: Wednesday night I was out. A thunderstorm came through the area and knocked the power out. I had left my computer on and naturally it shut down. The next morning I restarted my computer and noticed that my background screen image had changed from the picture I used to the...
  6. Lost desktop files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost desktop files: Apparently there was a Windows 10 update that was pushed out. All my desktop files and internet shortcuts have been deleted. How/where can I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-files/20db6b24-3e67-4c01-9e32-a4a40e217f77
  7. File lost on Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File lost on Desktop: I was creating an image file (png) and I saved it to my desktop. I then went to send it to someone, realized I had forgotten something, then went in to edit it again. I received an error that I could not access the file due to not having permissions, despite being the...
  8. Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade: Hello, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 over 4 days ago. After windows 10 was up, all the folders/files in my desktop were moved somewhere. I did a file search and moved them back to the desktop. I was on a general user admin account. Shortly after, I logged into my...
  9. Lost file & Lost Administrator on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost file & Lost Administrator on Windows 10: Two issues today...1) I moved a file from one folder to another but when I went to the new location it was not there. It was not in the old folder or any of the other document folders. I, also, checked the recycle just in case and it was not there. File search does not find...
  10. Lost Desktop Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Desktop Files: I'm worried I may have done something very stupid. I just moved to another country and forgot my extra hard drive, so I didn't back up my files before upgrading to Windows 10. The installation went fine. After the install was done, I tested out a number of programs with no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 lost desktop

2. lost desktop files windows 10

3. windows 10 has apps on screen losy my files