Windows 10: Windows 10 lost its ability to install, no reason found

Discus and support Windows 10 lost its ability to install, no reason found in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old PC with Intel 915 graphics and an x86 processor. Early versions of Windows 10 installed and used a driver named something like Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Norman Diamond, May 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 lost its ability to install, no reason found

I have an old PC with Intel 915 graphics and an x86 processor. Early versions of Windows 10 installed and used a driver named something like Microsoft Basic Display Driver or something like that. Windows 10 was usable, and I don't need 3D or anything like that, but I disliked the driver setting the screen to 1280 x 1024 instead of the screen's native resolution of 1400 x 1050. So I went back to Windows 7. But now Windows 7 is unsupported, so I tried grading to Windows 10 again.

The installers for recent versions of Windows 10 warn that the display will have problems, which I already know. In Windows 7 Device Manager I disabled the two instances of Intel's 915 driver. In C:\Windows\Inf I renamed the associated .inf and .PNF files so that Windows will not automatically reinstall Intel's driver. Windows 7 now uses Microsoft's vgasave driver, with the unpleasant 1280 x 1024 resolution, but it works. Also I uninstalled Microsoft's Security Essentials which is incompatible with Windows 10.

Now when a recent Windows 10 installer reboots, it BSODs with IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, it reverts to Windows 7, and the error code is C1900101-20017. SetupDiag.exe finds no matching instance of any of the kinds of problems it checks for.

So, what is it about this PC that early versions of Windows 10 could run with an ugly display but recent versions of Windows 10 can't install at all?

:)

Norman Diamond, May 17, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 17, 2020
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, May 17, 2020
  4. Windows 10 lost its ability to install, no reason found

I have lost my wifi ability. My device manager has no network adapter listed.

I have lost my wifi ability.

My device manager has no network adapter listed.

It seems I am not alone in this predicament (thanks Windows 10!).

Any suggestions gratefully received

jeffery_939, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 lost its ability to install, no reason found

1. Windows 10 lost its ability to install, no reason found - Similar Threads - lost ability install

2. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost my search ability.: Lost my ability to search with the search bar. Defender anti virus turns off. Black DOS screens pop up durring boot. Machine acts strange, slow at times. Using W10 64 bit with latest updates. Error code OX 80070483....
  3. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my search ability.: Lost my ability to search with the search bar. Defender anti virus turns off. Black DOS screens pop up durring boot. Machine acts strange, slow at times. Using W10 64 bit with latest updates. Error code OX 80070483....
  4. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My laptop has completely lost the ability to detect networks on its own

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My laptop has completely lost the ability to detect networks on its own: Hello, I have had an issue discovering networks on my laptop. This has been going on for almost a year but I never posted a thread question here for whatever the reason. In any case, unless I'm connected to a phone with USB Tethering, my laptop shows a little globe in System...
  6. My laptop has completely lost the ability to detect networks on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop has completely lost the ability to detect networks on its own: Hello, I have had an issue discovering networks on my laptop. This has been going on for almost a year but I never posted a thread question here for whatever the reason. In any case, unless I'm connected to a phone with USB Tethering, my laptop shows a little globe in System...
  7. Windows Media Player lost its 4K HEVC playing ability

Windows Media Player lost its 4K HEVC playing ability: After updating to Windows 10 20H2, 4K video playback in Windows Media Player and some other applications stopped working. Media Player is not able to open it. Reinstalling HEVC paid extensions didn't help. Reinstalling Windows Media Player also didn't help. Movie & TV app can...
  8. hello marketing has microsoft lost its ability to supply quality of service?

hello marketing has microsoft lost its ability to supply quality of service?: Hello. I have a desktop machine because I am a home user that I see laptops are for buisness travel use. so i use windows 10 sometimes i cant stick to it Why should I tollerate a touchscreen behaviour when i use a mouse. when i click its not a finger mistake like a ****...
  9. Lost the ability to update Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost the ability to update Windows: There are a number of us in the Windows Insider Program that have lost the ability to update Windows. There are some variations on the theme but, basically, Win10 will download the package and say that there is an update that needs a reboot to install. The install/reboot...
  10. Lost ability to connect to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost ability to connect to the internet: I installed the latest update from Microsoft, the complete new version and now on one computer my internet connection says SECURED, Not Connected. It is a A6210, Netgear wireless USB3 device that I have on all the Windows computers. The A6210 works fine on any other computer...