Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use the following to access my mail (all using the Windows 10 mail app or Outlook for Android) Windows 10 Desktop Surface Go Samsung S9+ The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TopDownDriver, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping

I use the following to access my mail (all using the Windows 10 mail app or Outlook for Android)

Windows 10 Desktop

Surface Go

Samsung S9+

The problem is that each creates its own folders in Mail, and they are all called exactly the same thing.

Sent Items

Deleted Items

So, I have on each device 3 sets of folders called Sent Items and Deleted Items.

Now, somehow on my desktop, there is also Sent and Trash, which are a mirror of Sent Items and Deleted Items. These also show up on the other devices as well.

I can also assign mapping to these folders on the Outlook for Android app, but it does not appear that I can do this basic function on the Windows 10 Mail app.

In other words, mail is saving deleted and sent mails all over the place and I am trying to get a handle on how to control this. If I rename either of these folders, they are recreated by the mail app with the original name! I need to get ahold of this!

HELP!!!

Thanks

:)

TopDownDriver, Sep 5, 2018
  2. CeeBee Win User

Mail App - Cannot set up 'Other account POP, IMAP'

Hi, my first post on the forum - can someone help?

I can't see how to set up 'Other account POP, IMAP' in the Win 10 mail app - or rather I can see how to set up accounts and either the app is faulty or I must be missing something, because I've tried using the advanced settings as recommended in the Ten Forums tutorial on the mail app (Mail app - Add or Delete Account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) but I don't see anywhere to put the actual email address for the account I'm trying to set up.

Likewise if I do it step by step setup from the 'Other account POP, IMAP' link in setup although I can put the email address in this eventually gets overwritten by my username when setup is finished - I have my own domain and my hosts username format is totally different to my email address - e.g. the mail format would be 'someone@mydomain.com' whilst the username would be in the format 'mydomain.com_someone' - the app appears to assume that mail address and username are going to be the same as when setup is completed the app shows my username as my email address. I've set up an ActiveSync account fine but I'm stumped on setting my personal mailbox up.

I'm probably being stupid, but any help/advice please? Thanks.

CeeBee, Sep 5, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Mail App not using correct IMAP sent folder

Hi there,

I'm trying to use the included Mail/Calendar app with an IMAP account. While setting things up isn't a problem at all, there is a really annoying bug. It seems that the App isn't using the correct folders already present on the IMAP server:

My mailbox is configured using the standard IMAP folders:

• INBOX
    • INBOX.Drafts
    • INBOX.Sent
    • INBOX.Junk
    • INBOX.Trash
    This config used to work with Thunderbird, and also my Android Phone haves no problem using it.

Now, after setting up my mailbox using IMAP in Windows 10 Mail app it seems like the app is not using the right folders:

• Sent mail is stored within "Sent Items", instead of INBOX.Sent
    • It seems that drafts aren't syncing at all - at least a created draft isn't showing up in the IMAP folders
    Haven't collected more samples now for junk and trash, but there might be a problem with these as well. However, my biggest problem at the moment is the "Sent" issue...

So, what to do now?

It seems like the app isn't offering any option to config a proper IMAP folder mapping. The auto mapping isn't working correctly. Any workarounds? Registry hacks? Whatever?

Really crazy. IMAP folder mapping was possible in older versions of Outlook (e.g. 2010) and also Mozilla Thunderbird is offering such an option. Is it really true that the brand new Windows 10 calendar app lacks this basic functionality? To me it seems that
    simplicity ("lets keep the UI simple, because we want also monkeys to be able to configure it") overrules functionality? Crazy...

Any hacks or workarounds? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Martin

This is totally annoying.

Ohcomeonwhatacrapisthisnamepicking, Sep 5, 2018
  4. city Win User

Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping

Mail App - Cannot set up 'Other account POP, IMAP'

It seams now that it is working, since this week an update rollup for Windows 10 is available. Now there is a field for setting the email address.

city, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping

1. Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping - Similar Threads - Mail App Faulty

2. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  3. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  4. Custom "sent" and "deleted" IMAP folders for Windows 10 mail?

Custom "sent" and "deleted" IMAP folders for Windows 10 mail?: When I add an existing IMAP account, it automatically uses "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items" folders, alongside my existing folders. Is it possible somehow to change these to use my existing "special" folders? Thanks....
  5. Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app

Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app: I left it running for two hours and got no messages. Had to force close Mail app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-add-an-imap-account-in-windows-mail-app/adf62488-ba04-451e-ab52-aa5f6d63b7de
  6. How-to choose IMAP folders in Windows Mail ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How-to choose IMAP folders in Windows Mail ?: [ATTACH] Hi there, I've used Windows Mail a long time now, and I love it. It's simple, useful and the UI is ultra clean. For the issue I'll describe, I use IMAP email with my gandi account. Recently while using my inboxes on another device, I noticed a weird behavior: I...
  7. Windows Mail - Adding an imap account

Windows Mail - Adding an imap account: Hello, So, I want to link my work mail account to the desktop app and no matter what I always end up having a "Can't get mail" message below my account. Step by step, here's what I'm doing : Under Account, select Add Account In the popup, choose Advanced setup and then...
  8. regarding faulty windows 10 MAIL app

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    regarding faulty windows 10 MAIL app: What is wrong with the Windows 10 MAIL app? I'm talking about the one with the little blue envelope logo. I've used it for years with no trouble, but lately it has been malfunctioning: when I type an email and press to SEND it, the email does not go into the SENT box. I...
  9. Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's

Windows 10 Mail App using own Sent Folder instead of IMAP's: Hi, I stopped using Outlook 2010 because of it's relatively clunky behaviour and it wasn't mapping IMAP folders very well, so I was over the moon when I gave the Windows 10 Mail app a go and found it to be relatively lightweight and actually seemed to be behaving quite...
  10. Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider

in Browsers and Email
    Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider: There is no way in the Mail App to explicitly specify a username for an email account - I guess it just assumes it's whatever is in front of the @ sign in the email address. However, my ISP uses the entire email address as the username for accessing the account, so I can't...