Windows 10: Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection

Discus and support Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As the title entails, I am recently having issues when trying to open a PDF in the Windows 10 Mail app. Regardless of changing the default app for this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidSherman2, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection

As the title entails, I am recently having issues when trying to open a PDF in the Windows 10 Mail app. Regardless of changing the default app for this file type to Adobe Acrobat Reader, clicking the box to remember my choice and countless other issues, it still asks me this every time, just on PDFs. I recently installed Adobe Acrobat DC versus the reader for work purposes.

Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection 1d84b785-fb5f-4a11-a5e8-060994e49dd1?upload=true.jpg

Since I assume it was related to that, I tried to uninstall and got this message:

Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection d81a99f5-fcf4-41e0-bd20-3133736d4ac4?upload=true.jpg

So my two questions are:

1. How can I stop this annoyingly consistent "HDYWTOTF"?

2. Why can't I uninstall a program on a computer in which I am the only user?

:)

DavidSherman2, Feb 27, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Feb 27, 2020
  3. philc43 Win User
    Cannot open mail app settings

OK, my next suggestion was going to be uninstalling Mail and Calendar and reinstalling from the Windows Store. You can have a go at this by following these steps.

1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell.
    2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    3. Enter the below command to remove the Mail and calendar app.

get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, install the Mail and calendar app from the Windows Store.

Hope this helps, you will, of course, have to add you accounts back again.

philc43, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hey Shawn,
    I did that to no avail, then I ran WSReset.exe; now I'm good on all 3, Mail, Calendar and People! *Confused
    Go figure!

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Edwin, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection

1. Windows 10 - Mail App - Not Saving "How do you want to open this file" selection - Similar Threads - Mail App Saving

2. "how do you want to open this file" persists after selecting "Always use this app to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "how do you want to open this file" persists after selecting "Always use this app to...: Recently migrated to a new laptop with Windows 11 with Office 365.Everything was normal for a while, but a day or two ago, I noticed that Excel and Word files I find using Cortana I think prompt me to choose a default program every time, even though I select "Always use..."...
  3. "how do you want to open this file" persists after selecting "Always use this app to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "how do you want to open this file" persists after selecting "Always use this app to...: Recently migrated to a new laptop with Windows 11 with Office 365.Everything was normal for a while, but a day or two ago, I noticed that Excel and Word files I find using Cortana I think prompt me to choose a default program every time, even though I select "Always use..."...
  4. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  5. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  6. "Do you want to open or save this file?" prompt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Do you want to open or save this file?" prompt: [ATTACH] Have a application that manages pdf and a built in viewer when someone is clicking through PDF. Every time a user clicks on a pdf now, rather than it just displaying the preview in the app, it shows them the following prompt. If they were to click Open then it...
  7. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  8. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  9. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  10. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...