Windows 10: Windows 10 machine in sleep mode but there is network activity , why?

Discus and support Windows 10 machine in sleep mode but there is network activity , why? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. The computer is connected to the home network via a gigabit switch. I notice that when the computer is in sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportflyer, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Windows 10 machine in sleep mode but there is network activity , why?

I just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. The computer is connected to the home network via a gigabit switch. I notice that when the computer is in sleep mode ,there is still network activity but only the 10 mb/s connection LED is lit. When I had win7 OS and computer is in sleep mode , that same LED on the network switch would be off signifying no network activity at all .

Is this normal for Win 10 ?

:)

sportflyer, Nov 27, 2015

2. Computer doesn’t power down on Sleep.

The only solution I have found to keep the PC in sleep mode is to put my hard wired ethernet modem in
    stand-by mode before using the sleep command in Windows 10. The options for sleep mode settings in Windows 10 make no sense at all. All of the provided options for delayed activation of sleep mode cause a wake
    up within minutes of timed delay to activate sleep mode if the ethernet modem is left active.

Dan_White_14424, Nov 27, 2015
  3. heavy updates will never complete

Windows 10 had some major updates lately and specially the laptops or other battery backed machines are set, so those updates will never finish:

- after 10 or 20 minutes the machine will go to sleep, even if a download is still active!

- the power button is set for sleep mode, so the update cannot get installed

- the power button is set to "fast shut-down" so the update cannot get installed

How do you think a big update is ever going to install?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Klaus Wehrlin, Nov 27, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 machine in sleep mode but there is network activity , why?

Yes. The network adapter is powered on at 10 mbps so that it can receive a Wake On Lan signal if one is sent.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2015
  5. OK I realize this now. I didn't realize that upgrading to win 10 reset this feature back to On. After I turned off Wake on Lan , then the led is shut off. Tks

sportflyer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 machine in sleep mode but there is network activity , why?

1. Windows 10 machine in sleep mode but there is network activity , why? - Similar Threads - machine sleep mode

2. Why is my disk active light blinking while in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my disk active light blinking while in sleep mode?: My PC normally uses ~70 watts at idle. When I place it into sleep mode, it normally goes down to 0 watts. But sometimes, I come back to find that it is back to 125 watts by itself and the hard drive light is blinking. I turn on the monitor and there is no signal, so the OS is...
  3. Why is my disk active light blinking while in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my disk active light blinking while in sleep mode?: My PC normally uses ~70 watts at idle. When I place it into sleep mode, it normally goes down to 0 watts. But sometimes, I come back to find that it is back to 125 watts by itself and the hard drive light is blinking. I turn on the monitor and there is no signal, so the OS is...
  4. Why is my disk active light blinking while in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why is the Network button not showing when idle or in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Network button not showing when idle or in sleep mode?: After my computer went idle or in sleep mode, it not only disconnect my wifi I was connected to, but also removes the network button to even reconnect it. How do I fix this?...
  6. Why is the Network button not showing when idle or in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the Network button not showing when idle or in sleep mode?: After my computer went idle or in sleep mode, it not only disconnect my wifi I was connected to, but also removes the network button to even reconnect it. How do I fix this?...
  7. Why is the Network button not showing when idle or in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows 10 sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sleep mode: I recently built a new PC and I cannot seem to get it to wake up from sleep mode. I tried to disable fast startup, I turned hibernate off and on, I turned hybrid sleep off and on. I even changed the power settings to the usb in the motherboard bios. Does anyone else have any...
  9. Why does my Windows 10 pro machine have thee active networks listed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does my Windows 10 pro machine have thee active networks listed: I'm so confused. And I wonder if I might ask for some help understanding what I'm seeing and why. I just built a new Windows 10 pro machine from an ISO image. NO issues. It works fine. It pretty much builds itself. But when I look at my "View your basic Network...
  10. Windows 10 machine will not sleep automatically

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 machine will not sleep automatically: I've tried every step out there for trying to get my pc to sleep automatically.. nothing has worked. I've tried disabling network adapters.. i've tried looking at lastwake for powercfg and it usually shows 0, though /requests will show a remote file is accessing the...