Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail App: Headers & Import/Export

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail App: Headers & Import/Export in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Anyone figure this out? I can't see a way to view e-mail headers and import/export e-mail in the stock Windows-10 Mail App. Hope it's possible, if not,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by nosecureboot, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Mail App: Headers & Import/Export

Anyone figure this out? I can't see a way to view e-mail headers and import/export e-mail in the stock Windows-10 Mail App. Hope it's possible, if not, FAIL!

:)

nosecureboot, Jul 30, 2015
  2. MacDr Win User

People - How do you import contacts into People for Windows 10?

I successfully moved contacts yesterday from Windows Live Mail (WLM) 2012 on a Windows 7 PC, into the
    People app on a Windows 10 PC -- but there are a few hurdles.

When the People app refers to "Import contacts", it really means "add account" so that you can "import" contacts from sources like Outlook, Exchange, Gmail and iCloud. So the first step is to get your contacts INTO one of those services (since mine were
    just in Windows Live Mail locally), and I chose to use Outlook.com as the service.

First, I opened Windows Live Mail, clicked the Contacts folder, and then the
    Export button in the Ribbon. I chose Comma separated values (.CSV) as the format. In the subsequent field export list, I clicked to include most of the unchecked ones (First Name, Last Name, Middle Name, Nickname, and others). There's no harm
    to adding all the fields you might find useful.

The People app included in Windows 10 has no Import feature, but the
    Outlook Web App "Outlook People" does. But even the OWA app has no feature to let you perform "field-mapping" of an import file. The best I could do was to log into Outlook.com - Microsoft free personal email and manually add a contact, then from the "Manage"
    menu in Outlook People choose "Export contacts" as a Microsoft Outlook CSV. Opening this contacts.csv file in a text editor let me compare the
    first line -- the "header row" -- to the header row of the .CSV I had already exported from Windows Live Mail. The Outlook People app has many more fields, but they match the exact names of the WLM .CSV just fine, with one exception: you
    need to add a hyphen to the WLM .CSV file's "Email address" header name, so that it says "E-mail address" instead. Don't worry that the order of the fields in the two header rows are different; the import will match
    fields that have the same exact name, no matter the order.

After fixing "E-mail address", I could now go back to the OWA Outlook People,
    Manage --> Import contacts
    , and choose "Windows Live Mail". It worked.

Final step: in Windows 10 I needed to add the Microsoft account to the People app there. Once done, then all of the contacts just imported into OWA Outlook People now synchronize and populate the desktop app as well.

Far from easy, but doable.

MacDr, Jul 30, 2015
  3. garym123 Win User
    Contact not syncing properly on WP8 Lumia520 (Phone numbers are not added)

Something in the export and import csv files had some of the contact info in the wrong spreadsheeet headers. You can export the contact list in outlook.com to see what is going on and edit it with the correct information. I had to merge three contact lists
    and I did it with csv files and Excel. Any decent spreadsheed program will work to edit the file.

Export your contact list in outlook, manage, export. It is a csv file.

The correct column header names have to be ' business phone ' ' home phone ' ' mobile phone ' ' e-mail address ' Other header names will not give the correct information when imported back in.

You will have to remove all contacts in outlook and import the corrected csv file back in.

garym123, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Mail App: Headers & Import/Export

1. Windows 10 Mail App: Headers & Import/Export - Similar Threads - Mail App Headers

2. Windows 10 Mail header problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail header problem: For reasons that don't matter I have both W10 Mail and Live Mail 2012 loaded on my machine. My wife has an outlook.com account in Live Mail and I have two Gmails and a Hotmail in W10 Mail.When I send a mail from any of the three addresses in W10 Mail when it is delivered the...
  3. Windows 10 exporting and importing users?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 exporting and importing users?: Hi,I have two PC's running Windows 10 Professional. On one of them, I have created quite a few users. I would like to create the same users on the second PC. I'd like each user to have the same password on both PC's, the same group assignments, and the same settings like...
  4. Windows 10 exporting and importing users?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 exporting and importing users?: Hi,I have two PC's running Windows 10 Professional. On one of them, I have created quite a few users. I would like to create the same users on the second PC. I'd like each user to have the same password on both PC's, the same group assignments, and the same settings like...
  5. Windows 10 exporting and importing users?

6. how to export contacts in windows 10 mail app

how to export contacts in windows 10 mail app: for some reason, the outlook 365 does not show all of my contacts but with Microsoft support agent, I was able to find my contacts in the Windows 10 mail app I have hotmail account. Now how do I export my contacts in windows 10 mail app so I can use in gmail?...
  7. Exporting e-mail from windows 10 mail app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Exporting e-mail from windows 10 mail app: I have to get e-mails stored localy on a computer exported so that i can innport them to Outlook on new computer. But the user only ever used the windows 10 mail app and pop e-mail. Any addvice? I have tried finding the file location with little luck. Found one path which...
  8. how to import WinLiveMail contacts export into Mail in Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to import WinLiveMail contacts export into Mail in Win 10: I need to know how to import WinLiveMail contacts export into Mail in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-import-winlivemail-contacts-export-into/fa4a4b1f-99c4-47d4-a596-ef989d1df366
  9. Exporting & Importing to new e-mail account

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Exporting & Importing to new e-mail account: I am closing an e-mail account that I have been using for many years. I am not worried about e-mails, the ones I need, I have copied to my new e-mail account. What has me stuck is getting all my contacts into my new e-mail account. I have tried exporting and importing without...
  10. Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10: How to: Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 How to Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 The People app included in Windows 10 puts all the ways you connect with all your friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances in one place,...