Windows 10: Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep

Discus and support Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello!I'm creating a Windows 10 image that we'll be distributing and used for medical devices. I have the two answer files needed for the initial setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jon Arciaga, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep

Hello!I'm creating a Windows 10 image that we'll be distributing and used for medical devices. I have the two answer files needed for the initial setup of the users, partitions, and other settings. Everything works fine like how it did when we did it for Windows 7, but after Sysprep and shutting down for duplication of the hard drives, on start up right after Sysprep the Start Menu fails to work and so does Cortana. One thing we've noticed too is that over time of use, Windows tries to contact the Windows activation server and causes the OS to slow down dramatically which disables the use

:)

Jon Arciaga, Aug 10, 2021

2. Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank

Hello everyone,

I was following the Tenforums.com Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep guide, which I found to be an amazing guide.

My goal is to have a Windows 10 Pro x64 sysprep image from the Hyper-V VM, exactly as in the guide.

Anyways I had everything going smooth - I was about to Generalize the image and realized the Start Menu stopped returning results, instead just showing a blank search.

After some frustration and reluctance I went back to the checkpoint at the very beginning (as indicated in the guide). The Start Menu still showed up blank.

Reinstalled the VM in Hyper-V using different names and different VHD files but all resulted in the same error.

Created the VM in VMware Workstation 12 and and started the Sysprep process with Windows 10 in VMware. The Start Menu is still blank.

Uninstalled Hyper-V and reinstalled Hyper-V but that didn't help.

I've done the basic troubleshooting steps too:

• Reboot system (Host and Guest systems multiple times)
    • Verified service Windows Search is running (I restarted the service as well)
    • Rebuilt Index
    • Restarted Cortana and Windows Explorer
    • Re-registered Cortana

I've tried Googling my heart out to no avail. Couldn't even find an image with a similar problem. I've attached a snippet of the issue below.

Note: This is only in Audit Mode. When I let the Windows install complete, the Start Menu works again. I'll try completing the imaging process and load the Sysprep image and see if the Start Menu functionality comes back unless someone has a better idea or similar experience?

Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep [​IMG]

SeattleITguy, Aug 10, 2021
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Start menu and Cortana is not working in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• What are the steps you have followed to reset your PC?

• Do you get any error code or error message?
    I would suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft help article to resolve issues with start menu and cortana. Refer to the below link:

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Arul_D, Aug 10, 2021
  4. Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Aug 10, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep

1. Windows 10 LTSC Deployment; Start Menu and Cortana not working after Sysprep - Similar Threads - LTSC Deployment Start

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: When I select the Start Menu, the menu does not appear. Same with using the Windows button on keyboard. I cannot access the Start Menu. How do I correct this? Thank you....
  5. Start menu not working, Cortana not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu not working, Cortana not working.: I'm on Windows 10 and the following stopped working: Start menu Cortana Notifications on task bar Wifi connections list button on task bar Windows + I ( We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date) I...
  6. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  7. After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working: After resetting my Surface Pro 4, it's essentially non-functional. I can't bring up the Start Menu. I can't type anything in the Search Bar. Cortana doesn't work. If I do a Win+R ms-settings:, I get "Package could not be registered.". Edge does not open. I've done the...
  8. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  9. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...
  10. Can not get deployed Start menu to work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not get deployed Start menu to work: Hello. Long time listener, first time caller. I am having some troubles with deploying the start menu using a custom XML. I am setting up a master image to deploy over around 50 staff computers. I have got almost everything the way I want it. I have created the xml for the...